ChiefsPlanet Mobile
Page 2 of 6
< 12 3456 >
Media Center>Best Movie Soundtracks
DJJasonp 07:39 PM 09-13-2020
Was thinking about soundtracks today, and wondered what soundtracks people thought highly of.

So without getting too structured with this, a couple parameters for the discussion:

1. Let's leave out musicals for this discussion (no "Grease" for example)

2. Lower marks for soundtracks that barely featured any of the music from the soundtrack in the film

3. Higher marks for soundtracks where the tracks really match the mood/tone of the film

4. Let's leave out instrumentals (though I do really enjoy them)

So with that in mind, I submit my top 3:

#3: Pretty in Pink - the quintessential 80's soundtrack? Heavily integrated into the film. Top to bottom, a solid lineup of 80's pop/alternative:

Echo & The Bunnymen - Bring on the Dancing Horses
INXS - Do Wot U do
Smiths - Please, Please.....
OMD - If you Leave
Psychedelic Furs - Pretty in Pink
New Order - Shell-Shock

#2: Purple Rain - A classic, with obvious integration all across the film. Highlights include:

Purple Rain
Let's Go Crazy
Darling Nikki
When Doves Cry
I Would Die 4 U

#1: The Crow - perfectly selected tracks that match the Alex Proyas look/feel of the film. Highlights include:

The Cure - Burn
Nine Inch Nails - Dead Souls
Helmet - Milktoast
Stone Temple Pilots - Big Empty
More solid tracks from Rage Against the Machine, Pantera, and Jesus and Mary Chain

Honorable mentions:

American Graffiti
Singles

What say you?
[Reply]
alpha_omega 11:39 AM 09-14-2020
I'm guessing that concert film soundtracks don't count???
[Reply]
Dallas Chief 11:42 AM 09-14-2020
I always thought Blow had a solid soundtrack. I mean anything with Black Betty.

Link to the soundtrack playlist on YT-

https://youtu.be/6HDdiz8MU8o
[Reply]
DJJasonp 11:47 AM 09-14-2020
Originally Posted by eDave:
I wore out the Spawn soundtrack.

Awesome thread idea with excellent choices to date. Almost Famous, Pretty In Pink (all the Hughs films for that matter), and Rockstar in particular.

Soundtrack to The Song Remains The Same is pretty good. Dave Groh's Sound City is good.
This is a good one! Didnt you have to buy this soundtrack to get the Filter/Crystal Method version of "trip like I do"?

Also - Orbital "Satan"!

Good submission!
[Reply]
DJJasonp 11:48 AM 09-14-2020
Originally Posted by alpha_omega:
I'm guessing that concert film soundtracks don't count???
that's a tough one - "Purple Rain" is a tweener.....

Sure, why not?
[Reply]
eDave 11:52 AM 09-14-2020
Originally Posted by DJJasonp:
This is a good one! Didnt you have to buy this soundtrack to get the Filter/Crystal Method version of "trip like I do"?

Also - Orbital "Satan"!

Good submission!

[Reply]
Megatron96 12:12 PM 09-14-2020
Off the top of my head, no particular order:

Butch Cassidy & the Sundance Kid

Christine

The Big Chill

Easy Rider

The Good, the Bad, & the Ugly

The Warriors

Kill Bill

Top Gun

Star Wars: a New Hope

[Reply]
Demonpenz 12:13 PM 09-14-2020
Almost famous Outside providence Kingpin
[Reply]
DeepPurple 12:43 PM 09-14-2020
It's been mentioned a couple of times already, and it's a film I can watch over and over and not get tired of watching. Donnie Darko was a real sleeper. No budget with a no name director and released right after 9/11. The stars were an unknown Jake Gyllenhaal and Jena Malone at the time. Throw in actors like Drew Barrymore, Noah Wiley, Patrick Swayze, Maggie Gyllenhaal, Mary McDonnell, Katharine Ross. The film came out in 2001 but the story is set in 1988 and the music fits the story perfect. I first saw it on HBO about 2002 and have the DVD and it's on my DVR right now. It sort of became a cult film, "Vote for Pedro" T-shirts were popular for awhile. There's even an extra at the bus stop, a young Seth Rogan has his first speaking part.

One of the better known songs used was Tears for Fears Mad World, but don't use their version, they recorded a new version that is slower and more sinister sounding. My favorite in the film is Tears for Fears Head over Heels, the music is in the film and it suddenly turns into a music video.

Another good use of a song was little sister Samantha Darko performing in the school group "Sparkle Motion" to Duran Duran 'Notorious".

