ChiefsPlanet Mobile
Page 145 of 200
« First < 4595135141142143144145 146147148149155195 > Last »
Nzoner's Game Room>****2018-2019 Official NBA Regular season thread****
dirk digler 05:23 PM 10-16-2018
Didn't see anybody starting this thread so I guess I will.

Anti climatic season starts tonight and my prediction is GS vs Boston in the NBA Finals.

First 2 Games tonight on TNT with Philly vs Boston and OKC vs GS. Westbrook is out tonight so that game will be a blowout most likely.
[Reply]
Jerm 02:05 PM 06-27-2019
Originally Posted by staylor26:
You mean like the Raptors before Kawhi? :-)

They did nothing but underachieve until Kawhi got there, while the Clippers overachieved last year.
Eh I mean more like every year everyone tries to talk the Clippers up and every year they underachieve.
[Reply]
staylor26 02:06 PM 06-27-2019
Originally Posted by Jerm:
Eh I mean more like every year everyone tries to talk the Clippers up and every year they underachieve.
Except nobody tried to hype them up last year, and they overachieved.
[Reply]
DJ's left nut 02:07 PM 06-27-2019
Originally Posted by dirk digler:
I heard about that the other day and thinking how stupid are the Rockets to give up Tucker, Gordon and Cappella just to get Butler.

If the Lakers are smart they would use the money they have to fill out their roster with good players instead of 1 more max player.
Name 'em.

Don't speak in generalities, actually sit down and do the math on what you can get for $28-30 million in 'good' players in this league. Like I said - Malcolm Brogdon is gonna cost at least $16 million on his own and I wouldn't be even a little surprised if that turns into $20 when all is said and done. That's a 'good' player. What you're talking about is veteran roster chaff.

The short answer is you can hope to get lucky, but most of the time you end up with overpaid role players who you're trying to dump within 24 months. The 'go sign 3 $10 million FA's approach' just doesn't work because of how the NBA works its cap.

For $30 million you can get Russell and see what shakes loose with the remainder or you can get, I dunno, Brogdon and Kelly Olynyk. I think you wildly underestimate what good but not great players cost right now, and what they're gonna cost in this market.

Get your stars. The high price of mediocrity in the NBA kills teams.
[Reply]
Jerm 02:07 PM 06-27-2019
Originally Posted by -King-:
Do you think Kawhi cares?
Do you think he cares about being "3rd fiddle" on a team that'll contend for championships for years to come?
[Reply]
staylor26 02:10 PM 06-27-2019
Do you think he cares about being "3rd fiddle" on a team that'll contend for championships for years to come?
Yes, I think he would.

He’s arguably the best player in the league, and at the very least he feels that he is. Why would somebody like that play 2nd fiddle to anybody? Not to mention somebody that has control of the entire organization.

There’s also the fact that he’d also be taking less money as opposed to staying in Toronto where he’s a god.
[Reply]
PAChiefsGuy 02:14 PM 06-27-2019
Yes, I think he would.

He’s arguably the best player in the league, and at the very least he feels that he is. Why would somebody like that play 2nd fiddle to anybody? Not to mention somebody that has control of the entire organization.

There’s also the fact that he’d also be taking less money as opposed to staying in Toronto where he’s a god.
He's not a God. Kawhi is too boring of a player and basketball isn't that popular of a sport in Canada for that.

I don't think anyone knows what Kawhi will do because he barely talks but I agree there is no way he goes to the Lakers. He is a competitor. He is going to want to lead his own team.
[Reply]
O.city 02:15 PM 06-27-2019
Dude, he just won one on his own and is the king of an entire country.

Like I said, if he wants to go to LA, go to the Clippers. Going to ring chase in Lebron’s shadow is worse. Why would you go from “King of the North” to being Lebron’s sidekick? Not to mention Lebron has more power in the organization than you do. Kawhi is arguably the better player too but wouldn’t be treated like it. That’s why it makes even less sense. At least KD was clearly the best player on GS.
Sure, all true.

But I don't think these guys really care that much about the whole "best ever" talk or whatever. Maybe it makes them soft or babies, but I just don't think it's something they really care about anymore.
[Reply]
DJ's left nut 02:18 PM 06-27-2019
Originally Posted by O.city:
Sure, all true.

But I don't think these guys really care that much about the whole "best ever" talk or whatever. Maybe it makes them soft or babies, but I just don't think it's something they really care about anymore.
And the ones that do get eviscerated for it.

I'm a huge Russell Westbrook fan because I think he's Kobe's spiritual successor; he's a killer out there and doesn't care who he pisses off in the process.

