ChiefsPlanet Mobile
Page 11 of 19
« First < 7891011 12131415 > Last »
Nzoner's Game Room>The Great Whisky (Whiskey) Thread!
Ming the Merciless 03:43 PM 09-16-2014

If this already exists, feel free to put a link to the proper thread...I searched and found a bourbon thread but alas , no whiskey thread which makes me think my search-fu failed....

But, in case there is not already a whiskey thread:

This thread shall be dedicated to all types of Whiskey.

I will try to make some sort of index up here, as more information is added.

*This is a work in progress...

Whisky / Whiskey
"A type of distilled alcoholic beverage made from fermented grain mash"
Each of the subcategories will be defined and include recommendations at different rough price points. Please feel free to post up a recommendation and I will try to get a rough price estimate....

Scotch

Map of Scotch Regions
Spoiler!
There are very strict rules as to which whiskies can be called Scotch. To be called scotch firstly and foremost, the whisky must be made in Scotland. Second, it must be made according to a manner prescribed in detail, by Scottish law. For more see here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Scotch_whisky

Single Malt Scotch

To be a "single malt scotch" the whisky must be a "scotch" (duh!) and ALSO be made of ' only water & malted barley at a SINGLE distillery via batch distillation' (see here: LINK)

Blended Scotch

Must be a scotch (see above)..but: Most whisky is blended. It is easier and cheaper to make better tasting whisky than if you attempt the difficult talk of making a single malt. Master blenders do tastings and come up with blends of many different whiskys to achieve a result that they feel is desirable.

Bourbon

Bourbon whiskey is a type of American whiskey: a barrel-aged distilled spirit made primarily from corn. The name is ultimately derived from the French Bourbon dynasty, although it is disputed whether Bourbon County in Kentucky or Bourbon Street in New Orleans inspired the whiskey's name.[1] Bourbon has been distilled since the 18th century.[2] The use of the term "Bourbon" for the whiskey has been traced to the 1820s, and the term began to be used consistently in Kentucky in the 1870s.[1] While bourbon may be made anywhere in the United States, it is strongly associated with the American South in general, and with Kentucky in particular. As of 2014, the distillers' wholesale market revenue for bourbon sold within the U.S. is about $2.7 billion, and bourbon makes up about two-thirds of the $1.6 billion of U.S. exports of distilled spirits.[3][4] (Wikipedia)

American Rye Whisky

In the United States, "rye whiskey" is, by law, made from a mash of at least 51 percent rye. (The other ingredients of the mash are usually corn and malted barley.) It is distilled to no more than 160 U.S. proof (80% abv), and aged in charred, new oak barrels. The whiskey must be put into such barrels at not more than 125 proof (62.5% abv). Rye whiskey that has been so aged for at least two years and has not been blended with other spirits may be further designated as "straight", as in "straight rye whiskey".[1]

Irish Whiskey

Most Irish pot still whiskey is distilled thrice, while most (but not all) Scotch whisky is distilled twice. Peat is rarely used in the malting process, so that Irish whiskey has a smoother finish as opposed to the smoky, earthy overtones common to some Scotches. There are notable exceptions to these rules in both countries! (Some Irish whiskeys use peat, many Scotches do not)

Japanese Whiskey

Japanese Whiskey production first began around 1870. They started out by trying to emulate Scotch Whisky. Areas of Hokkaido are known to have climates similar to Scotland, and the difficulties of single malt production make it such that mainly Japanese whisky is blended.

[Reply]
Faddy Yomama 10:37 AM 04-09-2015
Meh. Tried whisky, I'm too much of a wimp for it. Plus I'm still technically underage.
[Reply]
penguinz 10:43 AM 04-09-2015
Originally Posted by Faddy Yomama:
Meh. Tried whisky, I'm too much of a wimp for it. Plus I'm still technically underage.
You have to be able to grow pubes in order to appreciate a fine whiskey.
[Reply]
Faddy Yomama 10:44 AM 04-09-2015
Originally Posted by penguinz:
You have to be able to grow pubes in order to appreciate a fine whiskey.
Actually, my pubes are pretty strong. If you want, I can send you a picture.
[Reply]
RaiderH8r 11:07 AM 04-09-2015
Originally Posted by Johnny Vegas:
just a few pickups over the last 6 months. LOVE LOVE LOVE IT ALL

I would steal your booze before your tv.
[Reply]
RaiderH8r 11:09 AM 04-09-2015
Originally Posted by Amnorix:
Islay is like mixing cigar ashes directly into your scotch and then draining it through a filter prior to drinking.

Absolutely undrinkable. Can't even fathom how people like it (though I have some friends that do).
That's because you like your scotch the way you like your football teams. Without character.

Snoot snoot.
[Reply]
Molitoth 11:28 AM 04-09-2015
I've just gotten into scotch over the past year. Obviously I'm starting cheap and working my way up the price list.