One of my favorite scenes is when Donnie Darko talks to Frank the Rabbit in the bathroom, even then the music is sinister. This scene also includes actress Beth Grant. She has a southern accent and always plays an uptight religious fanatic, I've seen her in Six Feet Under, The Office and many other shows, she's a perfect in this film.

[Reply]
DeepPurple 01:09 PM 09-14-2020
It use to be when you said a movie soundtrack, it wasn't pop songs, but music made to play behind the scenes to set the mood. My favorite for that is Taxi Driver, never thought I would like a saxophone that much. It's sets the relaxed atmosphere, the gritty nightlife of a 1976 New York City. The film has some more brighter parts with music, there's even a Jackson Brown song. For the most part this is a great sounding movie and a great story.

When it gets tense, the music heats up!!

Another film that is a real soundtrack rather than songs, is Amadeus. It's not setting the mood, the music is part of the story itself. A 1984 release about the life of Wolfgang Amadeus Mozart. I never thought I would watch the film much less like the film, but I've seen it a dozen times and it's Great!! Make sure you have a killer surround sound and turn it up. It's a little like Black Swan, where the artist starts out sane and drifts into madness. This happens to Mozart and his antagonist Salieri, which is really the main story.

[Reply]
DJJasonp 01:19 PM 09-14-2020
Originally Posted by DeepPurple:
It's been mentioned a couple of times already, and it's a film I can watch over and over and not get tired of watching. Donnie Darko was a real sleeper. No budget with a no name director and released right after 9/11. The stars were an unknown Jake Gyllenhaal and Jena Malone at the time. Throw in actors like Drew Barrymore, Noah Wiley, Patrick Swayze, Maggie Gyllenhaal, Mary McDonnell, Katharine Ross. The film came out in 2001 but the story is set in 1988 and the music fits the story perfect. I first saw it on HBO about 2002 and have the DVD and it's on my DVR right now. It sort of became a cult film, "Vote for Pedro" T-shirts were popular for awhile. There's even an extra at the bus stop, a young Seth Rogan has his first speaking part.

One of the better known songs used was Tears for Fears Mad World, but don't use their version, they recorded a new version that is slower and more sinister sounding. My favorite in the film is Tears for Fears Head over Heels, the music is in the film and it suddenly turns into a music video.

Another good use of a song was little sister Samantha Darko performing in the school group "Sparkle Motion" to Duran Duran 'Notorious".

One of my favorite scenes is when Donnie Darko talks to Frank the Rabbit in the bathroom, even then the music is sinister. This scene also includes actress Beth Grant. She has a southern accent and always plays an uptight religious fanatic, I've seen her in Six Feet Under, The Office and many other shows, she's a perfect in this film.

Yep - love that film. The release was delayed due to 9/11 (wont spoil it if people havent seen it).

The opening scene with Echo & The Bunnymen was perfect too.
[Reply]
Megatron96 01:58 PM 09-14-2020
Forgot about Apocalypse Now.
[Reply]
EPodolak 02:12 PM 09-14-2020
Some of my favorites

Coming Home
McCabe and Mrs Miller
Harold and Maude
Saturday Night Fever
Almost Famous
[Reply]
DeepPurple 02:50 PM 09-14-2020
Not the whole film, but one scene in particular in Body Double directed by Brian De Palma. A 1984 film right after he had directed Carrie, Dressed to Kill, Blow Out and Scarface. It's a cult film for fans of De Palma and it's amazing, especially the first time you see it. Just like in Donnie Darko, the music scene takes on the feel of a music video right in the middle of the film. Actor Craig Wasson is a struggling actor in Hollywood looking to make it in films. Here he plays a nerdy guy in a music video. The film also stars Melanie Griffith, Gregg Henry (you will know his face), and a beautiful Deborah Shelton. The trouble comes when Craig (playing Jake) is offered a beautiful hillside home to house sit for free, however the view will kill you.

It's Showtime!!!

As mentioned just above, Apocalypse Now. The scenes of war are pretty dramatic but the use of rock music just enhances the atmosphere of the 60's.

[Reply]
Cheater5 03:36 PM 09-14-2020
I’m on a mobile device or I’d embed some...but I wore out the ‘Leaving Las Vegas’ soundtrack. Got damn Mike Figgis, and Sting really nailed the vibe of that movie; one of my all time favorites.

My One And Only Love was our wedding song...
[Reply]
HC_Chief 03:57 PM 09-14-2020
Star Wars IV & V
Flash Gordon
South Park: Bigger, Longer, and Uncut
The Good, the Bad, and the Ugly
The Big Lebowski
Repo Man
[Reply]
Page 2 of 6
< 12 3456 >
Up