ChiefsPlanet Mobile
Page 11 of 221
« First < 7891011 121314152161111 > Last »
Nzoner's Game Room>The Fishing Thread
Easy 6 07:58 PM 02-19-2010
Searched around & only found the video fishing & BassMasters threads, i know their are plenty of outdoorsman here, so i figured it'd be cool to draw upon the Planets vast experience in all things fishing.

I only use spincast reels & fish mostly large/smallmouth bass & cats. My choice of reels is quite the source of derision from many people i know 'duffer gear', but i haul in my share of 6 pound bass & 10-20 pound cats on that gear no problem. With a little know-how you can use just about any technique you want to on 'duffer gear'.

Berkley Powerbaits are a big part of my trick bag, the difference between those & regular stuff is night & day. My best action last summer came on Mister Twister scented white curly tail grubs, on one day fishing from shore to a bridge pier, i caught smallies, bigmouths, perch & even 1 carp believe it or not... great day. But my bread & butter is a texas rigged Berkley worm, it'll wiggle through any kind of cover without getting hung up.

With cats i strictly bottom fish, no bobber & bait is just as basic... but its always in 2's to give'em a real treat... a shrimp/with a nightcrawler, liver/chunk of cheese etc. Cats are mostly for night sport to me, time to kick back a lil...

So thats me style, how do the rest of you guys get your fish on? What do you fish for, what do you use? IIRC Missouri's trout season just kicked off, anyone getting anything?
[Reply]
ZootedGranny 03:20 PM 05-10-2010
This year my birthday happened to land on Mother's Day, so my brother and I got together with my mom to celebrate. On her property is a nice sized pond, and we've fished it a handful of times with great success. We've caught a few three pound bass, a few four pound catfish and a ton of one/two pound bass and big bluegill.

I like to go out there and work on finesse techniques (because almost anything works), while my brother uses the old hook, worm and bobber. I've outfished him all day, but I hit a stretch where I wasn't getting any bites and he was pulling in fish every other cast. He's turned around to tell me to switch to live bait when his bobber gets pulled under like the barrels in Jaws. I hear his line tightening, he loosens his drag, and up comes this monster:

Didn't have a scale on me, but the length and girth estimate to be 7.4 pounds +/- an ounce.
[Reply]
Pablo 05:22 PM 05-10-2010
Caught my first bass of the year on Saturday.

Purple and orange magnum bass-stopper. Probably a 3.5 lber.

Pretty fish. Even gave it a kiss.
[Reply]
Bill Lundberg 01:16 PM 05-25-2010
Leaving for a week long trip to Canada on Friday. It's a little tough to concentrate right now...
[Reply]
Demonpenz 01:36 PM 05-25-2010
nice pig
[Reply]
KCChiefsMan 01:42 PM 05-25-2010
that reminds me, I want to do some fishing around this area before I leave Boston.
[Reply]
NewChief 01:44 PM 05-25-2010
Will be spending Memorial Day Weekend up in Bella Vista on the lakes. Should be able to get some quality fishing in.
[Reply]
Rooster 02:17 PM 05-25-2010
We just got back from Bull Shoals Lake. We got into some smallmouth bass. I had never fished for them before but now I am hooked. (No pun intended) Those bastards really fight. Good times.:-)
[Reply]
Bill Lundberg 02:23 PM 05-25-2010
Originally Posted by Rooster:
We just got back from Bull Shoals Lake. We got into some smallmouth bass. I had never fished for them before but now I am hooked. (No pun intended) Those bastards really fight. Good times.:-)
Yep - Smallies are pound for pound some of the toughest fighters out there.
[Reply]
NewChief 02:24 PM 05-25-2010
Originally Posted by Bill Lundberg:
Yep - Smallies are pound for pound some of the toughest fighters out there.
Yeah, and you're about to head to the land of the BIG smallmouth.
[Reply]
Bill Lundberg 02:50 PM 05-25-2010
Originally Posted by NewPhin:
Yeah, and you're about to head to the land of the BIG smallmouth.
Here's one from last year
Attached: P6220331.JPG (70.6 KB) 
[Reply]
Rooster 02:57 PM 05-25-2010
Originally Posted by Bill Lundberg:
Here's one from last year
Nice. :-)
[Reply]
Sully 04:25 PM 05-25-2010
So two weeks ago I bought my first rod and reel. Got a cheap baitcaster. Been fishing a few times, and caught my first (very small) fish yesterday on Lake Jacomo.

This reel is frustrating as hell. I spend more time untangling birdnests than fishing. I read up and watched some videos on how to use it correctly, and it helped, but still tons of tangles. I think I'm going to go back and buy an open reel while I'm learning. I think it's a combo of user error, and buying the cheapest baitcaster I could find.

Ah well. Still enjoying it.
[Reply]
Contrarian 04:42 PM 05-25-2010
Smallies are on fire out in Washington state right now.
Attached: n1617894092_150313_3682223.jpg (50.6 KB) 
[Reply]
NewChief 04:51 PM 05-25-2010
Originally Posted by Contrarian:
Smallies are on fire out in Washington state right now.
It's ridiculous how big those bastards get up there.
[Reply]
Bill Lundberg 06:02 PM 05-25-2010
Originally Posted by Sully:
So two weeks ago I bought my first rod and reel. Got a cheap baitcaster. Been fishing a few times, and caught my first (very small) fish yesterday on Lake Jacomo.

This reel is frustrating as hell. I spend more time untangling birdnests than fishing. I read up and watched some videos on how to use it correctly, and it helped, but still tons of tangles. I think I'm going to go back and buy an open reel while I'm learning. I think it's a combo of user error, and buying the cheapest baitcaster I could find.

Ah well. Still enjoying it.
Go buy a spinning reel and save the baitcaster for when you have time to master it. It helps a lot if you are casting heavier lures on the bait caster. Make sure you have your drag set properly as well.
[Reply]
Page 11 of 221
« First < 7891011 121314152161111 > Last »
Up