ChiefsPlanet Mobile
Page 26 of 29
« First < 162223242526 272829 >
Nzoner's Game Room>Listen, people. We need to have a talk about a Chiefs name change at some point.
Rain Man 11:59 AM 06-29-2020
I think the odds are low of a name change, but given the current state of affairs it's a non-zero possibility. And if we don't have input, the name will end up being some trite adjective in front of the word Hawks, which has happened with pretty much every other sports name change in America. Green Hawks, Fighting Hawks, Screeching Hawks, whatever. We don't want that.

I suspect that some members of Chiefs management read this site occasionally to get our takes on who should be starting at left guard or how they should handle a particular contract, so this is our chance to have input into the process. (Oh, and hi, Clark. Nice work last year, my friend. PM me about getting together for dinner next time you're in Denver.)

So we'll have a renaming tournament. In this thread, you may propose up to three names, and I'll structure everyone's suggestions into heats. Using the Chiefsplanet brain trust, we'll give Clark and his team valuable input into what the Chiefs should become if we eventually delete our homage to indigenous plains cultures.
[Reply]
KCUnited 09:29 AM 07-06-2020
If the Chiefs were to deem the name Chiefs insensitive and change it, would wearing old Chiefs gear out in public get you cancelled?

Asking for my black friend
[Reply]
ptlyon 09:37 AM 07-06-2020
They can call themselves the Kansas city cock bags for all I care if they change their name. I'm done buying merchandise and definitely won't be attending another game.
[Reply]
Hammock Parties 09:43 AM 07-06-2020
Originally Posted by Mecca:
All of the things like warpaint, the chop, the drum etc don't help either.
you don't help either
[Reply]
patteeu 09:45 AM 07-06-2020
Originally Posted by jerryaldini:
Thanks for posting that. There is no good argument for keeping the name. Over the years the organization has associated it with imagery that locks native people in time as brutal savages, an image they have long struggled to overcome. That's not honorific. For some reason we've always thought it ok to caricature native people.

It's not political correctness to want to see the name changed. It's a matter of treating fellow citizens with respect. In this case, citizens who were pushed off their land and subjected to genocide. I hope the team changes the name and goes one step further by donating to organizations that work on behalf of native people.
Is this how they try to overcome the image?

https://youtu.be/JlxcIsxb6z4
[Reply]
Mecca 09:47 AM 07-06-2020
Originally Posted by Hammock Parties:
you don't help either
You know that the more you do to basically bring all those things to be a part of the team does nothing but make that push stronger...I'd personally tell them if they want to keep that name the best thing they could do is distance themselves from the Native stuff.
[Reply]
Baby Lee 09:49 AM 07-06-2020
I personally don't think changing the name does anything, I don't find it derogatory but I'm not Indian either. The issue we have here is it bothers some Natives and others it doesn't..yet all it takes is for 1 person to be mad and here we are.
Isn't the notion of the primacy of one offended person the rationale behind the Karen?

Are we actually getting this wrong, and we should be celebrating these brave women standing up for their consumer rights and autonomy when expressing their displeasure in the retail environment.
[Reply]
Hammock Parties 09:56 AM 07-06-2020
You know that the more you do to basically bring all those things to be a part of the team does nothing but make that push stronger...I'd personally tell them if they want to keep that name the best thing they could do is distance themselves from the Native stuff.
most of the people bringing this up have no idea what actually happens in the stadium

they're clueless
[Reply]
kcpasco 09:59 AM 07-06-2020
It would suck big time but could you just drop the name Chiefs and not replace it? Just be the Kansas City football team and leave the uniform alone. That way you don’t have to rebrand. Oh and fuck all this PC crap.
[Reply]
Rain Man 10:01 AM 07-06-2020
Originally Posted by kcpasco:
It would suck big time but could you just drop the name Chiefs and not replace it? Just be the Kansas City football team and leave the uniform alone. That way you don’t have to rebrand. Oh and **** all this PC crap.
I kind of like that, actually. Just differentiate on location. (We'll worry about deleting locations based on native american terms later.)
[Reply]
MagicHef 10:07 AM 07-06-2020
Originally Posted by Rain Man:
Quick question: are ermines native to Kansas City?
I found this wikipedia article fascinating:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ermine_moth
[Reply]
Rain Man 10:08 AM 07-06-2020
The more I think about it, why do we even have team mascots? All they do is take the glory of someone who has good or honorable traits, and steal them.

