ChiefsPlanet Mobile
Page 49 of 49
« First < 394546474849
Media Center>CBS: Star Trek
keg in kc 03:47 PM 11-02-2015
...

Originally Posted by :
The Next Chapter of the Legendary “Star Trek” TV Franchise Will Premiere on the CBS Television Network, Then Move to CBS All Access Digital Subscription Service

Alex Kurtzman, Co-Writer and Producer of the Blockbuster Films

“Star Trek” and “Star Trek Into Darkness,” to Executive Produce

CBS Studios International to Distribute the Series Globally

For Television and Multiple Platforms


STUDIO CITY, CALIF. AND NEW YORK, N.Y. – Nov. 2, 2015 – CBS Television Studios announced today it will launch a totally new “Star Trek” television series in January 2017. The new series will blast off with a special preview broadcast on the CBS Television Network. The premiere episode and all subsequent first-run episodes will then be available exclusively in the United States on CBS All Access, the Network’s digital subscription video on demand and live streaming service.

The next chapter of the “Star Trek” franchise will also be distributed concurrently for television and multiple platforms around the world by CBS Studios International.

The new program will be the first original series developed specifically for U.S. audiences for CBS All Access, a cross-platform streaming service that brings viewers thousands of episodes from CBS’s current and past seasons on demand, plus the ability to stream their local CBS Television station live for $5.99 per month. CBS All Access already offers every episode of all previous “Star Trek” television series.

The brand-new “Star Trek” will introduce new characters seeking imaginative new worlds and new civilizations, while exploring the dramatic contemporary themes that have been a signature of the franchise since its inception in 1966.

Alex Kurtzman will serve as executive producer for the new “Star Trek” TV series. Kurtzman co-wrote and produced the blockbuster films “Star Trek” (2009) with Roberto Orci, and “Star Trek Into Darkness” (2013) with Orci and Damon Lindelof. Both films were produced and directed by J.J. Abrams.

The new series will be produced by CBS Television Studios in association with Kurtzman’s Secret Hideout. Kurtzman and Heather Kadin will serve as executive producers. Kurtzman is also an executive producer for the hit CBS television series SCORPION and LIMITLESS, along with Kadin and Orci, and for HAWAII FIVE-0 with Orci.

“Star Trek,” which will celebrate its 50th anniversary in 2016, is one of the most successful entertainment franchises of all time. The original “Star Trek” spawned a dozen feature films and five successful television series. Almost half a century later, the “Star Trek” television series are licensed on a variety of different platforms in more than 190 countries, and the franchise still generates more than a billion social media impressions every month.

Born from the mind of Gene Roddenberry, the original “Star Trek” series debuted on Sept. 8, 1966 and aired for three seasons – a short run that belied the influence it would have for generations. The series also broke new ground in storytelling and cultural mores, providing a progressive look at topics including race relations, global politics and the environment.

“There is no better time to give ‘Star Trek’ fans a new series than on the heels of the original show’s 50th anniversary celebration,” said David Stapf, President, CBS Television Studios. “Everyone here has great respect for this storied franchise, and we’re excited to launch its next television chapter in the creative mind and skilled hands of Alex Kurtzman, someone who knows this world and its audience intimately.”

“This new series will premiere to the national CBS audience, then boldly go where no first-run ‘Star Trek’ series has gone before – directly to its millions of fans through CBS All Access,” said Marc DeBevoise, Executive Vice President/General Manager – CBS Digital Media. “We’ve experienced terrific growth for CBS All Access, expanding the service across affiliates and devices in a very short time. We now have an incredible opportunity to accelerate this growth with the iconic ‘Star Trek,’ and its devoted and passionate fan base, as our first original series.”

“Every day, an episode of the ‘Star Trek’ franchise is seen in almost every country in the world,” said Armando Nuñez, President and CEO, CBS Global Distribution Group. “We can’t wait to introduce ‘Star Trek’s’ next voyage on television to its vast global fan base.”

CBS All Access offers its customers more than 7,500 episodes from the current television season, previous seasons and classic shows on demand nationwide, as well as the ability to stream local CBS stations live in more than 110 markets. Subscribers can use the service online and across devices via CBS.com, the CBS App for iOS, Android and Windows 10, as well as on connected devices such as Apple TV, Android TV, Chromecast, Roku players and Roku TV, with more connected devices to come.

