ChiefsPlanet Mobile
Page 42 of 62
« First < 323839404142 4344454652 > Last »
Media Center>Science Fiction and Fantasy Books Only Thread
Buck 07:05 PM 03-20-2012
There is a great thread in the lounge about Books in general, but to be honest, all I really want to read is Sci-Fi (including post-apocalyptic), and Fantasy.

In this OP I will compile every poster's top 3 Fantasy/SciFi suggestions if they give me them. I will try to keep the posters in alphabetical order in case you want to find someone's suggestions easier.

CP POSTER SUGGESTIONS

Baby Lee
1. Fritz Lieber's Swords Against series.
2. George R.R. Martin's SoIaF series [no brainer that will probably make tons of other lists]
3. Umberto Eco, Foucalt's Pendulum [a little more obscure/forgotten to make up for GRRM]

Frosty
1.Raymond Feist - Riftwar Saga
2.Terry Brooks - Shannara series (starting with the Knight of the Word books)
3.Tad Williams - Memory, Sorrow and Thorn

Huffmeister
(1) Dune - Frank Herbert
(2) The Stand - Stephen King (1000+ page unabridged)
(3) Starship Troopers - Robert A. Heinlein (checkout the song by Yes, too. lots of great bass)

Jawshco
1. "Book of the Long Sun" by Gene Wolfe
2. "Paradise War" by Stephen R Lawhead
3. "The Dragonbone Chair" by Tad Williams

listopencil
1. Edgar Rice Burroughs, any series
2. Robert Heinlein, everything he has written in chronological order (but read Starship Troopers first)
3. Doc Smith's Lensman series

vailpass
1. The Science Fiction Hall of Fame Volume 1, 2A & 2B books are a gold mine for sampling the evolution of sci-fi. (below)
2.The Nebula Awards and Hugo Awards (selected yearly, pick a year)
3. Years Best SF Annual publication, pick any volume from 1 to the current volume 17
See Post 142
[Reply]
vailpass 06:31 PM 05-30-2019
Originally Posted by ShiftyEyedWaterboy:
They showed up. Gorgeous books. Here's an album I threw together with the intro.

https://imgur.com/a/3PPbarE

Edit: There are some spoilers in there, btw. You might want to finish Urth before you read it. Probably should've mentioned that when I first posted it.
Wow Shifty. Very nice looking set. Going to look this over when I have time to read the intros AFTER I get done with Urth. Thanks for the spoiler warning. Very cool of you to post.
[Reply]
Mennonite 08:32 AM 06-03-2019
I finished up Children of Ruin. It isn't bad, but it felt a little same-y compared to the first book. I think the author should have introduced some new themes or thrown a couple of unexpected curveballs at the audience.
[Reply]
vailpass 03:46 PM 06-03-2019
Originally Posted by Mennonite:
I finished up Children of Ruin. It isn't bad, but it felt a little same-y compared to the first book. I think the author should have introduced some new themes or thrown a couple of unexpected curveballs at the audience.
SSSSSHHHHHHHH
[Reply]
Discuss Thrower 01:44 PM 06-07-2019
Finished Roth's Great American Novel yesterday. Not specifically looking for SciFi to pick up; I'll take anything that isn't at all like GAN: not dense to the point of trolling the reader.
[Reply]
Mennonite 07:46 AM 06-09-2019
Finished up the Science Fiction Hall of Fame 2B.

The Machine Stops, Rogue Moon, and The Moon Moth were interesting.
[Reply]
Mennonite 11:41 AM 07-01-2019
Read two books by by John Scalzi. Redshirts and Old Man's War.

If you like late 2000s snarky blogger humor, you might like these books.

Next up: Spin by Robert Charles Wilson and then The Shadow of What Was Lost by James Islington.
[Reply]
vailpass 03:44 PM 07-01-2019
I finished CoR. It wasn't a bad read though the ending was unsatisfying.
Yeah, he recycled the theme from the first one no doubt.

I'm on Urth of the New Sun now.

Let us know how you like Spin. That's trilogy no?
[Reply]
Mennonite 10:59 AM 07-09-2019
Originally Posted by vailpass:
I finished CoR. It wasn't a bad read though the ending was unsatisfying.
Yeah, he recycled the theme from the first one no doubt.

