Nzoner's Game Room>Fire Bob Sutton
petegz28 10:12 PM 10-19-2017
That is all.
[Reply]
carcosa 12:37 PM 11-06-2017
Bob Sutton fucking sucks!!!
[Reply]
gold_and_red 12:37 PM 11-06-2017
Reid is loyal more so to Sutton given that his D has carried the team for the better part of 5 years.
After this season is the perfect time to replace Sutton. New team identity, new direction with a young QB.
[Reply]
chiefzilla1501 12:39 PM 11-06-2017
Originally Posted by mnchiefsguy:
Bullshit. We are not mixing anything up. Running the same drop 8, rush 3 time and time again. Opposing offenses know no pass rush is coming, and opposing QB's simply have to wait for a WR to pop open. We see the same thing over and over again.
So we run the same coverages every time? Qbs aren't waiting for receivers to open. Right now in dime we are getting beat because we're doing a terrible job of defending jump balls.

Against a power offense like Dallas, that's something entirely different. That by the way was not a traditional dime. We ran a more traditional 3-4 front.

Blitzing is not some magic bullet. In dime, we have to do better on 50/50 balls. Miles better. Or cut them out entirely. In 3-4, we figured out how to limit the run yesterday, so how do we know balance stopping the pass too? We have to stop running dime on power, and I would hope we don't run power against a spread. And our situational playcalling has to improve.

The idea that we didn't mix it up yesterday is over simplistic. There's more to a defense than whether we blitz or don't blitz. And by the way, the past few weeks we've been doing a lot of 4 man rush.
[Reply]
BryanBusby 12:39 PM 11-06-2017
Originally Posted by T-post Tom:
Gibbs got the defense to 11th overall. When has Sutton done that?

If you don't like Gibbs, pick anyone else not named "Bob Sutton".
Sutton had a top 10 squad 2 years in a row.
[Reply]
Bewbies 12:41 PM 11-06-2017
Originally Posted by Aspengc8:
So tell me how do you scheme to the strengths of Sorensen, mitchell, gaines, acker, Zombo, poor gap integrity and poor tackling? I'm not a sutton fan.. did not like him back at Army and don't care for him now. You are crucifying him when there is nothing he can do to scheme around that.

I honestly want to know what YOU would do to scheme around these problem areas?
Coaching fixes tackling. Gap integrity as well.

Coaching also corrects what you suck at, and plays to your strengths and works as hard as possible to mask weakness.

Our players aren’t this bad. We have some tremendous players on our defense.
[Reply]
chiefzilla1501 12:46 PM 11-06-2017
Originally Posted by Bewbies:
Coaching fixes tackling. Gap integrity as well.

Coaching also corrects what you suck at, and plays to your strengths and works as hard as possible to mask weakness.

Our players aren’t this bad. We have some tremendous players on our defense.
We also have several starters who were cut from their teams. Not cut as in we can't afford you. Cut as in they couldn't beat the third string. And some that we could cut tomorrow and nobody would pick up. This might be the worst talent we've had in defense. Some of our players are underachieving. But half of our starters are average to terrible, and I don't think coaching can fix that.
[Reply]
The Franchise 12:48 PM 11-06-2017
Sutton deserves to be fired for the simple fact that he goes into prevent defense when the offense is in a 3rd and long situation. That and Peters isn't shadowing the #1 WR. Offenses know to just move their best player away from Peters for success.
[Reply]
BryanBusby 12:49 PM 11-06-2017
When you're in the bottom 5 for nearly every statistic, it's a talent and coaching problem.
[Reply]
Reerun_KC 12:50 PM 11-06-2017
Originally Posted by carcosa:
Bob Sutton fucking sucks!!!

Welcome to 5 years ago.
[Reply]
chiefzilla1501 12:55 PM 11-06-2017
Originally Posted by Pestilence:
Sutton deserves to be fired for the simple fact that he goes into prevent defense when the offense is in a 3rd and long situation. That and Peters isn't shadowing the #1 WR. Offenses know to just move their best player away from Peters for success.
Yeah, I don't know why we continue to have DCs that insist on keeping CBs contained to one side. Frustrating.
[Reply]
Eleazar 12:59 PM 11-06-2017
Originally Posted by BryanBusby:
When you're in the bottom 5 for nearly every statistic, it's a talent and coaching problem.
The idea that there's a ton of talent on this defense is overblown, IMO.

There are a couple of nice players but it gets very thin after that.
[Reply]
gold_and_red 01:02 PM 11-06-2017
Thinking about this a bit more, if Sutton deserves to be fired based on a 9 game sample, shouldn't Reid also go with him who has been running a 4 year atrocity of an offense? OL play has never been above average, abysmal running game, no true WRs, too many horizontal plays and FGs. I get the W-L record and the Smith factor (whom Reid handpicked) but I hope Mahomes can win with Reid not despite him.
[Reply]
Best22 01:12 PM 11-06-2017
Originally Posted by gold_and_red:
Thinking about this a bit more, if Sutton deserves to be fired based on a 9 game sample, shouldn't Reid also go with him who has been running a 4 year atrocity of an offense? OL play has never been above average, abysmal running game, no true WRs, too many horizontal plays and FGs. I get the W-L record and the Smith factor (whom Reid handpicked) but I hope Mahomes can win with Reid not despite him.
When Reid got here, the offense had Charles, Smith, and Bowe

The defense had Houston, Hali, DJ, Berry, Flowers, and Poe.

Basically, almost all of our talent was on the defensive side of the ball when Reid got here. The offense has gradually improved, even without spending a top 2 pick on the offense. Kelce, Robinson, Hill, Hunt, and Conley were all taken after the 2nd round

Defense was given Peters, Jones, Ford, and KPass (all 1-2 rounders). You'd think we'd be a better defensive team, but here we are

When Sutton is shortanded in the playoffs, you get the Indy debacle
When Reid is short handed, you get the Pats playoff game. Not great, but still scored 20 on a solid defense.

Also, a lot of our offensive shortcomings always came back to quarterback and Wide receivers. Dorsey never prioritized receiver in the draft like he did defensive back. But which unit is better?

Reid>Sutton
[Reply]
T-post Tom 01:33 PM 11-06-2017
Originally Posted by BryanBusby:
Sutton had a top 10 squad 2 years in a row.
Good call. Forgotten they were that high for 2 years. But they were also 24th for 2 years and 31st this year. I would love to know how many times they dropped Houston into coverage in the good years. And how many times they stuck with a 3 man rush on passing downs in the good years. All compared with this year. Maybe my memory isn't the greatest, but I don't ever remember the defensive scheme looking so lost. When is the last time the Chiefs' defense ranked 31st or 32nd?

Bottom line it's not just players or coaches. It's both. We can't change the players right now. So improve the coaches/coaching/DC. Not sure what else the team can do to improve the defense. Isn't the whole point to keep getting better? Can't get much worse than 31.
[Reply]
bevischief 01:36 PM 11-06-2017
Has I435 crossing guard not taken one for the team yet?
[Reply]
Page 30 of 298
« First < 202627282930 313233344080130 > Last »
Up