ChiefsPlanet Mobile
Page 11 of 13
« First < 7891011 1213 >
Washington DC and The Holy Land>NYC's $15 Minimum WageóNow Officially a Disaster
BucEyedPea 07:45 AM 08-13-2019
Real world proof, nothing Loneiguana claimed has materialized—and NEVER will.
New York City’s $15 minimum wage, which began to take effect Dec. 31, 2018, was meant to bolster earnings and quality of life, but for a lot of residents, it’s doing the opposite...

“Many people working in the restaurant industry wanted to work overtime hours, but due to the increase, many restaurants have cut back or totally eliminated any overtime work,” Andrew Riggie, executive director of the New York City Hospitality Alliance, told Fox News. “There’s only so much consumers are willing to pay for a burger or a bowl of pasta.”

Roughly 77 percent of NYC restaurants have slashed employee hours. Thirty-six percent said they had to layoff employees and 90 percent had to increase prices following the minimum wage hike, according to a NYC Hospitality Alliance survey taken just one month after the bill took effect.

Only about 4 percent of survey respondents indicated that none of the above changes took place in their restaurants.

“What it really forces you to do is make sure that nobody works more than 40 hours,” Susannah Koteen, owner of Lido Restaurant in Harlem, told Fox News. “You can only cut back so many people before the service starts to suffer.”

NYC restaurants are taking hits from Cuomo’s push, but Washington doesn’t seem to have received the memo. The House passed the Raise The Wage Act in July, which mandated a nation-wide $15 minimum wage. The bill was later blocked by the Senate.

The bill would have effectively doubled the federal minimum wage of $7.25/hr. There is dismal 6 percent support for a nation-wide $15 wage hike among economists, according to Fox News surveys.

Cuomo’s office did not respond to a request for comment from the Daily Caller News Foundation by the time of publishing.

https://nationalinterest.org/blog/bu...disaster-71761

[Reply]
Loneiguana 12:53 PM 08-14-2019
Originally Posted by El Lobo Gordo:
In nature, the natural order is an animal works until they make their nut. Unless you believe God has commanded that people who work 40 hours a week should not be in poverty, the bolded statement you made is just your opinion about how the world ought to be.

You have a desire that people who work 40 hours a week not be in poverty. There is nothing wrong with that desire. Where you become morally depraved is when you wish to strip from less desirable workers their ability to sell their labor for the benefit of more desirable workers. You're as evil as those racist democrats who implemented wage statutes to keep negros unemployed. You are more than willing to claim businesses that can't pay a living wage don't deserve to be in business. The reality is you are a coward because the real consequence of the policies you wish to implement imply that people who can't get employed at the minimum wage don't deserve to be in the work force.

[Reply]
RunKC 01:45 PM 08-14-2019
Originally Posted by Loneiguana:
Motivating people to get a skill and make more money doesn't require paying them under the poverty line.
Maybe getting laid off and replaced by automation will motivate them? We all know that no matter what happens businesses aren’t losing money paying more people. They’ll cut hours and/or people or just automate.

Doesn’t matter what laws may pass. Low skill workers will be the most impacted by technology as the years go on.
[Reply]
Loneiguana 02:07 PM 08-14-2019
Originally Posted by RunKC:
Maybe getting laid off and replaced by automation will motivate them? We all know that no matter what happens businesses aren’t losing money paying more people. They’ll cut hours and/or people or just automate.

Doesn’t matter what laws may pass. Low skill workers will be the most impacted by technology as the years go on.
If you can cut down on your employees and still meet demand, why aren't you doing it immediately?

Also, Yes automation is coming. Just remember that fine motor skills found in a lot of low skill jobs are among the hardest to automate. Meanwhile, supervisor or management skills are very easy to automate.

For example, what is easier to program a computer/robot to do: 1) Finely chop, measure, and combine ingredients in a Soup made at the Restaurant or 2) Take inventory/order more as needed/make schedules/track wait times

Automation is coming for everyone.
[Reply]
stevieray 02:31 PM 08-14-2019
Originally Posted by Loneiguana:

Automation is coming for everyone.
Not for me.

On the flip side, another real productive day today for you, huh?
[Reply]
El Lobo Gordo 12:29 AM 08-15-2019
Originally Posted by Loneiguana:
Wow, you really are a communist, aren't you? Sorry buddy, its not the governments responsibility to pay the labor costs of private companies. Tax payers shouldn't be on the hook because companies don't want to pay a living wage. The company and the consumer should have the burden of paying the labor costs.

If you can't pay a living wage (above the poverty line), your businesses is unsustainable and will require government assistance, either to the company or the employee. Seems you want to prop up horrible companies and the expense of the tax payer. What a communist.
The bolded part is just your opinion. It is not a fact of reality. Your argument is unpersuasive to anyone who does not believe the premise, it is an employer's responsibility to pay a living wage, is true.

