ChiefsPlanet Mobile
Page 15 of 19
« First < 51112131415 16171819 >
Nzoner's Game Room>The Great Whisky (Whiskey) Thread!
Ming the Merciless 03:43 PM 09-16-2014

If this already exists, feel free to put a link to the proper thread...I searched and found a bourbon thread but alas , no whiskey thread which makes me think my search-fu failed....

But, in case there is not already a whiskey thread:

This thread shall be dedicated to all types of Whiskey.

I will try to make some sort of index up here, as more information is added.

*This is a work in progress...

Whisky / Whiskey
"A type of distilled alcoholic beverage made from fermented grain mash"
Each of the subcategories will be defined and include recommendations at different rough price points. Please feel free to post up a recommendation and I will try to get a rough price estimate....

Scotch

Map of Scotch Regions
Spoiler!
There are very strict rules as to which whiskies can be called Scotch. To be called scotch firstly and foremost, the whisky must be made in Scotland. Second, it must be made according to a manner prescribed in detail, by Scottish law. For more see here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Scotch_whisky

Single Malt Scotch

To be a "single malt scotch" the whisky must be a "scotch" (duh!) and ALSO be made of ' only water & malted barley at a SINGLE distillery via batch distillation' (see here: LINK)

Blended Scotch

Must be a scotch (see above)..but: Most whisky is blended. It is easier and cheaper to make better tasting whisky than if you attempt the difficult talk of making a single malt. Master blenders do tastings and come up with blends of many different whiskys to achieve a result that they feel is desirable.

Bourbon

Bourbon whiskey is a type of American whiskey: a barrel-aged distilled spirit made primarily from corn. The name is ultimately derived from the French Bourbon dynasty, although it is disputed whether Bourbon County in Kentucky or Bourbon Street in New Orleans inspired the whiskey's name.[1] Bourbon has been distilled since the 18th century.[2] The use of the term "Bourbon" for the whiskey has been traced to the 1820s, and the term began to be used consistently in Kentucky in the 1870s.[1] While bourbon may be made anywhere in the United States, it is strongly associated with the American South in general, and with Kentucky in particular. As of 2014, the distillers' wholesale market revenue for bourbon sold within the U.S. is about $2.7 billion, and bourbon makes up about two-thirds of the $1.6 billion of U.S. exports of distilled spirits.[3][4] (Wikipedia)

American Rye Whisky

In the United States, "rye whiskey" is, by law, made from a mash of at least 51 percent rye. (The other ingredients of the mash are usually corn and malted barley.) It is distilled to no more than 160 U.S. proof (80% abv), and aged in charred, new oak barrels. The whiskey must be put into such barrels at not more than 125 proof (62.5% abv). Rye whiskey that has been so aged for at least two years and has not been blended with other spirits may be further designated as "straight", as in "straight rye whiskey".[1]

Irish Whiskey

Most Irish pot still whiskey is distilled thrice, while most (but not all) Scotch whisky is distilled twice. Peat is rarely used in the malting process, so that Irish whiskey has a smoother finish as opposed to the smoky, earthy overtones common to some Scotches. There are notable exceptions to these rules in both countries! (Some Irish whiskeys use peat, many Scotches do not)

Japanese Whiskey

Japanese Whiskey production first began around 1870. They started out by trying to emulate Scotch Whisky. Areas of Hokkaido are known to have climates similar to Scotland, and the difficulties of single malt production make it such that mainly Japanese whisky is blended.

[Reply]
Prison Bitch 09:26 PM 12-24-2015
Makers 46 right now. Better than regular. Best under $50 for sure.
[Reply]
Indian Chief 10:36 PM 12-24-2015
Scapa 16 is a tremendous summer, sitting by the pool Scotch. I love it.