I'm on Urth of the New Sun now.

Let us know how you like Spin. That's trilogy no?

Yep, Spin is a trilogy. I finished the first book last night. The concept/mystery is excellent and I enjoyed the book for the most part. My only criticism is kind of an odd one: I wish it wasn't part of a trilogy. I've been burned by too many tv shows and books that start off brilliantly and then blow it. I kind of wish this book was 50 pages longer and everything was wrapped up. Maybe the sequels will be just as good as this first book, but I'm always pessimistic about these things. Towards the end of the book Humanity invents some tech that I found a little confusing and at that point the books pace gets a little faster than it should have, imo. Kind of odd considering that the author has two more books to finish everything up.

Overall verdict: Good, and well worth reading. The mystery is fascinating and the characters are fairly interesting. Just go in knowing that some of your biggest questions won't be answered by the end of the book.

The Shadow of What Was Lost: This wasn't my cup of tea. Fantasy just may not be the genre for me. This too is part of a trilogy. Lots of time spent on worldbuilding, but it seems a bit derivative or at least not very innovative. The characterization is pretty dull as well. I'm not sure but this may in fact be a YA novel which may mean that I'm judging it too harshly.

Random opinion: there are too many sci-fi & Fantasy books written as multipart series instead of standalones.
[Reply]
Mennonite 10:11 AM 07-15-2019
Read the second book of the Spin Trilogy "Axis." It doesn't have the fantastic scientific speculation of the first book, only features one of the main cast of the original, and only takes a baby step toward solving the mystery at the root of the overarching story. Not terribly written, but a disappointment coming off the first book. I probably won't read the last book.

Since I was complaining about multi part stories I decided to read a standalone by the author of Spin called "The Harvest." Not particularly good. There was potential for a lot of sociological , religious, and political speculation with a heavy dose of sci-fi but there wasn't much of that. The characters were unsympathetic, the "alien invasion" had zero suspense, and the villain was lame.

I also read a collection of short stories by Ted Chiang called "Exhalation and other stories." Not as good as Story of Your Life, but contains a lot of intriguing ideas.
[Reply]
vailpass 10:45 AM 07-15-2019
Thaks for the Spin reviews, sounds like it goes on the "meh" shelf.
[Reply]
Mennonite 10:48 AM 07-15-2019
I tend to be overly picky. I'd hate to talk you out of reading something you might like.

The first book has some cool stuff going on. I just think it would have been better if he had wrapped everything up in that book, or at least had the sequel do so.

Edit: Anyone have a favorite Theodore Sturgeon short story they could recommend?
[Reply]
stumppy 11:27 AM 07-15-2019
Spinward Fringe series by Randolph Lalonde is one of my favorites. I think it's up to 12 or 13 books with a few spinoffs / side stories that are worth reading. Out of the entire series I've only been slightly disappointed in a couple of the books.
[Reply]
vailpass 11:32 AM 07-15-2019
I tend to be overly picky. I'd hate to talk you out of reading something you might like.

The first book has some cool stuff going on. I just think it would have been better if he had wrapped everything up in that book, or at least had the sequel do so.

Edit: Anyone have a favorite Theodore Sturgeon short story they could recommend?
Oh man that's a hard one, I'd guess everyone has a different answer. I guess Slow Sculpture is kind of a standard of his but it really is excellent.
[Reply]
Mennonite 11:52 AM 07-15-2019
Cool. I grabbed a huge collection of his stuff a while back and haven't cracked it open yet. I'll start with that one.
[Reply]
vailpass 04:03 PM 07-15-2019
Originally Posted by ShiftyEyedWaterboy:
They showed up. Gorgeous books. Here's an album I threw together with the intro.

https://imgur.com/a/3PPbarE

Edit: There are some spoilers in there, btw. You might want to finish Urth before you read it. Probably should've mentioned that when I first posted it.
I finished Urth. Gonna' read these now, next chance I get.
[Reply]
Page 42 of 62
« First < 323839404142 4344454652 > Last »
Up