Suppose an employee is making a living getting paid X dollars an hour. However his property taxes get increased by the state and he can no longer afford to live in his home. The employee goes from earning a living wage to not earning a living wage. Who is responsible for the change in the employees circumstances?
[Reply]
Hoopsdoc 02:06 PM 08-15-2019
Originally Posted by Loneiguana:
They could have employed half the workers without moving the thousands of miles you dipshit.

The reason they moved isn't not because of the minimum wage.
Thatís what Iíve been saying, you dotard. :-)

They couldnít have employed half the workers at the same plant in AS and produced the same product. Thatís the point. Thatís why they moved to a new, largely automated plant that also happens to be much closer to their target market. So they save both on the money paid to employees AND getting their products to their customers.

No matter how you try to spin this, youíre just wrong. Stop lying about it.
[Reply]
BucEyedPea 07:14 PM 08-15-2019
Automation will not replace everyone. Same thing was said during other periods of technological change. There will be different kinds of work for those who will replace automation.
[Reply]
displacedinMN 07:17 PM 08-15-2019
Originally Posted by BucEyedPea:
Automation will not replace everyone. Same thing was said during other periods of technological change. There will be different kinds of work for those who will replace automation.
I tell kids to learn how to fix machines, cars, hvac, weld and program computers. They will never be out of work.
[Reply]
El Lobo Gordo 08:28 PM 08-15-2019
Originally Posted by displacedinMN:
I tell kids to learn how to fix machines, cars, hvac, weld and program computers. They will never be out of work.
For the most part I agree with you. Regarding cars: Fixing brakes, steering, suspension might be worth while to learn but there is a good chance that the internal combustion engine/transmission largely go away in 15-20 years. I was considering purchasing a brake/alignment shop that came up for-sale recently. I would never consider purchasing an oil change/lube shop. Jiffylube might be the next Blockbuster.
[Reply]
stevieray 08:33 PM 08-15-2019
Originally Posted by El Lobo Gordo:
For the most part I agree with you. Regarding cars: Fixing brakes, steering, suspension might be worth while to learn but there is a good chance that the internal combustion engine/transmission largely go away in 15-20 years. I was considering purchasing a brake/alignment shop that came up for-sale recently. I would never consider purchasing an oil change/lube shop. Jiffylube might be the next Blockbuster.
Not gonna happen.

Always going to need fuel.
[Reply]
El Lobo Gordo 08:43 PM 08-15-2019
Originally Posted by stevieray:
Not gonna happen.

Always going to need fuel.
Not for a daily driver. I know people who get along just fine driving a Tesla.

If an order of magnitude improvement occurred in the energy density of batteries, it would be a safe bet that 15 years later ICE cars become a small minority of cars you see on the road.
[Reply]
stevieray 08:47 PM 08-15-2019
Originally Posted by El Lobo Gordo:
Not for a daily driver. I know people who get along just fine driving a Tesla.

If an order of magnitude improvement occurred in the energy density of batteries, it would be a safe bet that 15 years later ICE cars become a small minority of cars you see on the road.
Too many classics, among other things.

Not everyone does, wants to or can afford to drive a new car.
[Reply]
El Lobo Gordo 08:53 PM 08-15-2019
Originally Posted by stevieray:
Too many classics, among other things.

Not everyone does, wants to or can afford to drive a new car.
Some people still watch videos on VHS but I wouldn't recommend opening up a video rental store or going to school to learn how to repair VCRs.
[Reply]
stevieray 09:02 PM 08-15-2019
Originally Posted by El Lobo Gordo:
Some people still watch videos on VHS but I wouldn't recommend opening up a video rental store or going to school to learn how to repair VCRs.
apples and oranges.

video tapes aren't tangible.
[Reply]
BucEyedPea 09:16 PM 08-15-2019
Originally Posted by stevieray:
Too many classics, among other things.

Not everyone does, wants to or can afford to drive a new car.
They're being made too expensive to repair, driving up insurance rates. Little fender benders cost a lot more to fix now.

Car sales have been declining all year long.

I read Eric Peters—the car guy. He's pretty good.
Insurance costs have been skyrocketing because of the skyrocketing repair costs of today’s cars, which can suffer thousands of dollars in damage from very low-speed fender-bender accidents – because new cars no longer have bumpers....

Aluminum is being used in many new cars, also to save weight. But also more easily damaged – and much more costly to repair when damaged....

The total cost – including hidden costs – of buying an average new car now approximate the annual family income of the average American.

Is it any wonder people are shying away from buying new cars?

https://www.ericpetersautos.com/2019...ing-heres-why/

Just wait until we can only buy electric cars with is coming. Loneiguana will be pushing for a minimum wage of $30 an hour or more.
[Reply]
Page 11 of 13
« First < 7891011 1213 >
Up