ChiefsPlanet Mobile
Page 1 of 80
1 23451151 > Last »
Washington DC and The Holy Land>Purposeful media bias thread
Taco John 04:56 PM 04-18-2017
This thread is to chronicle the purposeful media bias that exists in every day life.
[Reply]
Taco John 04:57 PM 04-18-2017
Let's start with this one:

Fresno police say suspect in triple slaying told them he hates white people, shouted "God is great" before killings. https://t.co/rrSOzfEXaB

— The Associated Press (@AP) April 18, 2017



Anyone want to guess what this guy really said and in what language?
[Reply]
Just Passin' By 04:59 PM 04-18-2017
If you want to see a textbook example of the media deliberately slanting a story, follow what's going with this

http://www.msn.com/en-us/news/us/wom...ocid=DELLDHP15
[Reply]
Detoxing 04:59 PM 04-18-2017
Originally Posted by Taco John:
Let's start with this one:




Anyone want to guess what this guy really said and in what language?
Only an idiot looking for confirmation bias would assume that tweet is purposefully misleading.

What's AP's intent when they tell you "he hates white people"?
[Reply]
Lex Luthor 05:00 PM 04-18-2017
Originally Posted by Taco John:
Let's start with this one:




Anyone want to guess what this guy really said and in what language?
He said "Allahu Akbar", which literally translates to "God is great".

I for one am OUTRAGED that the AP translated what the terrorist said!
[Reply]
Detoxing 05:01 PM 04-18-2017
Originally Posted by Just Passin' By:
If you want to see a textbook example of the media deliberately slanting a story, follow what's going with this

http://www.msn.com/en-us/news/us/wom...ocid=DELLDHP15
Hey, at least you're a lot better at this than TJ is.
[Reply]
Taco John 05:02 PM 04-18-2017
Originally Posted by Detoxing:
Only an idiot looking for confirmation bias would assume that tweet is purposefully misleading.

What's AP's intent when they tell you "he hates white people"?

[Reply]
Detoxing 05:03 PM 04-18-2017
Originally Posted by Lex Luthor:
He said "Allahu Akbar", which literally translates to "God is great".

I for one am OUTRAGED that the AP translated what the terrorist said!
How in the world did you ever figure that out? THIS WHOLE TIME I THOUGHT "GOD IS GREAT" WAS REFERRING TO CHRISTIANS HERP DERP
[Reply]
Detoxing 05:03 PM 04-18-2017
Originally Posted by Taco John:
Answer my question, scrub.
[Reply]
DJ's left nut 05:05 PM 04-18-2017
Originally Posted by Detoxing:
Only an idiot looking for confirmation bias would assume that tweet is purposefully misleading.

What's AP's intent when they tell you "he hates white people"?
You're shitting me.

The dude wasn't speaking Arabic. If he'd have said "I'm from Las Angeles, assholes" they wouldn't have translated Las Angeles.

He was speaking English and threw an arabic phrase in there. The AP put direct quotations around a statement that was not a direct quote.

You really don't think that was purposefully misleading? C'mon...
[Reply]
Taco John 05:05 PM 04-18-2017
Originally Posted by Lex Luthor:
He said "Allahu Akbar", which literally translates to "God is great".

I for one am OUTRAGED that the AP translated what the terrorist said!
I love it when people make themselves look like idiots by playing along like this stuff is normal.
[Reply]
Lex Luthor 05:08 PM 04-18-2017
Originally Posted by Taco John:
This thread is to chronicle the purposeful media bias that exists in every day life.
Excellent idea, TJ. Here is a great example of purposeful media bias:

https://www.infowars.com/pizzagate-is-global/

Believe it or not, there is a regular poster on this forum who bought into the whole bullshit Pizzagate theory: hook, line, and sinker. He even started at least one thread about it, and he told us over and over again that it's a true story, and that even Hillary Clinton was involved in the child sex trade.

Of course, that poster is a 9/11 conspiracy theorist nut, and he has a history of being extremely gullible.
[Reply]
Detoxing 05:15 PM 04-18-2017
Originally Posted by DJ's left nut:
You're shitting me.

The dude wasn't speaking Arabic. If he'd have said "I'm from Las Angeles, assholes" they wouldn't have translated Las Angeles.

He was speaking English and threw an arabic phrase in there. The AP put direct quotations around a statement that was not a direct quote.

You really don't think that was purposefully misleading? C'mon...
No, i don't. I'll ask you the same question, if they're trying to make him sound softer, or "less arabic", why would they also state that he hates white people?

Seems to go against your idea that they're trying to hide what he is. On top of that, they include a link to the story that spells it out in full for you.

Are you to have me believe that people are so ****ing stupid in 2017 that they don't understand the term "God is great" and what it translates to?

Does every tiny thing have to be spelled out, and everyone needs their hand held to figure this out?

To me it's pretty ****ing obvious. Christians don't go around saying that shit and murdering white people.

At what point to we apply common sense and stop acting like we need everything spelled out for us?

It was pretty ****ing clear to me. /shrug
[Reply]
Detoxing 05:18 PM 04-18-2017
Originally Posted by DJ's left nut:
You're shitting me.

The dude wasn't speaking Arabic. If he'd have said "I'm from Las Angeles, assholes" they wouldn't have translated Las Angeles.

He was speaking English and threw an arabic phrase in there. The AP put direct quotations around a statement that was not a direct quote.

You really don't think that was purposefully misleading? C'mon...
And your example sucks. Do we incorrectly spell out everyone's dialect in newsprint?

Good god, imagine what it'd be like reading a Jamaal Charles interview...
[Reply]
DJ's left nut 05:19 PM 04-18-2017
Originally Posted by Detoxing:
No, i don't. I'll ask you the same question, if they're trying to make him sound softer, or "less arabic", why would they also state that he hates white people?

Seems to go against your idea that they're trying to hide what he is. On top of that, they include a link to the story that spells it out in full for you.

Are you to have me believe that people are so ****ing stupid in 2017 that they don't understand the term "God is great" and what it translates to?

Does every tiny thing have to be spelled out, and everyone needs their hand held to figure this out?

To me it's pretty ****ing obvious. Christians don't go around saying that shit and murdering white people.

At what point to we apply common sense and stop acting like we need everything spelled out for us?

It was pretty ****ing clear to me. /shrug
Your exact same position can be turned on its head, no? You're the one saying we don't need it spelled out for us yet you're defending the AP 'translating' 2 words from a quote that was otherwise entirely in English?

No - it doesn't need to be spelled out; it just needs to be...I dunno...quoted. And this wasn't a quote. At all.

You ask what their purpose in including 'hates white people' in their quote would be when the same question should be answered by you - what's the purpose of translating 2 words if, as you say, we 'don't need everything spelled out for us...'.

It's simple - they're trying to blunt the initial impact. Poorly, to be fair, but it's still what they're trying to do.
[Reply]
Page 1 of 80
1 23451151 > Last »
Up