Pitcher

Edit:
Matheny fired 07/14/2018

Opening Day Roster
Spoiler!

[Reply]
BigRedChief 12:42 PM 08-21-2018
Originally Posted by jd1020:
I'd be surprised if a deal gets done with Harper.

At this point you cant expect to give up much to acquire him given that only 1 team is on the negotiating table and the Nationals would need to get more than what they would get from giving him a QO.
If anyone leaves in the waiver wire time period isnt that a 2nd rounder the recieving team has to give up for a month of the player?

Assuming a deal for less isn't worked out.
[Reply]
BigRedChief 12:44 PM 08-21-2018

sources: waivers have expired on Bryce harper. he is staying with nats.

— Jon Heyman (@JonHeyman) August 21, 2018

[Reply]
BigRedChief 12:45 PM 08-21-2018
Originally Posted by Marcellus:
We apparently traded for Matt Adams though.

Lefty off the bench?

Matt Adams will be in LA tomorrow. #STLCards

— Jim Hayes (@TheCatOnFox) August 21, 2018

[Reply]
jd1020 12:46 PM 08-21-2018
Originally Posted by BigRedChief:

Cock block claims.
[Reply]
O.city 12:46 PM 08-21-2018
The Nats are gonna end up with nothing from Harper.
[Reply]
BigRedChief 12:48 PM 08-21-2018
Cock block claims.
Murphy aint Harper. But, he's still a good player. Why wasn't he cock blocked?:-)
[Reply]
jd1020 12:48 PM 08-21-2018
Murphy aint Harper. But, he's still a good player. Why wasn't he cock blocked?:-)
Cardinals and Brewers arent smart? I dunno.
[Reply]
jd1020 12:56 PM 08-21-2018
Is Matt Carpenter going back to 3rd base or something? I can't figure out the purpose of acquiring Adams for you guys. Gonna have a platoon bench at first when Carpenter needs a breather or is Adams simply going to be a LH bat off the bench? He's 2-31 in 35 PA's this month.
[Reply]
BigRedChief 01:32 PM 08-21-2018
Originally Posted by Marcellus:
Yea I'm just trying to figure out where he fits.
anywhere once he gets some salsa in him.

Matt Adams “Big City” wanted some salsa when the Nationals were in town last week..Cordially I had to deny him of that request due to conflicting interests.. Now my friend I shall bathe you in it! #ItsGottaBeTheSalsa������

— Matt Carpenter (@MattCarp13) August 21, 2018

[Reply]
BigRedChief 01:46 PM 08-21-2018
Wisdom sent down to make room for Adams. Fowler to the 60 day DL to make room for Carlos. He’ll be ready to pitch tomorrow in LA. At least we don’t have to deal with the Fowler issue this year. Mo can dump him in the off season.
[Reply]
DJ's left nut 01:48 PM 08-21-2018
Sweet.

With Russell's struggles you can move Baez to SS and get a bat the team desperately needs to simply make contact with the ball on a regular basis.

Hopefully a deal gets done.
He'll beat us at least once.

I like the Adams deal, don't get me wrong. Adams is a nice bench bat and a guy that can take some ABs away from Jedd against tougher righties while not being a defensive liability at 1b.

But Murphy is simply a better player and a more natural fit. The Cardinals never should've let him get through to the Cubs and should have at least put a block on for him. Even if the Nats let him through for free (I doubt they would have), the Cards have the $ to absorb the salary. And if a deal can't get worked out, he goes back to Washington.

Letting Murphy get to Chicago is a mistake that will cost us a ballgame at some point, IMO.
[Reply]
DJ's left nut 01:51 PM 08-21-2018
Is Matt Carpenter going back to 3rd base or something? I can't figure out the purpose of acquiring Adams for you guys. Gonna have a platoon bench at first when Carpenter needs a breather or is Adams simply going to be a LH bat off the bench? He's 2-31 in 35 PA's this month.
Almost exclusively a bench bat and one we've desperately needed since we traded...Matt Adams.

We don't have a single credible lefty stick off the bench. Greg Garcia just goes up there hoping to foul off 4 pitches before getting hit by a pitch. Otherwise he's simply soft contact that can't even get a runner over.

With Munoz returning, the UTIL infielder spot is covered. They cut Garcia and install Adams as their primary lefty off the bench.

And yeah, he's struggling but he's a streak hitter and always has been. I suspect the hope is that he catches a hot streak for a few weeks and makes a difference. They'll find him a start or two a week against power righties that can get the ball above Jedd's hands (where they'll move Carpenter over to 3b), but for the most part, he's a bench bat.

I think the Cards could still use another one, to be honest. The bench is better with Adams instead of Garcia but it wouldn't hurt to get another 'pure' hitter from the left side in the Jose Martinez mold.

I dunno, someone like Daniel Murphy...

I hate that we didn't put a claim in on that guy. I do not believe waivers are a 'rolling order'. The Cards would've been ahead of the Cubs on anybody on the list. They could have - SHOULD have - claimed both guys.
[Reply]
DJ's left nut 01:55 PM 08-21-2018
The only issue I have with adding someone at this point from outside the organization, someone in the clubhouse doesn't already know and vouch for is upsetting the team chemistry.

These guys having each others back and being on the same page is why we are seeing baseball that matters instead of that "meh" crap Matheny was running out there every day.
Adams speaks to your chemistry concerns.

The guys on the team love that guy. People were genuinely upset when he got dealt last year and by all accounts he wasn't pleased to get traded either.

But then it was funny to hear the barbs from an 'unnamed former Cardinals' that surfaced almost immediately regarding Matheny. I think Adams will come back to STL re-charged by not having to deal with Matheny's idiot self and Mabry out there trying to get him to hit oppo.

Just go up there, look for your pitch and drive it, Big City. Do what you do big man. Budaska and Greer won't mind-fuck him like the last batch did. I think he'll be a nice addition.
[Reply]
BigRedChief 01:57 PM 08-21-2018
Originally Posted by DJ's left nut:
He'll beat us at least once.

Letting Murphy get to Chicago is a mistake that will cost us a ballgame at some point, IMO.
I don’t get this. Why would they not block the guy? It cost you nothing right?

I don’t think we are going to compete for the Central division title but why help your rival get better if you can stop it?
[Reply]
BigRedChief 01:58 PM 08-21-2018
Originally Posted by DJ's left nut:
Adams speaks to your chemistry concerns.

The guys on the team love that guy. People were genuinely upset when he got dealt last year and by all accounts he wasn't pleased to get traded either.

But then it was funny to hear the barbs from an 'unnamed former Cardinals' that surfaced almost immediately regarding Matheny. I think Adams will come back to STL re-charged by not having to deal with Matheny's idiot self and Mabry out there trying to get him to hit oppo.

Just go up there, look for your pitch and drive it, Big City. Do what you do big man. Budaska and Greer won't mind-fuck him like the last batch did. I think he'll be a nice addition.
yeah over 3/4 th’s of the locker room know the guy. I’m sure the coaches worked with him in the minors. Should be a smooth fit.
[Reply]
Page 207 of 301
« First < 107157197203204205206207 208209210211217257 > Last »
Up