ChiefsPlanet Mobile
Page 29 of 791
« First < 192526272829 303132333979129529 > Last »
Nzoner's Game Room>2019 Free agency Thread
O.city 03:24 PM 02-05-2019
We don't really have one of these yet, so figured we could use this as a place to discuss potential free agent acquisitions and what we would like to look for them to bring in.

If any of you guys are interested, heres a good place to do some research.

https://overthecap.com/
[Reply]
O.city 01:47 PM 02-19-2019
Thing is, for a pass rusher, 15 mil per year is what the average? If you can trade him for a nice deal, go for it.

But then you're gonna have to go out and sign or trade for another pass rusher somewhere. That won't be cheap.

Probably have to just cross your fingers
[Reply]
htismaqe 01:48 PM 02-19-2019
Originally Posted by RunKC:
Then what do we do?

That’s pretty much waving a white flag on this season. Pass rush was the best in the league on a shitty defense bc of 3 players and you get rid of 2 of them?

I don’t get that.
You try to keep Houston if you're that desperate to keep one of them.

I would NEVER, in any scenario, retain Ford and expect him to play like 2018 again.
[Reply]
htismaqe 01:48 PM 02-19-2019
Originally Posted by O.city:
Well, when he's playing for a contract, we have a pretty good track record of it.
"1" is not a valid statistical sample.
[Reply]
O.city 01:49 PM 02-19-2019
Originally Posted by htismaqe:
The only reason 7 years ago is relevant is because he's literally NEVER been fully healthy until this past year.

3 knee injuries, a groin injury, a severe abdominal injury, 3 back injuries, 2 back surgeries. And that's just off the top of my head.

Counting on Dee Ford to repeat 2018 is the definition of wishful thinking. If you add in the fact that he'll have a guaranteed base salary of over $15M, it's borderline foolish.
Depends on the dr's. If the back is ok I'm not as worried about the knee issues.

He's wanting a long term deal. Get him playing for that and the 15 m is not an issue.

He may get knicked up and miss a half or a game or something. That's football.

If he misses a chunk, you're definitely right here. We'll see.
[Reply]
htismaqe 01:50 PM 02-19-2019
Thing is, for a pass rusher, 15 mil per year is what the average? If you can trade him for a nice deal, go for it.

But then you're gonna have to go out and sign or trade for another pass rusher somewhere. That won't be cheap.

Probably have to just cross your fingers
Dee Ford isn't a pass rusher standing on the sidelines. Give me a guy with a history of playing 16 full games and getting 8 sacks a season and I'll take him over Dee Ford every time.
[Reply]
Simply Red 01:50 PM 02-19-2019
Nah.

As bad as the defense was with the guy, take away his sacks and forced fumbles.

They'd have ended up a wildcard or something.

He's got his flaws but he had a really good year last year.
I know - i'm being a tad ridiculous. All in fun
[Reply]
O.city 01:51 PM 02-19-2019
"1" is not a valid statistical sample.
I don't really buy into injuries as statistics though.

They aren't giving him a LTD for sure so if it backfires, it's a year and over.

It's a risk. But so is going out and singing someone else to rush the passer as you'd have to get into more than a single year deal. Ford's ceiling is an elite pass rusher.

They'll risk a year and 15 mil to try and get that in a push for a SB.
[Reply]
TambaBerry 01:52 PM 02-19-2019
I really dont think its going to be as tough to get sacks this year. They wont just be doing the same thing over and over they will be running stunts and creating holes and creative blitzes, this isnt suttons defense anymore. We could live without Ford
[Reply]
O.city 01:52 PM 02-19-2019
Dee Ford isn't a pass rusher standing on the sidelines. Give me a guy with a history of playing 16 full games and getting 8 sacks a season and I'll take him over Dee Ford every time.
Well, sure.

But find one of those guys for less than 15 million guaranteed this offseason.
[Reply]
RunKC 01:55 PM 02-19-2019
You try to keep Houston if you're that desperate to keep one of them.

I would NEVER, in any scenario, retain Ford and expect him to play like 2018 again.
Why?

Dee Ford has been healthier than Justin Houston since he entered the league.

Ford-67/80 games available=84%
Houston-59/80 games available=74%

Houston started sandbagging this year. He really had to be motivated by Justin Hamilton to make a play in the Ravens game...aka the most important game of the season at the time.
[Reply]
htismaqe 01:55 PM 02-19-2019
I don't really buy into injuries as statistics though.

They aren't giving him a LTD for sure so if it backfires, it's a year and over.

It's a risk. But so is going out and singing someone else to rush the passer as you'd have to get into more than a single year deal. Ford's ceiling is an elite pass rusher.

They'll risk a year and 15 mil to try and get that in a push for a SB.
Ford had 13 sacks. Is he really THAT "elite"? Furthermore, if they give him $15M, that's $15M less they have to shore up the back end of the defense, which needs gutted. If they give him that much money and he gets hurt, the season is probably OVER. No Super Bowl at all. They have too many needs to focus so much money on one player.

And yes, when you've been injured as much as Ford has, injuries ARE statistics. They're actually the main statistic. The most important ability for an NFL player is "availability".
[Reply]
JakeF 01:56 PM 02-19-2019
It's supposed to be a good year for Pass Rushers and a great year for Defense in general.

Do we tag Ford and lock up all the money when the cost for Pass rushers could be pushed down because of the draft?

I guess we can just hope Ford doesn't sign the tag immediately. It is just really worrisome that Ford exploded during his contract year. He got 10 sacks in 2010 but i think that's when he got 3 sacks in 1 game against the Chargers 3rd strong OT.
[Reply]
htismaqe 01:57 PM 02-19-2019
Well, sure.

But find one of those guys for less than 15 million guaranteed this offseason.
Any number of guys could be signed off the street for less than Dee Ford will make. Keep in mind he's getting a $15M base salary, guaranteed, all against the 2019 cap.

Nobody you sign will equal that because you'll be spreading them out over 3 or 4 years.
[Reply]
htismaqe 01:59 PM 02-19-2019
Originally Posted by RunKC:
Why?

Dee Ford has been healthier than Justin Houston since he entered the league.

Ford-67/80 games available=84%
Houston-59/80 games available=74%

Houston started sandbagging this year. He really had to be motivated by Justin Hamilton to make a play in the Ravens game...aka the most important game of the season at the time.
Dee Ford missed the combine because of his knee and despite being cleared to play in his rookie season (making him technically available for all 16 games) he could barely get on the field.

If you count his rookie season and this past one, those are the only 2 seasons in his entire pro AND college career that he didn't miss at least 2 games.

Stop comparing him to Houston. I don't even really care about Houston. I don't want this team giving that much money to Dee Ford in one year. It's too high of a risk for a guy that has never proven he can stay healthy.
[Reply]
Sassy Squatch 02:07 PM 02-19-2019
Dee Ford missed the combine because of his knee and despite being cleared to play in his rookie season (making him technically available for all 16 games) he could barely get on the field.

If you count his rookie season and this past one, those are the only 2 seasons in his entire pro AND college career that he didn't miss at least 2 games.

Stop comparing him to Houston. I don't even really care about Houston. I don't want this team giving that much money to Dee Ford in one year. It's too high of a risk for a guy that has never proven he can stay healthy.
Welp, better come to terms with it fast, because itshappening.gif
[Reply]
Page 29 of 791
« First < 192526272829 303132333979129529 > Last »
Up