ChiefsPlanet Mobile
Page 36 of 58
« First < 263233343536 3738394046 > Last »
Nzoner's Game Room>Chiefs close to a deal with Tyrann Mathieu (now confirmed)
Dante84 05:22 PM 03-11-2019

The Chiefs are close to a deal with S Tyrann Mathieu, I’m told

— Terez A. Paylor (@TerezPaylor) March 11, 2019

Former Texans’ S Tyrann Mathieu intends to sign a three-year, $42 million deal with the Kansas City Chiefs, per a league source.

— Adam Schefter (@AdamSchefter) March 11, 2019

DJ's left nut 09:30 AM 03-12-2019
Originally Posted by htismaqe:
Not at all. He was great in AZ. Not sure what happened last year, might just be that Houston's secondary wasn't all that good.
Here's what I don't understand.

The Chiefs had needs in the secondary last year, no? Pretty obvious ones even IF you're including a healthy Berry.

And Mathieu was available last season on a multi-year deal for anyone willing to pay him $9 million/season in AAV on a long-term deal.

Nobody was. Then on his 1 year, 'make good' deal, he struggles in coverage. And NOW the Chiefs want to give him $14 million? Where the !@#$ were they last season? Why do the Chiefs seem to constantly be a year behind on guys?

It just frustrates me that they pay the MSRP on all these guys instead of trying to find some values with long-term upside. The time to have tried to get Matthieu on a long-term deal was last off-season when he was younger and coming off a better season in AZ than he just had in Houston. What light bulb suddenly flickered on in the warrooom that made these guys realize "hey wait, we could actually use him afterall!" And in fact they decided they could use him so much that they're willing to pay him double what he made last season coming off a fairly pedestrian season.

Just too many reactive signings by this front office and when you just keep doing that, they start to add up to some serious cap troubles over the long-haul.
pugsnotdrugs19 09:31 AM 03-12-2019
They didn’t have enough cap space at the time last year to make a great offer. And he wasn’t bad in coverage. Maybe not his best year, but far from bad.
The Franchise 09:32 AM 03-12-2019
Originally Posted by DJ's left nut:

The Chiefs had needs in the secondary last year, no? Pretty obvious ones even IF you're including a healthy Berry.

And Mathieu was available last season on a multi-year deal for anyone willing to pay him $9 million/season in AAV on a long-term deal.

Nobody was. Then on his 1 year, 'make good' deal, he struggles in coverage. And NOW the Chiefs want to give him $14 million? Where the !@#$ were they last season? Why do the Chiefs seem to constantly be a year behind on guys?

It just frustrates me that they pay the MSRP on all these guys instead of trying to find some values with long-term upside. The time to have tried to get Matthieu on a long-term deal was last off-season when he was younger and coming off a better season in AZ than he just had in Houston. What light bulb suddenly flickered on in the warrooom that made these guys realize "hey wait, we could actually use him afterall!"

Just too many reactive signings by this front office and when you just keep doing that, they start to add up to some serious cap troubles over the long-haul.
From what's been said, and take it with a grain of salt, is that the Chiefs were too far up against the cap at the end to get into the safety market.

Yeah I know.....don't sign Watkins or Hitchens. It is what it is though.
pugsnotdrugs19 09:32 AM 03-12-2019
Originally Posted by O.city:
So Nate taylor had an article in the Athletic about Mathieu and him playing next to Berry.

So i'm guessing they plan on keeping Berry.
Man if you knew Berry would be healthy it could be an amazing thing... but it’s so risky.
O.city 09:32 AM 03-12-2019

It just frustrates me that they pay the MSRP on all these guys instead of trying to find some values with long-term upside. The time to have tried to get Matthieu on a long-term deal was last off-season when he was younger and coming off a better season in AZ than he just had in Houston. What light bulb suddenly flickered on in the warrooom that made these guys realize "hey wait, we could actually use him afterall!"

Apparently they tried to sign him last year but with Watkins and Hitch they just didn't have the cash? I dunno, just what Taylor put in his Athletic article.

I'd think they could have made it work but who knows.
O.city 09:34 AM 03-12-2019
Originally Posted by pugsnotdrugs19:
They didn’t have enough cap space at the time last year to make a great offer. And he wasn’t bad in coverage. Maybe not his best year, but far from bad.
Here's the thing partner. For 14 million per, they are gonna need better than "far from bad".

