ChiefsPlanet Mobile
Page 1643 of 3903
« First < 643114315431593163316391640164116421643 164416451646164716531693174321432643 > Last »
Nzoner's Game Room>***NON-POLITICAL COVID-19 Discussion Thread***
JakeF 10:28 PM 02-26-2020
A couple of reminders...

Originally Posted by Bwana:
Once again, don't come in this thread with some kind of political agenda, or you will be shown the door. If you want to go that route, there is a thread about this in DC.
Originally Posted by Dartgod:
People, there is a lot of good information in this thread, let's try to keep the petty bickering to a minimum.

We all have varying opinions about the impact of this, the numbers, etc. We will all never agree with each other. But we can all keep it civil.

Thanks!

Click here for the original OP:

Spoiler!

[Reply]
tk13 08:30 PM 04-25-2020
Originally Posted by petegz28:
We are over counting deaths. Sorry but I just think we are. I mean if people even think the person has covid they are listing covid as the cause. Granted there are still a lot of people dying even so.
You're asking questions for the answers you want to get. It's just as likely we're undercounting them and there are probably flu and pneumonia deaths out there we're missing.
[Reply]
Bugeater 08:30 PM 04-25-2020
Originally Posted by DaFace:
My fear is that it's somewhere in the middle. If it spreads that fast, that means you need a REALLY high percentage of people to get it to reach herd immunity (i.e., 80-90% or higher). Even if we already have 20% of the population impacted (which seems like it's on the high side, but maybe), that means we still have 4-5x as many people who will die.

But I guess on the good side, social distancing won't really have much of a point if it's that high, so life will kind of go back to normal relatively quickly (aside from the death count).
"Closer" being a relative term. We thought we were nowhere near it, so yeah it's not over with by any means, but we could be several steps ahead of "nowhere near it". Again....we're all guessing at this point.

We also very well could be grasping at straws in our desperation for good news.
[Reply]
TLO 08:30 PM 04-25-2020
Originally Posted by tk13:
We've had this argument. I think the Sweden argument is terrible because one, they are still social distancing. Two, they have way, way more cases than their neighbors. If they do end up having way more cases and deaths and Norway and Finland it's going to look horrible.

Thirdly, they are an entirely different society. Right or wrong, it's easy for people there to support this strategy because they don't have to worry about medical billing.
Fair points all around.
[Reply]
O.city 08:32 PM 04-25-2020
Why wouldn't there be? Every nursing home, prison and meat plant this thing gets into shuts the whole place down and there are hundreds of cases. Imagine if people were working normally. We'd have millions of cases and hundreds of thousands of deaths. We already have 50K dead with most of our workplaces and entertainment options shut down and people unable to congregate in large numbers.
Deaths are lagging so the deaths were seeing right now are basically from what, right before we starting really locking down?

I don’t know about you guys, but going out and about a little bit randomly I don’t necessarily see people adhering to what we’re supposed to
[Reply]
dirk digler 08:32 PM 04-25-2020
Originally Posted by TLO:
Unless we see a drastic drop off in deaths within the next 2 week's, 100k is not out of the question. Plus we'll still have to see if deaths spike back up once we are "open for business" again.

There's so much unknown..

Yep, I am pretty confidant we will get close to 100k now but maybe we will get lucky. The original IHME model had us around 80k deaths, which now looking back is probably the correct projection

Originally Posted by O.city:
You think there’d me that many deaths already?

without social distancing? Absolutely. We are social distancing now and have 52k, just imagine if we weren't. All the hospitals would be over run and every major city would be NY or Lombardy
[Reply]
DaFace 08:33 PM 04-25-2020
We've had this argument. I think the Sweden argument is terrible because one, they are still social distancing. Two, they have way, way more cases than their neighbors. If they do end up having way more cases and deaths and Norway and Finland it's going to look horrible.

Thirdly, they are an entirely different society. Right or wrong, it's easy for people there to support this strategy because they don't have to worry about medical billing.
It's one of those that we likely won't really know until we're looking back. The theory is that they WILL reach herd immunity faster than everyone else and be done with it. Because of that, their current numbers of deaths aren't necessarily unexpected. It's mainly a matter of when they get it under control compared to everyone else.
[Reply]
O.city 08:34 PM 04-25-2020
My fear is that it's somewhere in the middle. If it spreads that fast, that means you need a REALLY high percentage of people to get it to reach herd immunity (i.e., 80-90% or higher). Even if we already have 20% of the population impacted (which seems like it's on the high side, but maybe), that means we still have 4-5x as many people who will die.

But I guess on the good side, social distancing won't really have much of a point if it's that high, so life will kind of go back to normal relatively quickly (aside from the death count).
I don’t know about that super high R0. I think it seems like it spreads crazy because we don’t know who the hell has is or who to isolate
[Reply]
petegz28 08:36 PM 04-25-2020
You're asking questions for the answers you want to get. It's just as likely we're undercounting them and there are probably flu and pneumonia deaths out there we're missing.
Yeah, no.
[Reply]
O.city 08:36 PM 04-25-2020
It's one of those that we likely won't really know until we're looking back. The theory is that they WILL reach herd immunity faster than everyone else and be done with it. Because of that, their current numbers of deaths aren't necessarily unexpected. It's mainly a matter of when they get it under control compared to everyone else.
My theory on it is that they will have a higher peak now, but they’ll be done faster and can get back to life or some semblance of it

Where as these other places that locked down so hard are gonna either have a second spike and have to do this again or have a drawn out lock down. That’s gonna cause a whole host of other issues and if they end up having to lock down again, I dunno that people will handle it
[Reply]
dirk digler 08:37 PM 04-25-2020
Originally Posted by petegz28:
We are over counting deaths. Sorry but I just think we are. I mean if people even think the person has covid they are listing covid as the cause. Granted there are still a lot of people dying even so.

I bet there was deaths early in the year that were Covid so it probably evens out if they were over counting which I don't think they are.
[Reply]
petegz28 08:38 PM 04-25-2020
Originally Posted by O.city:
My theory on it is that they will have a higher peak now, but they’ll be done faster and can get back to life or some semblance of it

Where as these other places that locked down so hard are gonna either have a second spike and have to do this again or have a drawn out lock down. That’s gonna cause a whole host of other issues and if they end up having to lock down again, I dunno that people will handle it
Yep
[Reply]
petegz28 08:39 PM 04-25-2020
Originally Posted by dirk digler:
I bet there was deaths early in the year that were Covid so it probably evens out if they were over counting which I don't think they are.
Yeah but now there is a financial incentive to label deaths as covid. Sad, probably a discussion not for this thread but still the truth.
[Reply]
lewdog 08:39 PM 04-25-2020
I’m likely getting tested on Monday.

Swabbing my brain I guess.
[Reply]
petegz28 08:41 PM 04-25-2020
Originally Posted by lewdog:
I’m likely getting tested on Monday.

Swabbing my brain I guess.
Well it will be a quick test so that's a good thing...
[Reply]
O.city 08:41 PM 04-25-2020
Originally Posted by dirk digler:
If that’s the case though (I think it probably is) and it was spreading then, why wasn’t any of our hospitals over run?

I think this is another thing we may have undersold a bit when we first started with all this. Our hospitals and medical system is here legitimately better than anywhere in the world
[Reply]
Page 1643 of 3903
« First < 643114315431593163316391640164116421643 164416451646164716531693174321432643 > Last »
Up