ChiefsPlanet Mobile
Page 7 of 26
« First < 34567 89101117 > Last »
Media Center>Megadeth > Metallica
Dayze 11:51 PM 01-26-2014
To start off:
I'm a HUGE Metallica fan. In fact my first 5 years of playing electric guitar was solely based on Metallica. I started off playing Bluegrass guitar with my dad, even though my soul wasn't bluegrass.

My first exposure to Metallica was hearing "Nothing Else Matters" on MTV before school waiting for my buddy to pick me up for school. I asked my brother if he had ever heard of them, and of course he had. He handed me a tape that had zero information of it. in that all the 'font' (for lack of a better word) was gone. It was a simple 'blank" tape. It was weathered, and the only thing I could determine that it was a Metallica tape was simply my brother's word. It was Master of Puppets Within 4 weeks, I had owned everything of Metallica and had thrown bluegrass by the wayside.

Long loving Metallica fan for years; devoted. Having heard Megadeth and loving a few of their songs, I was still committed to Metallica. However, years later, I've discovered that I may have been premature in my categorization of music.

Years had passed since I had really 'listened' to Megadeth. Years, as in 10+. Then, I stumbled upon a Megadeth record. While it escapes my memory at this point, the collective memory of the tunes has lead me to the belief that Megadeth is better than Metalica.

While some, to what degree I don't know, may have always held this belief, the discovery of Megadeth is a new one for me. After listening to many records, Im beginning to feel more confident in saying that Megadeth is better. Obviously, it's subjective.

Metallica's "Black" Album is equivalent to Pink Floy'd "The Wall" in terms of impact. However, Megadeth's "Symphony of Destruction", has been severely over-shadowed by the 'Black" album of Metallica. Subsequently, as it had been up to that point, Megadeth had fallen by the wayside. "Symphony of Destructions' release around the same time, was over-shadowed by the Black album.

After what was a universal success of the Black album, Megadeth seemed to finally have received the kill shot. But, if we are to look at the records and time frame comparatively, I think Megadeth got the short end of the stick.

Since then, Megadeth has sustained their status despite radio and marketing support. I've listened to several Megadeth albums/tunes from the "Black" album going forward, and I must say they are not getting the credit that is due. In some aspects, they blow Metallica out of the water. To be honest, they are quickly surpassing Metallica.

I've always been a huge fan of Megadeth since the Mechanix type songs. But since Peace Sells Who's Buying album, Megadeth has gotten the shaft. By a LONG shot.

TLDR....but oh well.
[Reply]
L.A. Chieffan 11:51 AM 01-29-2014
Megadeth has had some great albums and some flops. Mostly the greats came in the early years and the flops in the later.

Metallica has had some great albums and some flops. Mostly the greats came in the early years and the flops in the later.
[Reply]
InChiefsHeaven 12:01 PM 01-29-2014
Originally Posted by Gadzooks:
You already blew it by posting a link to "Primus - Master of Puppets".
I thought you were my friend...:-)
I liked it...:-)

But, I have always dug Les.
[Reply]
L.A. Chieffan 12:06 PM 01-29-2014
Originally Posted by Simply Red:
If I state my true opinion - I'd lose friends here, so I'll just sit back and observe.
Megadeth is just too black sounding for me
[Reply]
Lzen 01:40 PM 01-29-2014
Originally Posted by L.A. Chieffan:
Megadeth is just too black sounding for me
Racist!

:-)
[Reply]
Gadzooks 06:12 PM 01-29-2014
Originally Posted by InChiefsHell:
I liked it...:-)

But, I have always dug Les.
Don't get me wrong. Of course I liked it and I'm certainly a fan of Primus.
Mr. Red, however, said he wouldn't state his opinion for the fear of losing friends yet he showed his cards through his sneaky link.:-)
[Reply]
Dayze 07:41 PM 01-29-2014
you are correct.

[Reply]
htismaqe 03:46 PM 01-30-2014
Originally Posted by Dayze:
you are correct.

Well, when I play my V, especially sitting down, my leg sits in the V and it's the TOP part that supports the guitar, not the bottom.

So in that sense, I don't see where the Jackson would be any less wieldy.
[Reply]
Easy 6 03:50 PM 01-30-2014
Originally Posted by htismaqe:
Well, when I play my V, especially sitting down, my leg sits in the V and it's the TOP part that supports the guitar, not the bottom.

So in that sense, I don't see where the Jackson would be any less wieldy.
:-) this is really sticking in your craw huh.

Whaddya want me to say, I just didnt enjoy playing that model at all, even less than the Warlock... swore on all my ancestors graves that I just HAD to have one of those until I spent some time playing one.
[Reply]
bdj23 03:55 PM 01-30-2014
Sorry but I disagree. I love Metallica and have since I was about 8. But I cannot stand Megadeth. To me Megadeth sounds like a metal band with Axl Rose as their front man.
[Reply]
htismaqe 04:05 PM 01-30-2014
Originally Posted by scott free:

Whaddya want me to say, I just didnt enjoy playing that model at all, even less than the Warlock... swore on all my ancestors graves that I just HAD to have one of those until I spent some time playing one.
No, not really. Just explaining that it really isn't an issue.
[Reply]
Pitt Gorilla 05:01 PM 01-30-2014
Originally Posted by BDj23:
Sorry but I disagree. I love Metallica and have since I was about 8. But I cannot stand Megadeth. But to me Megadwth sounds like a metal band with Axl Rose as their front man.
Mustaine is a horrible singer.
[Reply]
htismaqe 07:15 AM 01-31-2014
Originally Posted by Pitt Gorilla:
Mustaine is a horrible singer.
What does that have to do with anything? They're not singing gospel.

James Hetfield is a horrible singer too.

The godfather of speed metal, Lemmy, is the worst. And he's still a fucking god.
[Reply]
Gadzooks 02:11 PM 01-31-2014
Originally Posted by scott free:

Warlock, heh. My old singer got a Warlock as part of a package deal he bought off some guy, (he also got a monitor and cool home made cabinet). He gave the Warlock to me and I laughed for hours:

WTF was I supposed to do with this? The headstock was black so I thought of sanding it down and repainting it but it was such a piece of shit that it wasn't worth the effort.
[Reply]
htismaqe 02:14 PM 01-31-2014
Originally Posted by Gadzooks:
Warlock, heh. My old singer got a Warlock as part of a package deal he bought off some guy, (he also got a monitor and cool home made cabinet). He gave the Warlock to me and I laughed for hours:

WTF was I supposed to do with this? The headstock was black so I thought of sanding it down and repainting it but it was such a piece of shit that it wasn't worth the effort.
:-)

Unless you're Lita Ford, that thing is useless.
[Reply]
DMAC 02:18 PM 01-31-2014
Originally Posted by htismaqe:

James Hetfield is a horrible singer too.
Is...not was.

He had a couple golden years there where his vocals were a pleasure.
[Reply]
Page 7 of 26
« First < 34567 89101117 > Last »
Up