ChiefsPlanet Mobile
Page 13 of 16
« First < 3910111213 141516 >
Media Center>Anybody like rock and roll?
Merde Furieux 05:31 PM 09-05-2019

[Reply]
DaneMcCloud 01:42 PM 09-25-2020
Originally Posted by DeepPurple:
Dane, did you ever know a producer named David Tedds?
Nope, I'd never even heard the name until your post.

It looks like he was more on the production side of Re-Masters and Reissues but there's very little info on the internet about him.
[Reply]
Merde Furieux 05:11 PM 09-25-2020
Originally Posted by DaneMcCloud:
I can say this on CP because I'm (fairly) anonymous but I ****ing HATE Sharon Osbourne. I mean, ****ing HATE her.

She was so pissed at Daisley and Kerslake for wanting their fair share of publishing and record royalties that she hired Mike Bordin and Robert Trujillo to re-record Blizzard of Ozz and Diary of a Madman.

And while both are outstanding players on their own, they absolutely SUCKED ASS on those albums. I mean, everything was ruined, the feel, the bass tone and the overall drum sound.

I just erased two more paragraphs of stuff that I'm not going to share but suffice to say, it wasn't flattering.
Yes, Sharon is truly evil piece of garbage. her father was a tyrant. Lee Kerslake, Bob Daisley and Randy Rhoades wrote the masterpiece that was Blizzard of Oz, pulling Ozzy Ozbourne out of the gutter. The way she treated them was truly the act of a sociopath.
[Reply]
Merde Furieux 05:14 PM 09-25-2020
Originally Posted by Randallflagg:
Yeah - Al Pitrelli, Paul O'Neil , John Oliva (RIP), Robert Kinkel, and Jeff Plate
My condolences, bro.
[Reply]
DaneMcCloud 09:01 PM 09-25-2020
Yeah - Al Pitrelli, Paul O'Neil , John Oliva (RIP), Robert Kinkel, and Jeff Plate
Paul died a few years ago
[Reply]
Halfcan 10:31 PM 09-25-2020
Originally Posted by patteeu:
I was a Fastway fan when their first album came out.

Years later, I became a fan of Flogging Molly and was surprised to find out that their frontman, Dave King, was the same guy who had been the previously unknown lead singer in Fastway.
I saw Fastway whe they opened for ACDC- I won 2nd row tickets from KY102.

They put on a heck of a show.

Loudest concert I ever saw- probably got hearing damage from the ACDC cannons. For those about to Rock- we will deafen you!!
[Reply]
Randallflagg 05:28 PM 09-26-2020
Paul died a few years ago

Indeed, he did, unfortunately. You know, I generally look at the marketing that goes along with many "rock acts" (and I get it, I truly do). However, looking at a lot of these guys - we tend to pigeon hole them into one thing or another.

Folks look at Dio (for example) and never really "know" that individual and his/her "taste" in music.

I offer this: Kerry Livgren (Kansas) left the band to become a Christian. Couple of years later he went into the studio to do a "Contemporary Christian" album. He used a bushel of musicians from guys from Jethro Tull to Dio....

Listen to this song - and it becomes clear (at least to me) that Dio was one of the finest vocalists that ever sang..... (IMO)

[Reply]
Merde Furieux 03:29 PM 10-03-2020
There was a Checkpoint Charlie

[Reply]
Merde Furieux 03:31 PM 10-03-2020
Originally Posted by Halfcan:
I saw Fastway whe they opened for ACDC- I won 2nd row tickets from KY102.

They put on a heck of a show.

Loudest concert I ever saw- probably got hearing damage from the ACDC cannons. For those about to Rock- we will deafen you!!
I believe it.

The loudest concert I attended was the Ramones in Asbury Park in... 1983? It was so loud, like a buzzsaw
[Reply]
Merde Furieux 03:33 PM 10-03-2020
Indeed, he did, unfortunately. You know, I generally look at the marketing that goes along with many "rock acts" (and I get it, I truly do). However, looking at a lot of these guys - we tend to pigeon hole them into one thing or another.

