ChiefsPlanet Mobile
Page 7 of 38
« First < 34567 89101117 > Last »
Media Center>Star Wars Episode IX - SPOILER THREAD
DaneMcCloud 09:46 PM 12-17-2019
Star Wars Episode IX: The Rise of Skywalker had its premiere last night at the Dolby Theater in Hollywood. Non-Spoiler reviews and Twitter mentions are trickling out and they're overwhelmingly positive.

I'll be seeing the film Thursday night, 6:30pm PST but I'm not sure if I'll have time to post because we're traveling for the holidays, leaving at 4am the next morning. If I can't post Thursday evening, I'll get to it at some point over the weekend, maybe after I've seen it a second time.

It's a Spoiler thread but let's try to keep the real spoilery stuff in the Spoiler Tags through the weekend, just so we don't ruin the movie for someone that accidentally clicks on the thread.

Let's hear it! :-)
[Reply]
Hammock Parties 11:07 PM 12-20-2019
The way that Palpatine went out didn't even make sense.

This guy who's supposed to be a mastermind, and has been planning this for decades...goes out via the same tactic Mace Windu used on him circa 18 years before battle of yavin?

So not only did they put a character in the movie who should not have been in the movie, they didn't explain why he was in it - like THEY DIDN'T EVEN ATTEMPT TO DO THAT AT ALL - and then the things he did in the movie were just plain-assed stupid.

Fuck Jar Jar Abrams.

Dave Filoni spent more effort and imagination in resurrecting Darth Maul in a fucking cartoon.
[Reply]
Chiefspants 11:10 PM 12-20-2019
I remember reading a reddit thread that ruefully regretted that Luke didn’t go The Force Unleashed at the end of The Last Jedi.

Since I’ve legitimately wondered how many would have preferred that ending.
[Reply]
Eleazar 11:33 PM 12-20-2019
Originally Posted by Hammock Parties:
When films abandon logic and don't even bother to explain why characters are in a film, or how characters can be something they shouldn't be, they are bad films.

A bad film can still be entertaining.

This was like The Force Unleashed, which was horrible even by video game standards, got made into a ****ing movie.

Lazy action schlock.
The only people who seem to be savaging it are the hyper-nerds, who have built such a degree of expectation into everything the franchise puts out that they can't ever be made happy. Even the originals don't compare to these standards.

The sequel trilogy wasn't as good as the original but it had some good moments, and it was a hell of a lot better than the prequels.
[Reply]
Rams Fan 11:57 PM 12-20-2019
I think ROS just shat all over Palpatine's story arc.

They brought him back for hardly any action, didn't explain how he survived, and then reveal him to be Rey's grandfather?

GTFO

Also undermines Anakin's arc, too.
[Reply]
KurtCobain 12:01 AM 12-21-2019
Just got back from seeing it. It was fun, it was entertaining, it was a garbage story that seemed to be set out to cover up the garbage story of The last Jedi.
[Reply]
Hammock Parties 12:21 AM 12-21-2019
Originally Posted by Eleazar:
The only people who seem to be savaging it are the hyper-nerds, who have built such a degree of expectation into everything the franchise puts out that they can't ever be made happy. Even the originals don't compare to these standards.

The sequel trilogy wasn't as good as the original but it had some good moments, and it was a hell of a lot better than the prequels.
100% NOT true.

I'm a hyper nerd and I loved TFA and TLJ.
[Reply]
Megatron96 01:36 AM 12-21-2019
My buddy who is a huge Stars Wars fan and a commercial artist that saw the movie the day before it was released told me to stay away. Sometimes he gets caught up in the nit-pickery though. But he said the story is completely fucked up.

I'll probably catch it when it hits Amazon for 9.99.
[Reply]
Sassy Squatch 10:51 AM 12-21-2019
So what Finn wanted to tell Rey the whole movie was that he's force sensitive.
[Reply]
kysirsoze 11:30 AM 12-21-2019
Yeah this movie sucked. I know TLJ isn't popular on here, but at least Rian Johnson tried something and told a story that had some heart. This whole thing was just a response to the any fan boys flaming TLJ. Rey being a nobody was a great move that broke the cycle of heredity in the force that was way overdone. Abrams retconned it to appease fan boys. People bitched about lack of showy force powers so they amped the force up to 11.

The story made no sense, there were constant leaps on logic, and there was no real time given to any character or story element to develop. The most touching part of the movie was C3PO finally getting to be the hero and they even fucked that up with a laugh line and then undoing it. Man I figured it would be bland and full of fan service, but I didn't think it would be easily the fourth worst Star Wars movie ever made. Solo was better than this.
[Reply]
Hammock Parties 12:25 PM 12-21-2019
Originally Posted by kysirsoze:
I didn't think it would be easily the fourth worst Star Wars movie ever made. Solo was better than this.
Worst thing Disney has done.

On par with Attack of the Clones, and even that had a more sensible plot.
[Reply]
RustShack 12:59 PM 12-21-2019
Originally Posted by Hammock Parties:
Rian left it completely open-ended.

As it is, making her a Palpatine is just plain DUMB.

Not only is the setup not believable in the slightest, ANAKIN'S LIGHTSABER WAS CALLING TO A PALPATINE?

JJ Abrams is the biggest hack who's ever worked on popular movies.
Maybe it was calling to her because she was similar, but stuck with the Jedi instead of going to the Dark side. Or because the force knew the Skywalkers would take her in.
[Reply]
Hammock Parties 01:07 PM 12-21-2019
or maybe JJ is just a fuck
[Reply]
Sorry 08:52 PM 12-21-2019
Originally Posted by Eleazar:
I don't understand all the negativity. I'm not going to put it at the top of the list, there are some things I would change, but it wasn't a bad film overall.
The plot was dumb af. The ending was an avengers knockoff. The last battle scene was the biggest joke of all time. It should’ve been an epic battle but just like snoke, done in 2 mins
[Reply]
007 09:16 PM 12-21-2019
Originally Posted by Frazod:
A "meh" review from the guy who'd happily watch two hours of Jake Lloyd Anakin and Jar Jar playing holographic chess.

*shudder*
Yippeeee
[Reply]
Hammock Parties 09:21 PM 12-21-2019
I'm still just so annoyed by this movie.

It has some fun little things that make me enjoy about half of it.

But the rest is just a giant hamfisted shitfuck that totally invalidates any reason for the sequel trilogy to even exist.

Fuck Disney and fuck Jar Jar Abrams.
[Reply]
Page 7 of 38
« First < 34567 89101117 > Last »
Up