Same with Watkins and Hitchens.

You go signing these guys to these deals and they perform, you're fine. It's not ideal because that money comes from somewhere, but as long as they produce it's fine.

When they play 9 games because of a foot injury or just suck, it aint gonna work out.
pugsnotdrugs19 09:35 AM 03-12-2019
Originally Posted by O.city:
Here's the thing partner. For 14 million per, they are gonna need better than "far from bad".

Same with Watkins and Hitchens.

You go signing these guys to these deals and they perform, you're fine. It's not ideal because that money comes from somewhere, but as long as they produce it's fine.

When they play 9 games because of a foot injury or just suck, it aint gonna work out.
I only say far from bad because I don’t have the necessary resources at my disposal to judge how good or not he was in coverage last year.

I think he’s a great fit in this defense though and will be worth the money.
RunKC 09:40 AM 03-12-2019
Originally Posted by The Franchise:
From what's been said, and take it with a grain of salt, is that the Chiefs were too far up against the cap at the end to get into the safety market.

Yeah I know.....don't sign Watkins or Hitchens. It is what it is though.
They had just signed Eric Berry and were relying on him. He was just fine on the first day of camp.

Bottomline is Eric Berry ****ing us. We HAD to overpay for Mathieu bc of his dumbass contract.

I don’t understand people bitching about the contract. It’s going to look very similar to Watkins, which is exactly what we need to be doing instead of giving players 5 or 6 year deals.
suzzer99 09:44 AM 03-12-2019
I think it's smart for Mattheiu too. He's confident and betting on himself that he'll still be in line for a good payday when he's 29.
htismaqe 09:44 AM 03-12-2019
Originally Posted by RunKC:
They had just signed Eric Berry and were relying on him. He was just fine on the first day of camp.

Bottomline is Eric Berry ****ing us. We HAD to overpay for Mathieu bc of his dumbass contract.

I don’t understand people bitching about the contract. It’s going to look very similar to Watkins, which is exactly what we need to be doing instead of giving players 5 or 6 year deals.
I agree. It's a 3-year deal. Collins got SIX. I'd much rather have Mathieu.
suzzer99 09:45 AM 03-12-2019
Right but even Collins deal is super front-loaded. It's more about the guaranteed money. Do we even know Matthieu's guaranteed money?
htismaqe 09:46 AM 03-12-2019
Originally Posted by suzzer99:
Right but even Collins deal is super front-loaded. It's more about the guaranteed money. Do we even know Matthieu's guaranteed money?
All I've seen so far is speculation that 1/3 of the contract ($14M) is guaranteed. If that ends up being true, that's actually a REALLY good deal.
Iconic 09:59 AM 03-12-2019

It just frustrates me that they pay the MSRP on all these guys instead of trying to find some values with long-term upside. The time to have tried to get Matthieu on a long-term deal was last off-season when he was younger and coming off a better season in AZ than he just had in Houston. What light bulb suddenly flickered on in the warrooom that made these guys realize "hey wait, we could actually use him afterall!" And in fact they decided they could use him so much that they're willing to pay him double what he made last season coming off a fairly pedestrian season.

Best part is they could have got Amos, who's appreciably better at playing single high, for about 5m less per year.

Veach has not impressed me at all thus far lol.
MotherfuckerJones 10:01 AM 03-12-2019
Tyrann Mathieu snaps in 2018
Free safety (440)
CB slot left (199)
Left OLB (123)
CB slot right (112)
Right OLB (39)
Right ILB (31)
Left ILB (27)
CB wide left (19)
Left DT (3)
Middle LB (2)
CB wide right (1)
Right DT (1)

This is amazing to me. I love it
staylor26 10:03 AM 03-12-2019
Originally Posted by Iconic:
Best part is they could have got Amos, who's appreciably better at playing single high, for about 5m less per year.

Veach has not impressed me at all thus far lol.
I liked Amos and preferred him, but they didn’t get Tyrann to just play the single high. They clearly value his ability to play all over the field.
Page 36 of 58
« First < 263233343536 3738394046 > Last »
Up