ChiefsPlanet Mobile
Page 1 of 3
1 23 >
Nzoner's Game Room>Kansas City rag printed in Des Moines
neech 12:03 AM 02-26-2021
My parents as well as most of my neighbors subscribed to this back in the day, now you're lucky to count on one hand all the subscribers that you know of or at least care to admit it.

KANSAS CITY, Mo. — There’s a new real estate listing for one of Kansas City’s most recognizable buildings. For sale or for lease, it’s the building formerly used to print The Kansas City Star newspaper.

The giant building is located at 1601 McGee Street. The newspaper still uses office space at the location but has previously announced its intentions to vacate the building by the end of 2021.

Certain things have already changed. For example, Kansas City Star newspapers are now printed in Des Moines and trucked in to subscribers early in the morning. The last newspaper printed at the building covered Super Bowl Sunday.

Previously reported by the Kansas City Star, the printing transition means 68 full-time and 56 part-time employees were planned to be laid off. These changes came as the Star’s parent company McClatchy filed for Chapter 11 bankruptcy protection one year ago.

https://fox4kc.com/business/with-pri...s-up-for-sale/
[Reply]
dlphg9 12:26 AM 02-26-2021
Good riddance.
[Reply]
Hoover 06:40 AM 02-26-2021
thank you for your business.
[Reply]
PHOG 07:56 AM 02-26-2021

[Reply]
Dayze 08:13 AM 02-26-2021
I don't think it've read anything from the Star in probably 15 years. unless it's posted on CP. and hell, 15 years ago, the only reason we got the paper, was for the Sunday coupons when we were broke AF; ...then even the coupons began to suck.
[Reply]
stanleychief 08:58 AM 02-26-2021
It sucks that people are getting laid off, especially in an industry that seems to be struggling.

I am no fan of the current incarnation of the KC Star, so I can't say that I'm sad to see them flounder a bit. There is far too much opinion, and too little fact in most of their reporting. I don't mind reading articles with a liberal or conservative bias, but they seem willing to sacrifice logic to prove a point at times.
[Reply]
Hoover 09:23 AM 02-26-2021
Des Moines actually has a modern newspaper print facility - its probably the only real revenue maker the paper has. They print a ton of papers.
[Reply]
jallmon 09:56 AM 02-26-2021
With Brooke moving on to greener pastures in da Boig, I see no reason to bother with it.
[Reply]
HemiEd 10:02 AM 02-26-2021
Originally Posted by Hoover:
Des Moines actually has a modern newspaper print facility - its probably the only real revenue maker the paper has. They print a ton of papers.
I wonder if that is where the Wichita Eagle is printed? It was my understanding a few years ago that it was being printed in KC.

If there is anything that is certain, change is constant. Newspapers, much like retail stores are doomed as we know them.
[Reply]
Prison Bitch 10:04 AM 02-26-2021
Red Star spend decades insulting the political and cultural beliefs of half their regional audience. The. They wonder why they went broke. Good riddance.
[Reply]
Zebedee DuBois 01:52 PM 02-26-2021
The Wichita Eagle (also a McClatchy paper) quit printing locally a few years ago and had been printed in KC. They just recently moved printing to Hutchinson - likely due to this KC closure. My kid worked there a couple years in the 00s and they had over a hundred employees. Now the local office has less than 20. My kid moved a couple times for McClatchy, to Cali and to NC, but is no longer in that industry.
[Reply]
DaneMcCloud 02:15 PM 02-26-2021
Originally Posted by Prison Bitch:
Red Star spend decades insulting the political and cultural beliefs of half their regional audience. The. They wonder why they went broke. Good riddance.
If this hadn't happened to every other newspaper in the America, you might have a point but as usual, everything you post is politicalized and uninformed.

Newspapers have been dying a slow death this the turn of this century and the blame lies squarely with the publishers. Instead of monetizing their websites from Day 1, they instead allowed everyone to read the same exact content online for free for the better part of two decades or more.

Just as it happened with the music business and Napster, Limewire and all of the other 90's file sharing services, once people had "free" access to music, sales dropped dramatically and the business lost tens of millions if not billions. Now, there's a generation of people that believe that music should be "free" and refuse to pay for it, even at 99 cents a song.

The newspaper and magazine industry waited way too long to implement online subscriptions and now, they're closer to death than ever before. These paywalls have been popping up everywhere, whether it's the KC Star or Sports Illustrated, which announced a Paywall Coming Soon and other sites. And due to their loss of revenue, newspapers and magazine publishers have lost their best writers to subscription websites, while most people balk at the idea of paying anywhere from $1 dollar to $10 dollars per month for a service that was free of charge for nearly 2 decades.

But sure, blame the content.

:-)
[Reply]
Bob Dole 02:15 PM 02-26-2021
Our local daily moved their printing to Little Rock a few years ago. Building just sits vacant.
[Reply]
eDave 02:17 PM 02-26-2021
Originally Posted by DaneMcCloud:
If this hadn't happened to every other newspaper in the America, you might have a point but as usual, everything you post is politicalized and uninformed.

Newspapers have been dying a slow death this the turn of this century and the blame lies squarely with the publishers. Instead of monetizing their websites from Day 1, they instead allowed everyone to read the same exact content online for free for the better part of two decades or more.

Just as it happened with the music business and Napster, Limewire and all of the other 90's file sharing services, once people had "free" access to music, sales dropped dramatically and the business lost tens of millions. Now, there's a generation of people that believe that music should be "free" and refuse to pay for it, even at 99 cents a song.

The newspaper and magazine industry waited way too long to implement online subscriptions and now, they're closer to death than ever before. These paywalls have been popping up everywhere, whether it's the KC Star or Sports Illustrated, which announced a Paywall Coming Soon and other sites. And due to their loss of revenue, newspapers and magazine publishers have lost their best writers to subscription websites. Most people balk at the idea of paying anywhere from $1 dollar to $10 dollars per month for a service that was free of charge for nearly 2 decades.
Yup. Paywall = no visit as I can get the same story elsewhere or at least discussed elsewhere. Here and reddit for example.

AZ Republic's printing facility was sold and is now a venue for shows and stuff. The Press Room.
[Reply]
htismaqe 02:36 PM 02-26-2021
Originally Posted by Hoover:
Yep.

The Register sucks as a paper but Gannett runs that press day and night for anybody that will pay.
[Reply]
Page 1 of 3
1 23 >
Up