ChiefsPlanet Mobile
Page 60 of 167
« First < 10505657585960 6162636470110160 > Last »
Nzoner's Game Room>Pets of Chiefs Planet
pr_capone 01:04 AM 10-22-2006
I know there are some animal lovers here.

Lets see whatcha got.

From left to right:

Suzy (Chow Mix)- 1.5 yrs old
Mandi (Long Haired Miniature Dachshund) - 13 years old
Angie (Dapple Haired Miniature Dachshunds) - 4 years old

Angie is the one that rides the motorcycle with me.
[Reply]
Ceej 11:36 AM 01-10-2013
My gf and I would absolutely love to have our first dog be a bernese mountain dog.

Have any CPers owned one before?

Big, thick coated dogs. However, I've heard they have typically have short life spans.
[Reply]
DJ's left nut 11:40 AM 01-10-2013
Originally Posted by tooge:
well, since this was bumped, here's my swissy in the snow last week. She's 1 1/2 years old. Great dog.
Oh, Sennenhunds...

I'm a sucker for those things. Swissies and Berners catch my eye every time.
[Reply]
Fire Me Boy! 11:43 AM 01-10-2013
Originally Posted by CJizzles:
My gf and I would absolutely love to have our first dog be a bernese mountain dog.

Big, thick coated dogs. However, I've heard they have typically have short life spans.
Big dogs typically do.
[Reply]
DC.chief 11:43 AM 01-10-2013

I looked in to one before getting my last German shepherd. They're great looking dogs but you're right about the short life span thing. I believe I remember reading the average lifespan of one is like 7-8 years. That still didn't stop me from looking but I had no luck finding a breeder on the east coast.
[Reply]
DJ's left nut 11:44 AM 01-10-2013

Yeah, that's what's steered me away from them a couple of times. 7-10 years is a pretty common run and the couple we're close friends with that had one lost theirs at 3.

Cancer is extremely common and they are just so thickly built that their joints tend to fail them as well.

I've started doing some research into Appenzellers; very similar markings but in a lab-style body. It's another sennenhund but a pretty rare one. They look like they're not as user-friendly as the Berners are though and definitely won't be the 90 lber that the Bernese will be.

Damn shame about the health issues with the Bernese or it would be a pretty near perfect dog.
[Reply]
Ceej 11:49 AM 01-10-2013
It is just so tough for me to fork out anywhere between 800-1800 for a dog that may or may not last 7-8 years.

The one dog I want more than anything is an English Bulldog. Another large chunk of change for a dog that has a short life span.

Maybe we will just stick with Australian Shepherds.
[Reply]
Buehler445 11:52 AM 01-10-2013
It is just so tough for me to fork out anywhere between 800-1800 for a dog that may or may not last 7-8 years.

The one dog I want more than anything is an English Bulldog. Another large chunk of change for a dog that has a short life span.

You might look at Australian Cattle dogs (That's what Chief is). The Manhattan humane society had some awhile back.

Anyway, I've been more than impressed with Chief, and his traits match up pretty well with what I'm wanting. And in most cases would be a little smaller than Shepherds and have less fur for easier grooming and shedding and the like.

My wife did a whole mess of research on dog breeds before we settled on Cattle Dog and they have a really good fit with us.
[Reply]
Ceej 11:55 AM 01-10-2013
We may get a dog potentially this year. Depending on all sorts or things.

I know Topeka is opening a humane center soon too.

My parents recent pet they got - Murphy - is a mini Australian shepherd. Great, cool dog.
[Reply]
DJ's left nut 11:56 AM 01-10-2013

If the idea of the purchase price spooks you, you'd probably better stay away given that it's likely to be the least of your worries with a Bernese.

We have a standing emergency 'slush fund' of about $3K/dog and that's with labradors. With a Bernese you're likely looking at much higher vet/maintenance bills.

Unless you're able/willing to shell out 3-5K to deal with blown out knees, deteriorating hips or cancer medicine, I'd recommend you steer clear of a Bernese. It's not really fair to you or the dog to buy one and then not be willing to fix it up as things start to go wrong.
[Reply]
Ceej 12:00 PM 01-10-2013
Originally Posted by DJ's left nut:
If the idea of the purchase price spooks you, you'd probably better stay away given that it's likely to be the least of your worries with a Bernese.

We have a standing emergency 'slush fund' of about $3K/dog and that's with labradors. With a Bernese you're likely looking at much higher vet/maintenance bills.

Unless you're able/willing to shell out 3-5K to deal with blown out knees, deteriorating hips or cancer medicine, I'd recommend you steer clear of a Bernese. It's not really fair to you or the dog to buy one and then not be willing to fix it up as things start to go wrong.
I'm not one to leave my dog outside on a chain. And I know that's not what you're insinuating. Just noting for clarification purposes.

Whatever kind of dog we decide will be spoiled and considered a 4-legged child. I just had no idea the Bernese life span was 7-8 years.

Just not sure it that's worth the investment and if we decide to pursue that route we will finance and plan accordingly.
[Reply]
Fire Me Boy! 12:07 PM 01-10-2013
I'm not one to leave my dog outside on a chain. And I know that's not what you're insinuating. Just noting for clarification purposes.

Whatever kind of dog we decide will be spoiled and considered a 4-legged child. I just had no idea the Bernese life span was 7-8 years.

Just not sure it that's worth the investment and if we decide to pursue that route we will finance and plan accordingly.
You won't necessarily get 7-8 years out of anything. If you love and care for the animal, whatever you get is worth the investment. JMO.

:-)
[Reply]
Hoover 12:08 PM 01-10-2013
This is my 2 year old floppy eared (they never stood up) GSD.
Attached: mags.jpg (80.5 KB) 
[Reply]
Ceej 12:09 PM 01-10-2013
Originally Posted by Fire Me Boy!:
You won't necessarily get 7-8 years out of anything. If you love and care for the animal, whatever you get is worth the investment. JMO.

:-)
Agree 100%!
[Reply]
frankotank 12:36 PM 01-10-2013

sorry for your loss man. been thru it a few times myself and it's just brutal....but we do what we must for our buddies.

do some research on bullmastiffs. I'm on my second one and I swear they are the best dogs.

I have some pics of Dozer in my personal...what the hell ever you call it.....my profile. I've already thrown pics of him in here somewhere....wouldn't want to Q!!!
[Reply]
RockChalk 01:48 PM 01-10-2013
2 year old Great Dane/Mastiff mix, Riley. And 4 year old goofy ass lab, Dansby
Attached: 20130103_195419.jpg (87.8 KB) 
[Reply]
Page 60 of 167
« First < 10505657585960 6162636470110160 > Last »
Up