I haven't had Nikka barrel yet, but I do have the Nikka Coffey Grain and it is delightful. It's a grain whiskey though, so not for everyone. Has a distinctive sweetness that malt doesn't possess.
[Reply]
bricks 11:33 PM 12-24-2015
If you guys ever decide to come to Canada, there are 3 very good whiskeys you might wanna try:

-Gibsons finest
-Crown Royal (In honour of your beloved Royals hehe naw just kidding but that's the name of the whiskey)
-Canadian Club
[Reply]
ChiefAshhole1056 12:43 AM 12-25-2015
Just scored some Forester's Birthday Bourbon. Gonna give to dad for xmas.

I've been stuck on Balvenie 14/15 lately anyways.
[Reply]
SAUTO 08:58 AM 12-25-2015
Originally Posted by bricks:
If you guys ever decide to come to Canada, there are 3 very good whiskeys you might wanna try:

-Gibsons finest
-Crown Royal (In honour of your beloved Royals hehe naw just kidding but that's the name of the whiskey)
-Canadian Club
do you seriously think you have to go to Canada to get Canadian club or crown fucking royal?
[Reply]
lewdog 09:04 AM 12-25-2015

-Gibsons finest
-Canadian Club
Holy shit dumbass, I can get those here next to the Mexican border.

FUCK THE BLUE JAYS
[Reply]
dlphg9 09:18 AM 12-25-2015
I got a bottle of Eagle Rare. Has anyone had it before?
[Reply]
penguinz 09:36 AM 12-25-2015
Originally Posted by dlphg9:
I got a bottle of Eagle Rare. Has anyone had it before?
7 or 10 year? It is decent.
[Reply]
bricks 09:46 AM 12-25-2015
Originally Posted by JASONSAUTO:
do you seriously think you have to go to Canada to get Canadian club or crown ****ing royal?
Relax settle down, take a deep breath. Everything is okay. Make sure that pulse of yours don't spike too fast and hard because you'll just wear your heart out.

If you don't know how to breathe for relaxation all you do is say to yourself is one one thousand, two one thousand, three one thousand as you inhale and then four one thousand, five one thousand, six one thousand as exhale out.

Just saying top 3 whiskeys is Canada. Of course, you don't have to come to Canada to get it, but then there are other options like Canadian Club or Gibsons finest chacha.
[Reply]
dlphg9 10:11 AM 12-25-2015
Originally Posted by penguinz:
7 or 10 year? It is decent.
10 year
[Reply]
Indian Chief 10:41 AM 12-25-2015
Originally Posted by dlphg9:
10 year
When I was first getting into bourbons, I picked up a bottle of Eagle Rare and really liked it. Now that I've had quite a few more bourbons, I'm not as impressed with ER. There is nothing offensive about it, but it doesn't stand out either. However, it is still a solid whiskey.
[Reply]
OnTheWarpath15 11:20 AM 12-25-2015
Originally Posted by Indian Chief:
When I was first getting into bourbons, I picked up a bottle of Eagle Rare and really liked it. Now that I've had quite a few more bourbons, I'm not as impressed with ER. There is nothing offensive about it, but it doesn't stand out either. However, it is still a solid whiskey.
My thoughts exactly.
[Reply]
SAUTO 12:08 PM 12-25-2015
Relax settle down, take a deep breath. Everything is okay. Make sure that pulse of yours don't spike too fast and hard because you'll just wear your heart out.

If you don't know how to breathe for relaxation all you do is say to yourself is one one thousand, two one thousand, three one thousand as you inhale and then four one thousand, five one thousand, six one thousand as exhale out.

Just saying top 3 whiskeys is Canada. Of course, you don't have to come to Canada to get it, but then there are other options like Canadian Club or Gibsons finest chacha.
Im calmly telling you to shut your fucking suck hole
[Reply]
MotherfuckerJones 12:12 PM 12-25-2015
Bought myself a bottle of 17 year old Wild Turkey for Christmas. It's excellent.
[Reply]
OnTheWarpath15 01:53 PM 12-25-2015
Originally Posted by JASONSAUTO:
Im calmly telling you to shut your fucking suck hole
:-)
[Reply]
Page 15 of 19
« First < 51112131415 16171819 >
Up