ChiefsPlanet Mobile
Page 13 of 13
« First < 3910111213
Washington DC and The Holy Land>NYC's $15 Minimum WageŚNow Officially a Disaster
BucEyedPea 07:45 AM 08-13-2019
Real world proof, nothing Loneiguana claimed has materialized—and NEVER will.
New York City’s $15 minimum wage, which began to take effect Dec. 31, 2018, was meant to bolster earnings and quality of life, but for a lot of residents, it’s doing the opposite...

“Many people working in the restaurant industry wanted to work overtime hours, but due to the increase, many restaurants have cut back or totally eliminated any overtime work,” Andrew Riggie, executive director of the New York City Hospitality Alliance, told Fox News. “There’s only so much consumers are willing to pay for a burger or a bowl of pasta.”

Roughly 77 percent of NYC restaurants have slashed employee hours. Thirty-six percent said they had to layoff employees and 90 percent had to increase prices following the minimum wage hike, according to a NYC Hospitality Alliance survey taken just one month after the bill took effect.

Only about 4 percent of survey respondents indicated that none of the above changes took place in their restaurants.

“What it really forces you to do is make sure that nobody works more than 40 hours,” Susannah Koteen, owner of Lido Restaurant in Harlem, told Fox News. “You can only cut back so many people before the service starts to suffer.”

NYC restaurants are taking hits from Cuomo’s push, but Washington doesn’t seem to have received the memo. The House passed the Raise The Wage Act in July, which mandated a nation-wide $15 minimum wage. The bill was later blocked by the Senate.

The bill would have effectively doubled the federal minimum wage of $7.25/hr. There is dismal 6 percent support for a nation-wide $15 wage hike among economists, according to Fox News surveys.

Cuomo’s office did not respond to a request for comment from the Daily Caller News Foundation by the time of publishing.

https://nationalinterest.org/blog/bu...disaster-71761

[Reply]
stevieray 02:54 PM 08-16-2019
Originally Posted by El Lobo Gordo:
Locomotives use diesel to produce electricity to power traction motors which pull thousands of tons of freight. Electric motors are very good at pulling.
Diesel.

there's that pesky fuel again!

:-)
[Reply]
El Lobo Gordo 03:17 PM 08-16-2019
Originally Posted by stevieray:
Diesel.

there's that pesky fuel again!

:-)
Diesel has great energy density. Right now, i.c.e. cars are superior to electrics because the energy density of petroleum products is so much higher than lithium ion batteries. The energy density of diesel will never get better. However the energy density of batteries continues to get better and better. One day the energy density of batteries might get so good that people prefer to power their cars with electricity instead of gasoline.

It is possible to make diesel/gasoline from air and water but doing so is very energy intensive. You have to put way more energy into it than you will every get out of it. However if a technology like fusion comes along, electricity might become so cheap it isn't worth metering. If that were to happen you might never see a change from i.c.e. to electric cars. Gasoline would effectively become a disposable battery.
[Reply]
tatorhog 03:19 PM 08-16-2019
Originally Posted by El Lobo Gordo:
Locomotives use diesel to produce electricity to power traction motors which pull thousands of tons of freight. Electric motors are very good at pulling.
But you're still requiring the use of a fossil fuel for the electrical generation. By itself, sure there are electric motors that will outpull temporarily. And by itself, there are electric motors that may have more range. But as it stands right now, I don't see an electric motor giving me the best of both worlds that my oldie truck still has. And I would be surprised to see it in my lifetime.
[Reply]
Page 13 of 13
« First < 3910111213
Up