ChiefsPlanet Mobile
Page 8 of 62
« First < 45678 91011121858 > Last »
Media Center>Science Fiction and Fantasy Books Only Thread
Buck 07:05 PM 03-20-2012
There is a great thread in the lounge about Books in general, but to be honest, all I really want to read is Sci-Fi (including post-apocalyptic), and Fantasy.

In this OP I will compile every poster's top 3 Fantasy/SciFi suggestions if they give me them. I will try to keep the posters in alphabetical order in case you want to find someone's suggestions easier.

CP POSTER SUGGESTIONS

Baby Lee
1. Fritz Lieber's Swords Against series.
2. George R.R. Martin's SoIaF series [no brainer that will probably make tons of other lists]
3. Umberto Eco, Foucalt's Pendulum [a little more obscure/forgotten to make up for GRRM]

Frosty
1.Raymond Feist - Riftwar Saga
2.Terry Brooks - Shannara series (starting with the Knight of the Word books)
3.Tad Williams - Memory, Sorrow and Thorn

Huffmeister
(1) Dune - Frank Herbert
(2) The Stand - Stephen King (1000+ page unabridged)
(3) Starship Troopers - Robert A. Heinlein (checkout the song by Yes, too. lots of great bass)

Jawshco
1. "Book of the Long Sun" by Gene Wolfe
2. "Paradise War" by Stephen R Lawhead
3. "The Dragonbone Chair" by Tad Williams

listopencil
1. Edgar Rice Burroughs, any series
2. Robert Heinlein, everything he has written in chronological order (but read Starship Troopers first)
3. Doc Smith's Lensman series

vailpass
1. The Science Fiction Hall of Fame Volume 1, 2A & 2B books are a gold mine for sampling the evolution of sci-fi. (below)
2.The Nebula Awards and Hugo Awards (selected yearly, pick a year)
3. Years Best SF Annual publication, pick any volume from 1 to the current volume 17
See Post 142
[Reply]
listopencil 10:28 PM 03-22-2012
I could go on but that's probably enough.
[Reply]
Jawshco 01:01 AM 03-23-2012
Top three is tough, but I'll try to go with ones you might not have already heard about:

1. "Book of the Long Sun" by Gene Wolfe
2. "Paradise War" by Stephen R Lawhead
3. "The Dragonbone Chair" by Tad Williams

Stephen King maybe too obvious to list, but IMO every SciFi fantasy fan should check out:

1. TALISMAN - Time and dimensional traveling werewolves set
in both modern and medieval times. The book almost has it all but unfortunately no human Roombas were not included.
2. The Stand- already read it? No problem! This book gets better every time.
3. Dark Tower Series - I can't wait for the new book. But will the new Book 5 and cause the old books 5,6,& 7 to become 6, 7 & 8?

BTW- if you liked Terry Goodkind's Wizard's First Rule & Stone of Tears, but dropped the series because the third book of the Sword of Truth series sucked so bad (and it does suck), skip to "Faith of the Fallen" which many consider to be his master piece and then skip to the 3 Chainfire series books- which are all pretty fun once they get going (well, unless you hate climatic endings that have as much to do with violent Soccer death matches where severed heads can serve as the ball as they do with epic Battles).
[Reply]
ChiefFripp 03:19 AM 03-23-2012
[QUOTE=Jawshco;8486063]Top three is tough, but I'll try to go with ones you might not have already heard about:

Stephen King maybe too obvious to list, but IMO every SciFi fantasy fan should check out:

1. TALISMAN - Time and dimensional traveling werewolves set

That AND Black House are my two favorite King books. Well King and Schaub.
[Reply]
jiveturkey 07:39 AM 03-23-2012
This was a great idea for a thread. My Kindle wish list has grown exponentially over the last couple of days.
[Reply]
Huffmeister 08:43 AM 03-23-2012
(1) Dune - Frank Herbert
(2) The Stand - Stephen King (1000+ page unabridged)
(3) Starship Troopers - Robert A. Heinlein (checkout the song by Yes, too. lots of great bass)

A lot of people like to bash on Koontz, but I like reading his books even if they are very formulaic. His Moonlight Bay series is particularly good. Currently, there are only two books in the series: Fear Nothing and Seize the Night. They're about a guy who has a (real) condition called XP that prevents his skin from being able to repair itself, so he has to avoid light. He roams the town at night, learning about the nefarious goings-on in his sleepy California coastal town, which include the nearby abandoned military base.