So far I've purchased:

The Balvenie DoubleWood 12 <--My Fav
Glenmorangie Original 10
Glenmorangie Lasanta 12 <-- Really Good
Glenmorangie Quinta Ruban 12
Glenmorangie Nectar 12
The Macallan 12
The Glenlivet 12
Ardbeg 10 <-- Yuck! Too smoky
Chivas Regal 12
Dewars White Label
Dewars 12 <-- Pretty good for the price... Think I found a bottle for $23.
Johnnie Walker Red Label
The Famous Grouse
[Reply]
headsnap 01:12 PM 04-09-2015
Originally Posted by penguinz:
How can one get a hold of some of this? :-)
come to Kentucky. :-)
[Reply]
OmahaChief 01:49 PM 04-09-2015
Originally Posted by Johnny Vegas:
just a few pickups over the last 6 months. LOVE LOVE LOVE IT ALL

Excellent collection and a fine taste you have there.
[Reply]
Raiderhater 04-09-2015, 04:13 PM
This message has been deleted by Raiderhater.
Archie F. Swin 05:55 PM 04-09-2015
Originally Posted by Molitoth:
I've just gotten into scotch over the past year. Obviously I'm starting cheap and working my way up the price list.

So far I've purchased:

The Balvenie DoubleWood 12 <--My Fav
Glenmorangie Original 10
Glenmorangie Lasanta 12 <-- Really Good
Glenmorangie Quinta Ruban 12
Glenmorangie Nectar 12
The Macallan 12
The Glenlivet 12
Ardbeg 10 <-- Yuck! Too smoky
Chivas Regal 12 <----- ASS!!
Dewars White Label
Dewars 12 <-- Pretty good for the price... Think I found a bottle for $23.
Johnnie Walker Red Label
The Famous Grouse
helping
[Reply]
Molitoth 05:58 PM 04-09-2015
Originally Posted by Archie F. Swin:
helping
haha
[Reply]
RaiderH8r 08:09 PM 04-09-2015
If you like Yamasaki you might consider giving Hibiki a try. Made by the same distillery. A light and tasty whisky.
[Reply]
johnny961 09:25 AM 04-10-2015
I have always drank Canadian as I like a milder flavor that can be enjoyed. Crown Reserve chilled. Not a real big fan of a real harsh bourboney taste like Jack Daniels or Beam. I have never tried scotch though. Have wanted to just to experiment with something different. So from what I gather in this thread something milder like a glenlivet 12 or something similar might be a good bet? Other suggestions? Don't think I would be into something with a stout burnt peat bite. Just curious.
[Reply]
Amnorix 09:38 AM 04-10-2015
Originally Posted by johnny961:
I have always drank Canadian as I like a milder flavor that can be enjoyed. Crown Reserve chilled. Not a real big fan of a real harsh bourboney taste like Jack Daniels or Beam. I have never tried scotch though. Have wanted to just to experiment with something different. So from what I gather in this thread something milder like a glenlivet 12 or something similar might be a good bet? Other suggestions? Don't think I would be into something with a stout burnt peat bite. Just curious.

I like Crown Royal. Usually I take it on ice, while I prefer my scotch neat. :-)

If you also like Crown Royal (not sure if Crown Reserved is similar, as I haven't heard of or tried that one) and your taste buds are like mine, then take a look at Glenlivet 12 ("cheaper" option), and Oban 14 and Macallan 12 for more expensive (but not completely absurd) options.

FWIW, the best scotch I have had is the Glenlivet 25. I haven't had any scotch that was older than that. Some friends and I all pitched in to buy a bottle after one of our buddies made it through open heart surgery to repair a valve issue. I've had Macallan 15 and 18, and honestly can't see why it's worth a penny more than the 12 (which is also excellent).

Had several Balvenies, all of which are good. The 12, 17 (weird number, but whatever) (Madeira cask) and the 21 (Portwood). The friend and I who tried them both agreed that the 17 was quite excellent and, oddly enough, that we liked both the 12 and the 17 more than the 21.

So basically 17 > 12 > 21.

You would think that at least within the same family more aged would always equal better, but it isn't necessarily true in my experience. Other times, the difference is so marginal that it isn't worth the typically gigantic leaps in price.
[Reply]
Indian Chief 04:06 PM 04-10-2015
Originally Posted by johnny961:
I would ask what tasting notes you like in the Crown? I think that gives a good idea of what you might like. Milder flavor means you avoid the Islays for certain, and I'd take a guess that you'd like Speysides, like Amnorix pointed out. Oban has some punch to it, (not the burning tire covered in bandaids kind) but a strong flavor profile nonetheless, so I wouldn't start there.
[Reply]
gblowfish 07:12 PM 04-10-2015
I drink Crown Royal too. When I was in college, I'd shoot Wild Turkey in the bar until I fell off the barstool. Also drank lots of Jim Beam playing all night poker (and doing other things). Now I just drink Crown Royal now and again. I'm much more into quality than quantity when it comes to all types of alcohol.
[Reply]
Page 11 of 19
« First < 7891011 12131415 > Last »
Up