Folks look at Dio (for example) and never really "know" that individual and his/her "taste" in music.

I offer this: Kerry Livgren (Kansas) left the band to become a Christian. Couple of years later he went into the studio to do a "Contemporary Christian" album. He used a bushel of musicians from guys from Jethro Tull to Dio....

Listen to this song - and it becomes clear (at least to me) that Dio was one of the finest vocalists that ever sang..... (IMO)

Good stuff! Kerry Livgren had a huge impact on anybody who listened to Hard Rock in the 70's, whether they know it or not. From time to time, I play some Kansas on Youtube while I work out in the basement and it's really great stuff.
[Reply]
htismaqe 05:26 PM 10-03-2020

Dio is the greatest metal voice of all time. Ronnie is my favorite performer, period.
[Reply]
DeepPurple 08:15 PM 10-03-2020
...I offer this: Kerry Livgren (Kansas) left the band to become a Christian. Couple of years later he went into the studio to do a "Contemporary Christian" album. He used a bushel of musicians from guys from Jethro Tull to Dio....
When Steve Walsh left Kansas to pursue his solo career and released Schemer Dreamer in 1980, Kerry Livgren must of taken control of the band. While Steve was gone Kansas released Vinyl Confessions and Drastic Measure with John Elefante on vocals and both are considered Christian albums. I guess the rest of the band must of sided with Steve by letting him return and Elefante was out and Livgren didn't like the more rock direction that Steve would bring. The solo album by Steve was like so many others who have tried to step out from the band, it failed, in fact the only CD pressing before 2010 I know of was from Japan.

John Elefante with Kansas 1982.

John Elefante still sings the hits Fight Fire with Fire and Play the Game Tonight as a solo artist. He's gained a few pounds.

What I always found strange was after Steve came back he sings those two hits even though he didn't sing them on the record.

An example of a hit song and the lead singer who didn't record it and returns to the band and does not sing it live is 38 Special. When singer Don Barnes left in the late 80's to try a solo career he was replaced in 38 Special by Max Carl. The band had one hit sung by Carl, it was Second Chance.

If you see 38 Special live now and they perform Second Chance, it's not sung by Don Barnes who returned to the band in '92 but instead by the keyboard player. The song Second Chance was written in '83 by members of the band but Don Barnes at that time refused to record it because he felt it wasn't a 38 Special type song. BTW, Max Carl the original singer of the song is now in Grand Funk Railroad as the replacement for Mark Farner who quit the band 20 years ago due to a disagreement with the drummer Don Brewer who owns the band's name.

[Reply]
htismaqe 09:12 PM 10-03-2020
Livgren is a legend in Christian rock circles, right up there with Petra, Barnabas, and Rez Band.
[Reply]
DaneMcCloud 09:12 PM 10-03-2020
Originally Posted by DeepPurple:
The solo album by Steve was like so many others who have tried to step out from the band, it failed, in fact the only CD pressing before 2010 I know of was from Japan.
It's really a shame that Streets failed to find an audience because it was a pretty cool record with some really great players.

Mike Slamer, their phenomenal guitarist, went on to do session work in LA and played all of the guitar solos on Warrant's debut album, Dirty Rotten Filthy Stinking Rich.

There's an enormous difference in terms of guitar solos and tones between Warrant's first record and their second.
[Reply]
DeepPurple 09:16 AM 10-04-2020
It's really a shame that Streets failed to find an audience because it was a pretty cool record with some really great players.

Mike Slamer, their phenomenal guitarist, went on to do session work in LA and played all of the guitar solos on Warrant's debut album, Dirty Rotten Filthy Stinking Rich.

There's an enormous difference in terms of guitar solos and tones between Warrant's first record and their second.
Totally forgot Streets, their was a small indie label I think from New Hampshire called Wounded Bird that released both on CD about 20 years ago, I've got both and the Live King Biscuit. They were good, more mainstream like Foreigner. Anything Steve sang would sound good.

[Reply]
Merde Furieux 02:13 PM 10-16-2020

[Reply]
Page 13 of 16
« First < 3910111213 141516 >
Up