ChiefsPlanet Mobile
Page 11 of 14
« First < 7891011 121314 >
Nzoner's Game Room>Toronto Raptors to play in KC for 2021 season?
Deberg_1990 08:31 PM 10-27-2020

KC mayor Quinton Lucas, US Senators Roy Blunt, Pat Roberts and Jerry Moran, and US Rep Emanuel Cleaver co-signed a letter to the NBA commissioner's office and Raptors ownership making the case for Kansas City to be the temporary home, if needed.

— Sam Mellinger (@mellinger) October 27, 2020

Never thought I’d type this but Kansas City is legit pursuing an NBA team. Here’s the latest, including three irrefutable takeaways: https://t.co/ZrkvFqUE6F

— Sam Mellinger (@mellinger) October 27, 2020

[Reply]
BWillie 05:17 PM 11-05-2020
Originally Posted by TribalElder:
NJ did just legalize weed, put them over the top

plus civil rights groups were warning them to not come to kc since our cops murder black people
https://sports.yahoo.com/civil-right...033023192.html
I saw that. An organization from Kansas City intentionally tried to botch this attempt. I just don't get it. As if there is not issues in every metropolitan area. Kansas City is no different. It is not a reason to not bring a team or business in.
[Reply]
Discuss Thrower 05:20 PM 11-05-2020
Originally Posted by BWillie:
I saw that. An organization from Kansas City intentionally tried to botch this attempt. I just don't get it. As if there is not issues in every metropolitan area. Kansas City is no different. It is not a reason to not bring a team or business in.
Kansas City needs to focus on all the employers the city has lost, not a one season rental of a basketball team.
[Reply]
BWillie 05:48 PM 11-05-2020
Originally Posted by Discuss Thrower:
Kansas City needs to focus on all the employers the city has lost, not a one season rental of a basketball team.
Exposure is good. It could lead to a NHL or NBA team similar to how OKC got one when they were the temporarily the Hornets home.
[Reply]
Pitt Gorilla 05:54 PM 11-05-2020
Originally Posted by BWillie:
Exposure is good. It could lead to a NHL or NBA team similar to how OKC got one when they were the temporarily the Hornets home.
Exactly this.
[Reply]
D.A.P. 02:29 AM 11-06-2020
In.
[Reply]
Discuss Thrower 02:21 PM 11-06-2020
Exposure.

As if its baseball and football franchises haven't been on the national stage competing for a championship three times in the last 6 years.
[Reply]
DaneMcCloud 02:28 PM 11-06-2020
Exposure.

As if its baseball and football franchises haven't been on the national stage competing for a championship three times in the last 6 years.
Apparently, you aren't reading major sports publications like Sports Illustrated or CBS Sports and so on, because it's almost as if the Chiefs didn't win the Super Bowl or even exist!

Albert Breer's columns almost always focus on the Patriots and the Belichick tree and there's very little info from week to week about the Chiefs on any other news or sports site. One of those writers recently said that he thinks that "We're taking the Chiefs for granted", without delving any deeper into it.

Also, I've said it before and I'll say it again, people nationally just don't care about the Royals 2014 and 2015 seasons. It's never mentioned in sports publications that the Royals were WS champs. CBS had a ranking of the best World Series in the past decade and the 2015 Royals came in at #8 out of 10.

Point being the Kansas City area could most certainly use more exposure.
[Reply]
Discuss Thrower 02:35 PM 11-06-2020
Originally Posted by DaneMcCloud:
Apparently, you aren't reading major sports publications like Sports Illustrated or CBS Sports and so on, because it's almost as if the Chiefs didn't win the Super Bowl or even exist!

Albert Breer's columns almost always focus on the Patriots and the Belichick tree and there's very little info from week to week about the Chiefs on any other news or sports site. One of those writers recently said that he thinks that "We're taking the Chiefs for granted", without delving any deeper into it.

Also, I've said it before and I'll say it again, people nationally just don't care about the Royals 2014 and 2015 seasons. It's never mentioned in sports publications that the Royals were WS champs. CBS had a ranking of the best World Series in the past decade and the 2015 Royals came in at #8 out of 10.

Point being the Kansas City area could most certainly use more exposure.
Well for one, by and large nobody cares about baseball save for their own local team so that's a different discussion.

As for your main point.. Colin Cowherd, for as much as what he is, nailed it in describing his standpoint thus: draw a 'U' shape across a map of the CONUS starting from Seattle, head south to California, bend east through central Texas then curve north up along the Atlantic seaboard all the way to Boston. Teams in the cities touching that 'U' matter and the rest don't.