The new television series is not related to the upcoming feature film “Star Trek Beyond,” which is scheduled to be distributed by Paramount Pictures in summer 2016

[Reply]
Mennonite 01:46 PM 01-10-2021
Originally Posted by Mephistopheles Janx:
DS9
TNG
ENT
LD
*The Orville* (Honorary ST)
TOS
PICARD
...
...
...
...
VOY
...
...
...
...
...
...
...
...
DISCOVERY


I only like about 30 episodes of TOS, but I still consider it my third favorite series. The cast is extremely relatable, I think the shows ideals are probably the closest to my own, and I like how even the terrible episodes usually had an interesting concept.











Originally Posted by BigRedChief:
I didn’t care for DS9 until Worf showed up and the Dominion story line kicked in.
I felt pretty much the same way while watching it during its initial run. I didn't really become a fan until the two parter where the Obsidian Order and Tal Shiar invade the Gamma Quadrant. In hindsight those early seasons were better than I gave them credit for.






[Reply]
KC_Connection 01:31 PM 01-17-2021
S3 of Discovery was likely the worst yet. The Su'Kal storyline would have worked as its own one-off or 2-parter episode (its conclusion was surprisingly affecting), but to make it the conclusion/culmination of the entire season and make him be the source of the season-long "Burn" mystery? That's the best they could come up with a completely blank canvas in the 32nd century?

It honestly feels like the writers just wanted to find a way to make Burnham captain by the end of the season (because everything must always revolve around the greatness of Burnham at all times) and thought this storyline was a way to get Saru out of the picture temporarily to make that happen.

The villain went back to cartoony evil in the finale after an attempt to make her mildly interesting for an episode. She also died in the most anti-climactic way ever (I have no idea what she pushed Burnham into and clearly she didn't have much clue either). Some mysteries throughout the season also went absolutely nowhere (what about that mystery song/rhythm that somehow everyone knows across the entire galaxy? Never got an explanation on that).

They did try to develop other characters like Culber and Tilly this season but I don't think they were entirely successful at that either. Without Pike and Spock from S2 (or Lorca from S1 pre ridiculous reveal/transformation), S3 became nothing more than the Michael Burnham Show completely. It's clearly what the writers always wanted, but this show has no real direction beyond that at this point. Such a waste.
[Reply]
Lex Luthor 01:33 PM 01-17-2021
I guess I'm the outlier here. I like both Star Trek Discovery and Star Trek Picard.

Not every episode is great. But some are.

Not every character is great. A few are downright annoying. I never liked Captain/Emperor Georgiou on Discovery, and I'm not a fan of Tilly. I get tired of Saru as well.

But some characters are good. I thought Jason Isaacs gave an inspired performance as Captain Lorca in Season 1. It really pissed me off when they revealed that he was from the Mirror Universe and was just a cartoonish bad guy instead of a complex character. I also think Stammets and Culber are great characters.

The first time I watched Star Trek Picard I wasn't impressed. But when I re-watched it recently I thought it was great. I don't know what was different the second time around. I think I just paid more attention the second time, and I really got into the season-long plot arc.

I have high hopes for Strange New Worlds, especially since they announced it will be more episodic rather than one long continuous arc.
[Reply]
Lex Luthor 01:37 PM 01-17-2021
Originally Posted by KC_Connection:
S3 of Discovery was likely the worst yet. The Su'Kal storyline would have worked as its own one-off or 2-parter episode (its conclusion was surprisingly affecting), but to make it the conclusion/culmination of the entire season and make him be the source of the season-long "Burn" mystery? That's the best they could come up with a completely blank canvas in the 32nd century?

It honestly feels like the writers just wanted to find a way to make Burnham captain by the end of the season (because everything must always revolve around the greatness of Burnham at all times) and thought this storyline was a way to get Saru out of the picture temporarily to make that happen.

The villain went back to cartoony evil in the finale after an attempt to make her mildly interesting for an episode. She also died in the most anti-climactic way ever (I have no idea what she pushed Burnham into and clearly she didn't have much clue either). Some mysteries throughout the season also went absolutely nowhere (what about that mystery song/rhythm that somehow everyone knows across the entire galaxy? Never got an explanation on that).