If you want a quick, entertaining page turner, check them out.
[Reply]
Baby Lee 09:05 AM 03-23-2012
Originally Posted by Brainiac:
Yes, I read it several years ago. In my opinion it wasn't great, but it wasn't terrible either.
Thanks for the info. In the meantime, I dug the book out to see what shape it was in, and noticed I also had a similarly damaged 'The Past Through Tomorrow.'

Better? Worse? Worth a read?
[Reply]
listopencil 09:56 AM 03-23-2012
Originally Posted by Baby Lee:
Thanks for the info. In the meantime, I dug the book out to see what shape it was in, and noticed I also had a similarly damaged 'The Past Through Tomorrow.'

Better? Worse? Worth a read?
Better.
[Reply]
Jawshco 10:32 AM 03-23-2012
Originally Posted by ChiefFripp:

That AND Black House are my two favorite King books. Well King and Schaub.
Yeah, I liked Black House too - A rare climatic ending in a King book was a nice surprise. However, Talisman is an absolute awesome, must read, why isn't this movie yet, type of book.

BDTMWFI!
[Reply]
Frosty 11:58 AM 03-23-2012
My three favorite fantasy series, based on if I would or have reread them are:

Raymond Feist - Riftwar Saga

Terry Brooks - Shannara series (starting with the Knight of the Word books)

Tad Williams - Memory, Sorrow and Thorn

I left out LotR as it is too obvious. It would be my true number one series.
[Reply]
keg in kc 01:39 PM 03-23-2012
If I'm limited to 3, then it's Dune at number 1, Song of Ice and Fire at number 2, and Azimov's Foundation series at number 3.
[Reply]
Hays 02:00 PM 03-23-2012
Originally Posted by whoman69:
I used to read more science fiction, but the last 25 years or so have only read fantasy.

Best of the field David and Leigh Eddings.

The Belgariad series
Pawn of Prophecy (1982)
Queen of Sorcery (1982)
Magician's Gambit (1983)
Castle of Wizardry (1984)
Enchanters' End Game (1984)
The Malloreon series
Guardians of the West (1987)
King of the Murgos (1988)
Demon Lord of Karanda (1988)
Sorceress of Darshiva (1989)
The Seeress of Kell (1991)
[edit] Books related to The Belgariad and The Malloreon
Belgarath the Sorcerer (1995) (Prequel) with Leigh Eddings
Polgara the Sorceress (1997) (Prequel) with Leigh Eddings

The Elenium series
The Diamond Throne (1989)
The Ruby Knight (1990)
The Sapphire Rose (1991)
The Tamuli series
Domes of Fire (1992)
The Shining Ones (1993)
The Hidden City (1994)

Best book series I have read!
[Reply]
Jawshco 06:19 PM 03-23-2012
Originally Posted by Frosty:
My three favorite fantasy series, based on if I would or have reread them are:

Raymond Feist - Riftwar Saga

Terry Brooks - Shannara series (starting with the Knight of the Word books)

Tad Williams - Memory, Sorrow and Thorn

I left out LotR as it is too obvious. It would be my true number one series.
Another Tad Williams fan? Awesome! I don't know a lot of people who know him.
[Reply]
patteeu 07:17 PM 03-23-2012
Originally Posted by Jawshco:
Another Tad Williams fan? Awesome! I don't know a lot of people who know him.
He writes such long books. I read his Otherland quadrilogy and it was pretty good, but I'm not sure it was a great value on a per page basis.
[Reply]
Hammock Parties 07:41 PM 03-23-2012
Originally Posted by Buck:
GoChiefs, what is your The Dig about?
A NASA expedition to check out an asteroid goes horribly wrong.

The crew ends up on an alien world millions of light years from earth.

At first glance it seems like a dead world. They explore fantastic ruins..and begin to discover things....AMAZING things...
[Reply]
Frosty 07:43 PM 03-23-2012
Otherland was kind of long but still enjoyable, especially if you like cyberpunk. I also really liked the Shadowmarch series. War of the Flowers was kind of weird but still a good read.
[Reply]
Page 8 of 62
« First < 45678 91011121858 > Last »
Up