ChiefsPlanet Mobile
Page 1629 of 3903
« First < 629112915291579161916251626162716281629 163016311632163316391679172921292629 > Last »
Nzoner's Game Room>***NON-POLITICAL COVID-19 Discussion Thread***
JakeF 10:28 PM 02-26-2020
A couple of reminders...

Originally Posted by Bwana:
Once again, don't come in this thread with some kind of political agenda, or you will be shown the door. If you want to go that route, there is a thread about this in DC.
Originally Posted by Dartgod:
People, there is a lot of good information in this thread, let's try to keep the petty bickering to a minimum.

We all have varying opinions about the impact of this, the numbers, etc. We will all never agree with each other. But we can all keep it civil.

Thanks!

Click here for the original OP:

Spoiler!

[Reply]
Bowser 09:55 AM 04-25-2020
Originally Posted by Donger:
No, just noticing an amusing trend.
Yeah, it's pretty telling how YouTube de-monetizes certain channels and not others, but that's another topic for another thread.
[Reply]
KCUnited 09:55 AM 04-25-2020
Originally Posted by petegz28:
At some point logistics come into play...

You only have x amount of test kits
You only have x amount of resources to perform the tests
You only have x amount of resources to process the tests

And then you have to actually get the people to come and get tested
I've thought about this last point as apparently anyone in IL can go to the over 120+ drive through testing centers to get tested but I honestly have no desire because I don't have symptoms nor have been in contact with a known positive. So if that line of thinking is prevalent, then even when widespread testing is available, only those more likely to have it are getting themselves tested so the number of new cases will continue to look bad.
[Reply]
O.city 09:59 AM 04-25-2020
From what I have herd this is correct. The spreading in and of itself may not go down but the legality of the virus will as it adapts to humans. We have to keep in mind that viruses generally do not want to kill their host.

I have read a few things now where scientists have said that most likely over the next couple of years this virus will become just another virus that causes sniffles and we Lysol away like the other Corona viruses we deal with every day.
NOt necessarily that, but think of a bell curve. The area under the curve is the infections, the area above teh curve is the people immune. As one increases, the other has to decrease.

That leads to herd immunity which is what a vaccine does as well. But the RO drops as more people recover form infections (if they can't be reinfected) as they can't pass it on so the chain of transmission stops.
[Reply]
TLO 10:02 AM 04-25-2020
Originally Posted by Bowser:
They make a real strong pitch to open up everything real soon because there are way more people infected then we realize. They talk about how herd immunity plays a roll and the dangers of the economy being strapped for prolonged periods of time. It's basically all common sense talk, but they have the data to back up their claims.
I'm listening now. I wish the woman would stop interjecting. - Though as I get further in, she's not so bad.

And that reporter guy is obnoxious as ****.
[Reply]
Donger 10:05 AM 04-25-2020
They make a real strong pitch to open up everything real soon because there are way more people infected then we realize. They talk about how herd immunity plays a roll and the dangers of the economy being strapped for prolonged periods of time. It's basically all common sense talk, but they have the data to back up their claims.
If they didn't do random testing, how can you claim that their data is valid regarding the state-wide number of cases?
[Reply]
stumppy 10:16 AM 04-25-2020
If they didn't do random testing, how can you claim that their data is valid regarding the state-wide number of cases?
I would think most of the test subjects being symptomatic would make the entire thing inaccurate as hell when trying to determine state wide numbers.
[Reply]
petegz28 10:22 AM 04-25-2020
Originally Posted by stumppy:
I would think most of the test subjects being symptomatic would make the entire thing inaccurate as hell when trying to determine state wide numbers.
Don't we do similar every year when we estimate how many people have the flu? Asking for a friend.
[Reply]
ghak99 10:29 AM 04-25-2020
Okay and they should. But what if at the time the tests are taken someone tests negative but then gets it from somewhere else tomorrow?

I see what they are doing and agree they should. But you can't allow it to provide a false sense of security either.
A couple small food processing facilities have let out their plans to secure housing and are planning to isolate their workforce post test. There is also talk of another slightly larger facility renting a college dorm. This system obviously can't be implemented nation wide, but in certain circumstances it might work in the short term.

A fairly large operation had previously floated the idea of importing an already quarantined temporary workforce that could be isolated in a large temporary housing situation. I believe it was tabled when Union issues arose.
[Reply]
Donger 10:30 AM 04-25-2020
Don't we do similar every year when we estimate how many people have the flu? Asking for a friend.
https://www.cdc.gov/flu/about/burden...-estimates.htm
[Reply]
petegz28 10:32 AM 04-25-2020
https://www.cdc.gov/flu/about/burden...-estimates.htm
In other words, generally speaking, yes
[Reply]
Bowser 10:32 AM 04-25-2020
They can only go off the data they have, and they ARE allowed to extrapolate it out. They do this for not only California, but for New York and other countries going off of THEIR data.
[Reply]
O.city 10:33 AM 04-25-2020
They can only go off the data they have, and they ARE allowed to extrapolate it out. They do this for not only California, but for New York and other countries going off of THEIR data.
It the study is not properly set up, you can't really gain much from it.
[Reply]
Donger 10:34 AM 04-25-2020
As I said, they can but they shouldn't. If they didn't do random testing, and mostly tested symptomatic patients, of course their numbers are high.
[Reply]
TLO 10:34 AM 04-25-2020
Originally Posted by O.city:
It the study is not properly set up, you can't really gain much from it.
But haven't we seen other studies in different parts of the countries that have shown similar results?
[Reply]
TLO 10:35 AM 04-25-2020
As I said, they can but they shouldn't. If they didn't do random testing, and mostly tested symptomatic patients, of course their numbers are high.
What about the randomized tests that New York and Miami has completed?
[Reply]
Page 1629 of 3903
« First < 629112915291579161916251626162716281629 163016311632163316391679172921292629 > Last »
Up