They did try to develop other characters like Culber and Tilly this season but I don't think they were entirely successful at that either. Without Pike and Spock from S2 (or Lorca from S1 pre ridiculous reveal/transformation), S3 became nothing more than the Michael Burnham Show completely. It's clearly what the writers always wanted, but this show has no real direction beyond that at this point. Such a waste.
I can't really disagree with any of this. Having Su'Kal be the cause of The Burn was just about the most anti-climactic thing they could have done.

And yes, it does seem that the whole thing was just a pretext to make Burnham the captain. I'd much prefer that they bring back Jason Isaacs as Captain Lorca.
[Reply]
KC_Connection 01:39 PM 01-17-2021
Originally Posted by Lex Luthor:
I guess I'm the outlier here. I like both Star Trek Discovery and Star Trek Picard.

Not every episode is great. But some are.

Not every character is great. A few are downright annoying. I never liked Captain/Emperor Georgiou on Discovery, and I'm not a fan of Tilly. I get tired of Saru as well.

But some characters are good. I thought Jason Isaacs gave an inspired performance as Captain Lorca in Season 1. It really pissed me off when they revealed that he was from the Mirror Universe and was just a cartoonish bad guy instead of a complex character. I also think Stammets and Culber are great characters.

The first time I watched Star Trek Picard I wasn't impressed. But when I re-watched it recently I thought it was great. I don't know what was different the second time around. I think I just paid more attention the second time, and I really got into the season-long plot arc.

I have high hopes for Strange New Worlds, especially since they announced it will be more episodic rather than one long continuous arc.
I don't even entirely dislike Burnham as a character, but the entire show can't simply be an excuse to show how great/smart she is at all times. I feel that's what S3 has developed the show into at this point (and without any Lorca/Pike/Spock to stabilize it, the other characters simply aren't strong enough) and I don't see any way out for it.

Strange New Worlds is certainly an intriguing concept. I expect/hope it will be much better than this.
[Reply]
KC_Connection 01:41 PM 01-17-2021
Originally Posted by Lex Luthor:
I can't really disagree with any of this. Having Su'Kal be the cause of The Burn was just about the most anti-climactic thing they could have done.

And yes, it does seem that the whole thing was just a pretext to make Burnham the captain. I'd much prefer that they bring back Jason Isaacs as Captain Lorca.
Prime Universe Lorca could still be out there somewhere to bring him back but of course there's the problem about them being 800 years in the future now (not that time travel has ever stopped Trek before).
[Reply]
Lex Luthor 02:02 PM 01-17-2021
Originally Posted by KC_Connection:
Prime Universe Lorca could still be out there somewhere to bring him back but of course there's the problem about them being 800 years in the future now (not that time travel has ever stopped Trek before).
One thing does bother me about moving the ship and the crew 800 years in the future. I simply can't believe that the technology 800 years in the future hasn't really advanced much past what they had in the time period the Discovery came from. Think about how much technology has changed in just the past 120 years. 120 years ago, people rode horses and mailed letters to each other. No cars, no planes, no radio, no tv, no cell phones, no computers.

I'd think the technology would be completely unrecognizable, and I'd think the Discovery crew would look like savages compared to the people of the future. Instead, the future people never even figured out to build a spore drive. :-)
[Reply]
KC_Connection 02:21 PM 01-17-2021
Originally Posted by Lex Luthor:
One thing does bother me about moving the ship and the crew 800 years in the future. I simply can't believe that the technology 800 years in the future hasn't really advanced much past what they had in the time period the Discovery came from. Think about how much technology has changed in just the past 120 years. 120 years ago, people rode horses and mailed letters to each other. No cars, no planes, no radio, no tv, no cell phones, no computers.

I'd think the technology would be completely unrecognizable, and I'd think the Discovery crew would look like savages compared to the people of the future. Instead, the future people never even figured out to build a spore drive. :-)
Yes it should have been something like a 200 year jump. 800 years was an absurd amount of time (and it made their dismay early in the season about how the Federation had declined even more ridiculous; they were very lucky it still existed in any way whatsoever).
[Reply]
Page 49 of 49
« First < 394546474849
Up