ChiefsPlanet Mobile
Page 57 of 221
« First < 7475354555657 5859606167107157 > Last »
Nzoner's Game Room>The Fishing Thread
Easy 6 07:58 PM 02-19-2010
Searched around & only found the video fishing & BassMasters threads, i know their are plenty of outdoorsman here, so i figured it'd be cool to draw upon the Planets vast experience in all things fishing.

I only use spincast reels & fish mostly large/smallmouth bass & cats. My choice of reels is quite the source of derision from many people i know 'duffer gear', but i haul in my share of 6 pound bass & 10-20 pound cats on that gear no problem. With a little know-how you can use just about any technique you want to on 'duffer gear'.

Berkley Powerbaits are a big part of my trick bag, the difference between those & regular stuff is night & day. My best action last summer came on Mister Twister scented white curly tail grubs, on one day fishing from shore to a bridge pier, i caught smallies, bigmouths, perch & even 1 carp believe it or not... great day. But my bread & butter is a texas rigged Berkley worm, it'll wiggle through any kind of cover without getting hung up.

With cats i strictly bottom fish, no bobber & bait is just as basic... but its always in 2's to give'em a real treat... a shrimp/with a nightcrawler, liver/chunk of cheese etc. Cats are mostly for night sport to me, time to kick back a lil...

So thats me style, how do the rest of you guys get your fish on? What do you fish for, what do you use? IIRC Missouri's trout season just kicked off, anyone getting anything?
[Reply]
R8RFAN 02:50 PM 04-09-2013
Originally Posted by MahiMike:
I have to admit I just sold all of my fishing gear. I did way too much fishin' and not enough catchin'.

Cheaper to pay $12/lb for Grouper or Mahi.
I like to be out on the boat even if I am not catching....

Some of the biggest crappie I ever caught were on the days when the bite was slow
[Reply]
El Jefe 02:51 PM 04-09-2013
I have to admit I just sold all of my fishing gear. I did way too much fishin' and not enough catchin'.

I am a C&R fisher, and I don't have to catch a ton of fish to jusitfy my fishing. I enjoy being out on the water even if I don't catch anything.
[Reply]
mr. tegu 02:55 PM 04-09-2013
I agree with the last two posters. Part of the reason we like fishing is just the being outdoors. It is called 'fishing' not 'catching' after all.
[Reply]
stonedstooge 03:06 PM 04-09-2013

[Reply]
Iowanian 03:40 PM 04-09-2013
Originally Posted by El Jefe:
Whoa, that's some coin there. I looked into building a 2 acre pond and I was quoted almost 18k to dig it.

Some of that depends on the terrain and the amount of dirt they have to move. All ponds are not created equally.

It's also helpful if you have friends who do things you need done and do them at cost.
[Reply]
loochy 03:43 PM 04-09-2013

I go fishing a LOT and the only time I've kept a fish in the last 5 years was a tuna on my deep sea trip in Hawaii.

Fishing is the fun part. It's a pain in the butt to keep the fish and clean it and it's not THAT good.
[Reply]
NewChief 03:45 PM 04-09-2013
Originally Posted by loochy:
I go fishing a LOT and the only time I've kept a fish in the last 5 years was a tuna on my deep sea trip in Hawaii.

Fishing is the fun part. It's a pain in the butt to keep the fish and clean it and it's not THAT good.
I think Mahi was doing a lot of ocean fishing, perhaps requiring a boat. If you're running an ocean boat, a day of fishing isn't exactly cheap after you pay for your gas and make a long run to your fishing spot.

I agree with all the sentiments on what fishing is about, but if you're doing an expensive form of fishing and rarely catching fish, I can also understand the cost/benefit analysis.
[Reply]
loochy 03:46 PM 04-09-2013
Originally Posted by NewChief:
I think Mahi was doing a lot of ocean fishing, perhaps requiring a boat. If you're running an ocean boat, a day of fishing isn't exactly cheap after you pay for your gas and make a long run to your fishing spot.

I agree with all the sentiments on what fishing is about, but if you're doing an expensive form of fishing and rarely catching fish, I can also understand the cost/benefit analysis.
Another reason I don't like to keep fish is that I like to preserve the fishery. Every fish that someone takes out is another fish that I (or someone else) can't catch.
[Reply]
R8RFAN 03:47 PM 04-09-2013

I dunno about that...

This is some GOOD eating

[Reply]
NewChief 03:49 PM 04-09-2013
Another reason I don't like to keep fish is that I like to preserve the fishery. Every fish that someone takes out is another fish that I (or someone else) can't catch.
I understand and agree, though I think that ocean fish, specifically game fish (not fish that are fished commercially), are a little bit different than freshwater fish with regards to populations.
[Reply]
MahiMike 03:52 PM 04-09-2013
Originally Posted by El Jefe:
I am a C&R fisher, and I don't have to catch a ton of fish to jusitfy my fishing. I enjoy being out on the water even if I don't catch anything.
Well in Florida, salt water fishing gets pretty pricey. My son and I enjoy going deep sea fishing on the party boats now. Catch more too. I've gone out and spent $200 per day without sniffing a fish.
[Reply]
Sorter 03:55 PM 04-09-2013
Originally Posted by R8ers:
I dunno about that...

This is some GOOD eating

Good god, that looks awesome.
[Reply]
R8RFAN 03:57 PM 04-09-2013
Originally Posted by Ponderception:
Good god, that looks awesome.
Sad but this is the best fishing day I probably ever had in my life when it comes to consistent size fish.... I have been chasing this kind of fishing ever since...

I can catch 6 inch fish all day... I guess I need to start just filleting them, they encourage us to take the smaller fish in the lake here to promote overall bigger fish in the future (crappies)
[Reply]
Radar Chief 04:00 PM 04-09-2013
I dunno about that...

This is some GOOD eating

Crappie is some damn fine eating. :-)
[Reply]
MahiMike 04:06 PM 04-09-2013
I dunno about that...

This is some GOOD eating

Those are some big crappie. when they're spawning, it's like saltwater fishing. Lotsa bites.
[Reply]
Page 57 of 221
« First < 7475354555657 5859606167107157 > Last »
Up