ChiefsPlanet Mobile
Page 4 of 140
< 1234 56781454104 > Last »
Hall of Classics>Broken Planes & Families, and the number 159
Frankie 01:17 PM 07-31-2011
Passenger jet breakes in two! How safe are those planes we ride everyday? :-)

http://news.yahoo.com/cheers-screams...185128270.html

GEORGETOWN, Guyana (AP) — Officials say a U.S. team is expected soon in the South American nation of Guyana to probe the crash of a Boeing 737 jetliner that all 163 people aboard survived.

Authorities so far have given little idea about the cause of Saturday's crash. The Caribbean Airlines plane ran off the end of a runway at Guyana's main airport and broke in two. About 30 people had to be treated at a local hospital, including the pilot.

The airline is largely owned by the government of Trinidad and Tobago and its prime minister has visited the crash site. Kamla Persad-Bissessar says she is worried that the accident will hurt tourism to the Caribbean, a region that depends heavily on the industry.
[Reply]
Hoover 07:21 AM 08-01-2011
This is why I don't fly Caribbean Airlines

Give me Delta, AA, or SW please.
[Reply]
Donger 07:26 AM 08-01-2011
Originally Posted by blaise:
There have been planes where part of the roof came off during flight. An Aloha Airlines flight had that happen.
Yep. That was an explosive decompression caused by fatigue, but the fuselage didn't break in half. They just got a really bitchin skylight.
[Reply]
jet62 07:43 AM 08-01-2011
Originally Posted by blaise:
There have been planes where part of the roof came off during flight. An Aloha Airlines flight had that happen.

This incident brought about changes as to how often aging aircraft are inspected for metal fatigue and corrosion. Although it was catastrophic and one flight attendant died, the airplane held together and was able to land. BTW… this is the same basic airframe involved with Caribbean Airlines Flight 523 proving that it had an incident on the ground right after landing (the photo shows the engine thrust reversers still deployed as they would be after landing).
[Reply]
Frankie 09:04 AM 08-01-2011
Originally Posted by Donger:
Yep. That was an explosive decompression caused by fatigue, but the fuselage didn't break in half. They just got a really bitchin skylight.
There goes that 'F' word again. Wonder where I saw that earlier in the thread. :-)
[Reply]
Donger 09:08 AM 08-01-2011
Originally Posted by Frankie:
There goes that 'F' word again. Wonder where I saw that earlier in the thread. :-)
There's a rather large difference between a chunk of fuselage ripping off and the entire fuselage failing completely and breaking in half, Frankie.

Look, you made a rather humorous goof. Just laugh it off like the rest of us are.
[Reply]
Phobia 11:21 AM 08-01-2011
No, clearly Frankie is right. He found a small detail which aligns slightly with his agenda and now aircraft shred apart in mid-air for no reason at all other than because Frankie said so. The worlds-a-changin...
[Reply]
LiveSteam 11:21 AM 08-01-2011
One of my all time favorite air accidents

[Reply]
Pants 11:22 AM 08-01-2011
There's a rather large difference between a chunk of fuselage ripping off and the entire fuselage failing completely and breaking in half, Frankie.

Look, you made a rather humorous goof. Just laugh it off like the rest of us are.
I told you he was serious. :-)
[Reply]
Donger 11:29 AM 08-01-2011
Originally Posted by Pants:
I told you he was serious. :-)
I fear that you may be right. At least he has the common sense not to post in here again.
[Reply]
Reerun_KC 11:46 AM 08-01-2011
I have flown through some crazy weather before. I wondered if the damn plane was going together or not...
[Reply]
Rain Man 12:03 PM 08-01-2011
Originally Posted by LiveSteam:
One of my all time favorite air accidents

My goodness. Was the Ken doll able to eject? I couldn't tell.
[Reply]
Donger 12:26 PM 08-01-2011
Originally Posted by Rain Man:
My goodness. Was the Ken doll able to eject? I couldn't tell.
I see something eject at precisely 17 seconds.
[Reply]
Frankie 12:30 PM 08-01-2011
Originally Posted by Phobia:
No, clearly Frankie is right. He found a small detail which aligns slightly with his agenda and now aircraft shred apart in mid-air for no reason at all other than because Frankie said so. The worlds-a-changin...
Way to exaggerate, dude. And what is my "agenda?!" All I indicated was structural fatigue and lack of proper maintenance can happen and yes it's scary. You guys just went to town with a small issue topic. :-)
[Reply]
Donger 12:46 PM 08-01-2011
Originally Posted by Frankie:
Way to exaggerate, dude. And what is my "agenda?!" All I indicated was structural fatigue and lack of proper maintenance can happen and yes it's scary. You guys just went to town with a small issue topic. :-)
No, you foolishly thought that a commercial aircraft could have such a failure while in flight (apparently). Did you really think that was possible?
[Reply]
loochy 12:49 PM 08-01-2011
No, you foolishly thought that a commercial aircraft could have such a failure while in flight (apparently). Did you really think that was possible?
But it's broken in half!
[Reply]
Page 4 of 140
< 1234 56781454104 > Last »
Up