I love guys like that but they're undeniably a dying breed. There just aren't a lot of guys out there anymore that want to go THROUGH the best. They prefer go alongside 'em.
[Reply]
Jerm 02:19 PM 06-27-2019
No one knows anything about what Kawhi is going to do...who knows, maybe he wants to play with LeBron and AD...maybe he doesn't.

Maybe he loves Toronto, maybe he hates it there...

Fuck maybe he'll sign in Orlando.

The point being and I keep seeing it with NBA talking heads and fans is that you can't get a read on him so to dismiss any realistic scenario is foolhardy.
[Reply]
Jerm 02:22 PM 06-27-2019
Originally Posted by DJ's left nut:

I'm a huge Russell Westbrook fan because I think he's Kobe's spiritual successor; he's a killer out there and doesn't care who he pisses off in the process.

I love guys like that but they're undeniably a dying breed. There just aren't a lot of guys out there anymore that want to go THROUGH the best. They prefer go alongside 'em.
I just don't see anything wrong with that.

If I could make my job a lot easier, get paid out the ass for it, and get the acclaim...you'd bet my ass I'd do it.

I just hate the flack that modern day players get for it and we let a lot of legends with rings get a pass...Jordan, Kobe, Shaq, etc. they were all playing on stacked teams.
[Reply]
staylor26 02:22 PM 06-27-2019
Originally Posted by PAChiefsGuy:
He's not a God. Kawhi is too boring of a player and basketball isn't that popular of a sport in Canada for that.

I don't think anyone knows what Kawhi will do because he barely talks but I agree there is no way he goes to the Lakers. He is a competitor. He is going to want to lead his own team.
Lol do you see all the free vacations, free food, free whatever the fuck he wants offers he’s been getting to stay?

Yes, he’s a god in Toronto and the biggest sports star in the country.
[Reply]
dirk digler 02:23 PM 06-27-2019
Name 'em.

Don't speak in generalities, actually sit down and do the math on what you can get for $28-30 million in 'good' players in this league. Like I said - Malcolm Brogdon is gonna cost at least $16 million on his own and I wouldn't be even a little surprised if that turns into $20 when all is said and done. That's a 'good' player. What you're talking about is veteran roster chaff.

The short answer is you can hope to get lucky, but most of the time you end up with overpaid role players who you're trying to dump within 24 months. The 'go sign 3 $10 million FA's approach' just doesn't work because of how the NBA works its cap.

For $30 million you can get Russell and see what shakes loose with the remainder or you can get, I dunno, Brogdon and Kelly Olynyk. I think you wildly underestimate what good but not great players cost right now, and what they're gonna cost in this market.

Get your stars. The high price of mediocrity in the NBA kills teams.
I understand that average guys cost more in the NBA but currently the Lakers have 3 players under contract and if they add 1 more max player they will have hardly any money to fill out their roster. You have any aging player in Lebron who might have to play 35 minutes a game.

So if I was a Laker fan I would want Lebron to play way less minutes and have a deep bench ala earlier GS or like the Raptors. Don't know if they can afford that though.
[Reply]
staylor26 02:27 PM 06-27-2019
Originally Posted by O.city:
Sure, all true.

I literally said nothing about the “best ever” talk?

I’m just saying a guy that’s arguably better than Lebron today isn’t going to to want to play in his shadow and for a team that Lebron has complete control over.

I haven’t mentioned it yet, but part of the reason I’m so confident is how quick the Kawhi to Lakers rumors died down after they signed Lebron. It seems pretty clear if you’ve been paying attention that Kawhi doesn’t really want to play with Lebron. I think it’s become so obvious that it’s part of the reason he’s taking a visit. To show respect and not make it so obvious that Lebron signing there completely changed his mind.
[Reply]
O.city 02:28 PM 06-27-2019

In the end, I think guys are finding out it's all fluff and doesn't really amount to much anyway.

For years it's all about championships, guys go where they can win and it's that they didn't do it where they were drafted.

So they've figured out a cheat to the calculus and they just do it, get paid, and win.
[Reply]
DJ's left nut 02:28 PM 06-27-2019
I just don't see anything wrong with that.

If I could make my job a lot easier, get paid out the ass for it, and get the acclaim...you'd bet my ass I'd do it.

I just hate the flack that modern day players get for it and we let a lot of legends with rings get a pass...Jordan, Kobe, Shaq, etc. they were all playing on stacked teams.
I don't blame them - I might do the same thing.

But that doesn't mean I don't respect the hell out of the other guys. It doesn't mean I don't prefer root for the psychotically competitive dudes who would just as soon step on an opponents throat then help them off the ground.

I won't necessarily judge former, but I still like the latter better.
[Reply]
Page 145 of 200
« First < 4595135141142143144145 146147148149155195 > Last »
Up