ChiefsPlanet Mobile
Page 2 of 6
< 12 3456 >
Washington DC and The Holy Land>Military: considering 16 year old recruits
Prison Bitch 10:31 AM 07-21-2019
I guess nobody wants to die for Uncle Scam anymore

Military eyes 16-year-olds as ranks and candidates dwindle

By Ben Wolfgang - The Washington Times - Thursday, July 18, 2019

Last year, the Army fell short of its recruiting goal for the first time in a decade. The Army had set a goal of 76,500 recruits and pulled in just under 70,000, according to Defense Department figures.

https://m.washingtontimes.com/news/2...over-enlistme/

[Reply]
Over Yonder 12:17 PM 07-21-2019
Originally Posted by patteeu:
What makes you assume illegal aliens have no respect for our country or our laws? I mean, we probably should be screening for that kind of thing, but I don't think illegal entry alone justifies your comment. I'm guessing you've probably broken some laws in the past few weeks despite your overall respect for the law and our country.
Patt, the first step they took on American soil or breath of American air they took was against the law. Their very first act in this country was illegal. We are not talking about doing 57 in a 55 here.

If I snuck into your house, would you think I respected you or your house? I'm betting not. I certainly wouldn't if it were reversed. As a matter of fact, I would show you the business end of my favorite rifle.
[Reply]
GloucesterChief 12:27 PM 07-21-2019
Originally Posted by Over Yonder:
First, a 16 yr. old should not be allowed to make a life altering decision like this. They are too damn young. I've always thought 18 was even too young, but that's just my opinion.

Secondly, I wonder how much of these enlistment troubles are tied to a generation that spent 8 years of it's growing years being influenced by the likes of Obummer? 'America is bad, we are sorry'. When the man in the highest office hates America, it's bound to trickle down. Heck, just look at all the criers when Obummer left and Obummer II wasn't elected in 2016. Seems unlikely that a generation that has been raised to believe America is bad is gonna all of a sudden volunteer to put their life on the line to defend it.

The good news is, I raised my kids a little different. And have one of America's finest because of it (pat's himself on the back :-)) :-)
More like these kids grew up with the US involved in wars practically their whole life. They saw the injured both physically and psychologically come home. They were their uncles, friends siblings, and brothers.

Getting sent off to get killed/injured/see your buddies get the same in some Mid-East hell hole is really not appealing to most people.
[Reply]
patteeu 12:33 PM 07-21-2019
Patt, the first step they took on American soil or breath of American air they took was against the law. Their very first act in this country was illegal. We are not talking about doing 57 in a 55 here.

If I snuck into your house, would you think I respected you or your house? I'm betting not. I certainly wouldn't if it were reversed. As a matter of fact, I would show you the business end of my favorite rifle.
When they cross the border illegally, they deserve to be sent back. Some of them are bad people, but not all. And it doesn't make them bad people or people who don't respect our country or our laws any more than it does when you or I break laws. Spare me the grandiose "first step" bullshit. It's more like walking through your pasture than breaking into your house. Are you going to gun down the tresspassing neighbor kids who just want to take a shortcut across the back 40?
[Reply]
Over Yonder 12:48 PM 07-21-2019
When they cross the border illegally, they deserve to be sent back. Some of them are bad people, but not all. And it doesn't make them bad people or people who don't respect our country or our laws any more than it does when you or I break laws. Spare me the grandiose "first step" bullshit. It's more like walking through your pasture than breaking into your house. Are you going to gun down the tresspassing neighbor kids who just want to take a shortcut across the back 40?
If the neighbor kids are American citizens and pass through my back 40 without setting up camp and staying, no. Patt, I like your takes on a lot of topics, but this sure ain't one of them. NOBODY has the right to sneak into America. I don't give a damn if it's Mother Theresa or Gandhi. I don't care if they are good, bad, or other. My argument is, they are bad right from the start.

Just sharing my opinion. Make of it what you will :-)
[Reply]
Easy 6 12:51 PM 07-21-2019
There are a lot of illegal immigrants in the country who want a pathway to citizenship if we're having trouble meeting our recruitment numbers. It seems like a few years in the military would be a good assimilation enhancer.
I like it, at least for the DACA kids... but illegals need to be deported and work their way through the system like all legal immigrants

No respect for people who cut in line
[Reply]
BWillie 12:55 PM 07-21-2019
This is ridiculous.
[Reply]
patteeu 01:07 PM 07-21-2019
If the neighbor kids are American citizens and pass through my back 40 without setting up camp and staying, no. Patt, I like your takes on a lot of topics, but this sure ain't one of them. NOBODY has the right to sneak into America. I don't give a damn if it's Mother Theresa or Gandhi. I don't care if they are good, bad, or other. My argument is, they are bad right from the start.