That reality is reflected in coverage by SI, ESPN, the Athletic, whoever.

No amount of 'exposure' will change that. Not for KC or any other city you can think of that lies within the 'U' shape.
[Reply]
DaneMcCloud 02:51 PM 11-06-2020
Originally Posted by Discuss Thrower;15307377[i:
No amount of 'exposure' will change that.[/i] Not for KC or any other city you can think of that lies within the 'U' shape.
If the Raptors or any other successful NBA team moved to Kansas City, there would be at least 40 nights in which the city would be featured on ESPN, TNT and/or ABC, giving the metro area far more national exposure than exists today.

When I mention Kansas City to new people I meet, whether it's parents or doctors or just about any walk of life, the first thing that always comes up is the BBQ. And believe it or not, there are people out there that have never seen Mahomes play, let alone, know that he was the Super Bowl MVP.

I think that will change as his legend grows in the post-season but your U-shaped analogy does make some sense, although we disagree with the premise that an NBA team wouldn't provide great exposure for the city.
[Reply]
Discuss Thrower 03:05 PM 11-06-2020
If the Raptors or any other successful NBA team moved to Kansas City, there would be at least 40 nights in which the city would be featured on ESPN, TNT and/or ABC, giving the metro area far more national exposure than exists today.

When I mentioned Kansas City to new people I meet, whether it's parents or doctors or just about any walk of life, the first thing that always comes up is the BBQ. And believe it or not, there are people out there that have never seen Mahomes play, let alone, know that he was the Super Bowl MVP.

I think that will change as his legend grows in the post-season but your U-shaped analogy does make some sense.
The analogy came from someone talking privately with Cowherd. The rest of the line is "I only care about what's in that 'U' shape because people there like to get laid." So that's something.

I wish I would have saved my source on this but alas.

But putting KC aside since (ostensibly) we both have a positive bias, think of how relevant Chicago is. They get constant exposure through representation in every major pro sport.. but I dare say the random jerkoff in New York, Miami, Dallas or Los Angeles will associate Chicago with the Bulls (who have largely sucked for two decades), the Cubs and then the Bears if you'd ask said jerkoff. Maybe they'll throw in their take on the casserole that is Chicago style pizza, idk.

They're the third largest city in the country and prior to the Cubs finally winning a WS and the Blackhawks taking three Stanley Cups in the last 10 years yet the association the average American might make with Chicago is Jordan's Bulls... which speaks more of Jordan than it does the Bulls.
[Reply]
hometeam 07:28 PM 11-06-2020
I have been a Warriors fan for about the past 12 years (yes, before they where good.)

But, ive said it a hundred times, if we could land a team in KC i would immediately drop the dubs and go all in on a KC team.

Lets goooo
[Reply]
Titty Meat 08:00 PM 11-06-2020
Well for one, by and large nobody cares about baseball save for their own local team so that's a different discussion.

As for your main point.. Colin Cowherd, for as much as what he is, nailed it in describing his standpoint thus: draw a 'U' shape across a map of the CONUS starting from Seattle, head south to California, bend east through central Texas then curve north up along the Atlantic seaboard all the way to Boston. Teams in the cities touching that 'U' matter and the rest don't.

That reality is reflected in coverage by SI, ESPN, the Athletic, whoever.

No amount of 'exposure' will change that. Not for KC or any other city you can think of that lies within the 'U' shape.
Nobody cares about the NBA either
[Reply]
KChiefs1 09:18 PM 11-06-2020
NHL > NBA

I hate hockey too.
[Reply]
RaidersOftheCellar 09:55 PM 11-06-2020
:-)

I’ve been to many games at KU, including the 1988 season and that wasn’t anything close to seeing Kobe and Shaq.
You’re right...Manning and Chris Piper aren’t quite Shaq and Kobe. Neither was anyone else in the NBA.

You could have seen Shaq in college too. I personally think seeing Shaq in a deafening Allen Fieldhouse would be more exciting:
[Reply]
Deberg_1990 12:48 PM 11-20-2020
Welp....

#BREAKING: Raptors will play in Tampa, Florida. @SmithRaps with the details: https://t.co/ixeMZ96laj

— Toronto Star (@TorontoStar) November 20, 2020

[Reply]
Page 11 of 14
« First < 7891011 121314 >
Up