When I drive by some small town high school and I see "Home of the Spartans" on their building, do I really equate those gawky 16 year olds with the soldiers of an ancient high-ferocity military state? When I see a college that says, "Home of the Tigers", do I really think that their football team is the equivalent of a 700-pound killing machine?

No. It's stolen glory, all of it.

Now, that does argue that teams don't get named for derogatory reasons, so it's pretty much a logic proof on why team names are meant to honor those that they steal glory from. But that's an aside. If you want honor and glory, you have to go earn it yourself.
[Reply]
staylor26 10:14 AM 07-06-2020
Mecca, the SJW outstanding citizen, implied I was fake outraged over Kaepernick wearing a Fidel Castro shirt even though I’m Cuban and he tried to have my grandfather (an activist) killed.

Yet he literally defends ALL leftist outrage. Every time I point this contradiction out he disappears.

And he claims to be politically neutral.

What a buttfucking moron and a clown.
[Reply]
Mecca 10:17 AM 07-06-2020
Originally Posted by staylor26:
Mecca, the SJW outstanding citizen, implied I was fake outraged over Kaepernick wearing a Fidel Castro shirt even though I’m Cuban and he tried to have my grandfather (an activist) killed.

Yet he literally defends ALL leftist outrage.

And he claims to be politically neutral.

What a buttfucking moron.
I said myself I think it's stupid, it doesn't change though how things happen.

Although I enjoy you following me around talking about my posts it's awesome, I won't have to pay rent this month since I'm comfortably moved into your head.
[Reply]
staylor26 10:21 AM 07-06-2020
I said myself I think it's stupid, it doesn't change though how things happen.

Although I enjoy you following me around talking about my posts it's awesome, I won't have to pay rent this month since I'm comfortably moved into your head.
Nobody is following you around. I just continue to point out your hypocrisy when you try and justify real fake outrage, and this is the FIRST time you‘ve ever acknowledged it. Usually you don’t post again when I point out your bullshit.

Congrats on finally growing a pair you fat pussy. Now I’ll leave you alone about it.
[Reply]
HayWire 10:21 AM 07-06-2020
This would be a good compromise. I don't agree but it would be a start to calm everyone down.

Arrowhead: An arrowhead is the point of an arrow. In archaeology, arrowheads and similar artifacts are known as projectile points.

Warpaint: paint put on the face, the arms, etc., by Native Americans before going into battle

Tomahawk: The word "tomahawk" is derived from the Algonquian words Tomahak or Tamahakan meaning "used for cutting". The tomahawk was the Native American emblem of warfare - symbolized two sides of a coin: war and peace. ... To bury a tomahawk meant peace - to dig it up, meant to declare the most deadly warfare.

Chiefs: a leader or ruler of a people or clan.
"the chief of the village"
Similar:
leader
chieftain
head
headman
ruler
overlord
master
commander
suzerain
seigneur
liege
liege lord
potentate
sachem
leading
principal
premier
highest
foremost
supreme
grand
superior
arch-
directing
governing
number-one
Opposite:
subordinate
HERALDRY
an ordinary consisting of a broad horizontal band across the top of the shield.
adjective
most important.
"the chief reason for the spending cuts"
Similar:
main
principal
most important
uppermost
primary
prime

Chief:
Middle English: from Old French chief, chef, based on Latin caput ‘head’. (Leader)

I know that many others have made it a point to point out the meaning of the word "chief". That's not my intention.

I'm all for you convincing me why calling someone a chief is bad but calling a leader a "chief" is still confusing.

Chief, not a Chief.....if someone called me chief I would take it as a compliment.

Also, this is coming from the name of a professional football team.....think aloud as you read that.....a sports team. We're grown ass adults talking about the name of a team.
[Reply]
Page 26 of 29
« First < 162223242526 272829 >
Up