Just sharing my opinion. Make of it what you will :-)
It's not about whether they have a right to do it. Of course they don't. It's about whether or not it's a hanging offense. I can't understand or agree with your thinking on this at all.
[Reply]
Iowanian 01:22 PM 07-21-2019
16 is too young to make that commit,end but if colleges start recruiting at 15-16 then I don't see why they can't start the conversation.

If you talk to a recruiter or a DI they will tell you there are less and less kids who can pass the physical every year. Fat. Lazy. Soft. Snowflakes. I sat in a presentation from a DI a while back promoting that schools(elementary-high school) do more to get kids in better physical condition.

I'm also on board with others..if immigrants want a short cut to citizenship, I'm all for citizenship for you and immediate family (wife and kids) with an honorable discharge at the end of 3-4yrs of service.
[Reply]
tmax63 01:22 PM 07-21-2019
I have to agree with OY here. It a big enough offense to send them back and make them come onto my property correctly(legally).
[Reply]
Iowanian 01:27 PM 07-21-2019
I've thought there could be some program to encourage productivity as well.

From your last day of HS(drop out or graduate) if you aren't employed full time or attending college/trade/apprenticeship within 6 months, you're doing 2-4 years in some military capacity. Everyone is t capable of combat duties but they can sure as hell cook, clean, mechanic or learn some support skills that might lead into a trade. If there isn't a military need, maybe something like the WPA-CCC program to do repairs and cleanup in commipunities of need. Either way you're doing something productive for yourself and society.
[Reply]
Over Yonder 01:31 PM 07-21-2019
At first thought, that sounds good. But thinking a little deeper, I'm not sure filling our ranks with people who have no respect for our country or our laws is the best idea for our nations defense. I would be closer to allowing our military to use these people for target practice/training than as recruits.
It's not about whether they have a right to do it. Of course they don't. It's about whether or not it's a hanging offense. I can't understand or agree with your thinking on this at all.
This is the post that started our exchange. Notice the term closer. I don't like either option, but I am closer to one side than the other. Actually, I'm a lot closer to one side than the other. I'm not sure robbing a bank is a hanging offense either, but I sure ain't gonna stay up late crying when a bank robber gets shot during the process of robbing the bank.

I'll bow out. There is nothing to be gained one way or the other. The American border will continue to be the punchline of a bad joke no matter what we decide here. Peace man :-)
[Reply]
Coyote 01:31 PM 07-21-2019
https://youtu.be/jnP-sTDtMi4

https://www.marinecorpstimes.com/new...ng-challenges/

Military and Army are interchanged by the press on purpose.

That said, a good economy is always tough on a voluntary military.
Why youíre seeing lots of bonus offers for retention, etc.

Kinda funny too look at old recruiting videos with the context of society at the time it was used.
[Reply]
GloucesterChief 01:38 PM 07-21-2019
Originally Posted by Iowanian:
I've thought there could be some program to encourage productivity as well.

From your last day of HS(drop out or graduate) if you aren't employed full time or attending college/trade/apprenticeship within 6 months, you're doing 2-4 years in some military capacity. Everyone is t capable of combat duties but they can sure as hell cook, clean, mechanic or learn some support skills that might lead into a trade. If there isn't a military need, maybe something like the WPA-CCC program to do repairs and cleanup in commipunities of need. Either way you're doing something productive for yourself and society.
Slavery is not an American value.
[Reply]
Easy 6 01:38 PM 07-21-2019
Originally Posted by Coyote:

https://www.marinecorpstimes.com/new...ng-challenges/

Military and Army are interchanged by the press on purpose.

That said, a good economy is always tough on a voluntary military.
Why youíre seeing lots of bonus offers for retention, etc.

Kinda funny too look at old recruiting videos with the context of society at the time it was used.
Loving that recruitment ad, my man had it all... a hot blonde and a Corvette
[Reply]
Coyote 01:44 PM 07-21-2019
Originally Posted by Easy 6:
Loving that recruitment ad, my man had it all... a hot blonde and a Corvette
Defend yourself makes me laugh. Iím surprised itís up on YouTube. All voluntary military start.
[Reply]
Page 2 of 6
< 12 3456 >
Up