ChiefsPlanet Mobile
Page 3 of 26
< 123 456713 > Last »
Media Center>Megadeth > Metallica
Dayze 11:51 PM 01-26-2014
To start off:
I'm a HUGE Metallica fan. In fact my first 5 years of playing electric guitar was solely based on Metallica. I started off playing Bluegrass guitar with my dad, even though my soul wasn't bluegrass.

My first exposure to Metallica was hearing "Nothing Else Matters" on MTV before school waiting for my buddy to pick me up for school. I asked my brother if he had ever heard of them, and of course he had. He handed me a tape that had zero information of it. in that all the 'font' (for lack of a better word) was gone. It was a simple 'blank" tape. It was weathered, and the only thing I could determine that it was a Metallica tape was simply my brother's word. It was Master of Puppets Within 4 weeks, I had owned everything of Metallica and had thrown bluegrass by the wayside.

Long loving Metallica fan for years; devoted. Having heard Megadeth and loving a few of their songs, I was still committed to Metallica. However, years later, I've discovered that I may have been premature in my categorization of music.

Years had passed since I had really 'listened' to Megadeth. Years, as in 10+. Then, I stumbled upon a Megadeth record. While it escapes my memory at this point, the collective memory of the tunes has lead me to the belief that Megadeth is better than Metalica.

While some, to what degree I don't know, may have always held this belief, the discovery of Megadeth is a new one for me. After listening to many records, Im beginning to feel more confident in saying that Megadeth is better. Obviously, it's subjective.

Metallica's "Black" Album is equivalent to Pink Floy'd "The Wall" in terms of impact. However, Megadeth's "Symphony of Destruction", has been severely over-shadowed by the 'Black" album of Metallica. Subsequently, as it had been up to that point, Megadeth had fallen by the wayside. "Symphony of Destructions' release around the same time, was over-shadowed by the Black album.

After what was a universal success of the Black album, Megadeth seemed to finally have received the kill shot. But, if we are to look at the records and time frame comparatively, I think Megadeth got the short end of the stick.

Since then, Megadeth has sustained their status despite radio and marketing support. I've listened to several Megadeth albums/tunes from the "Black" album going forward, and I must say they are not getting the credit that is due. In some aspects, they blow Metallica out of the water. To be honest, they are quickly surpassing Metallica.

I've always been a huge fan of Megadeth since the Mechanix type songs. But since Peace Sells Who's Buying album, Megadeth has gotten the shaft. By a LONG shot.

TLDR....but oh well.
[Reply]
htismaqe 06:07 PM 01-27-2014
Originally Posted by mcaj22:
That dipshit they have today was in some pretty good bands back in the 80s/90s. A heck of a lot better than Metallica and Megadeth.
Robert Trujillo was a member of Suicidal Tendencies. He was also a member of Ozzy's band after the end of the Zakk Wylde era and joined Zakk in BLS.

None of the bands he was in were better than either Metallica or Megadeth and it should also be noted that his ENTIRE CAREER is made up of joining established, successful bands after they've had a big shakeup. He's a hired gun and not really anything special.

EDIT: I almost forgot - Trujillo played bass for Ozzy on the 2011 re-issues of "Blizzard" and "Diary" so that Ozzy could avoid paying royalties to Bob Daisley and Lee Kerslake.
[Reply]
Rasputin 06:24 PM 01-27-2014

[Reply]
jspchief 06:31 PM 01-27-2014
Metallica has entire albums that I listen to. Megadeath has songs.

And Master of Puppets was their pinnacle.
[Reply]
Deberg_1990 07:01 PM 01-27-2014
I really dug Death Magnetic.
[Reply]
patteeu 08:38 PM 01-27-2014
I wouldn't say that they're better than Metallica or Megadeath, but the thrash metal band I like listening to the most when the mood strikes is Exodus, the band Kirk Hammett left when he joined Metallica.
[Reply]
htismaqe 08:44 PM 01-27-2014
Originally Posted by patteeu:
I wouldn't say that they're better than Metallica or Megadeath, but the thrash metal band I like listening to the most when the mood strikes is Exodus, the band Kirk Hammett left when he joined Metallica.
Great band.
[Reply]
MOhillbilly 09:42 PM 01-27-2014
The greatest thrash lp of all time is Beowulfs self titled lp.

Agnostic fronts victim in pain is a close second.

Cro mags age of quarrel at #3
[Reply]
MOhillbilly 09:46 PM 01-27-2014
Remastering has destroyed the early thrash metal sound.
[Reply]
mcaj22 10:38 PM 01-27-2014
Originally Posted by htismaqe:
Robert Trujillo was a member of Suicidal Tendencies. He was also a member of Ozzy's band after the end of the Zakk Wylde era and joined Zakk in BLS.

None of the bands he was in were better than either Metallica or Megadeth and it should also be noted that his ENTIRE CAREER is made up of joining established, successful bands after they've had a big shakeup. He's a hired gun and not really anything special.

EDIT: I almost forgot - Trujillo played bass for Ozzy on the 2011 re-issues of "Blizzard" and "Diary" so that Ozzy could avoid paying royalties to Bob Daisley and Lee Kerslake.
commercial success does not factor in what makes a band better or worse in this style of music.
[Reply]
The Franchise 10:42 PM 01-27-2014
Originally Posted by mcaj22:
That dipshit they have today was in some pretty good bands back in the 80s/90s. A heck of a lot better than Metallica and Megadeth.
Still doesn't take away from the fact that he's a dipshit.

Newstead was better.
[Reply]
Third Eye 10:45 PM 01-27-2014
Originally Posted by htismaqe:

Don't forget the side-project Infectious Grooves! Myself, I'm more of a Suicidal fan than either Megadeth or Metallica. I was more of a skater thrash guy. Suicidal and D.R.I. were big for me in the day and I'd still rather listen to them over the other two. For that matter I was a bigger fan of Anthrax and Testament than them as well. Don't get me wrong, Rust in Peace is a classic and Peace Sells has some good stuff, but with the exception of the Black album, I think the most disappointing album ever for me was Countdown to Extinction. How you go from Holy Wars to Sweating Bullets and Symphony of Destruction, I'll never understand.

As far as Metallica goes, sure I liked them, when I was 13. Kill 'em All is the only album I can still listen to these days. Unfortunately, as I got older and became more of a musician myself, I came to realize that there might not be any more overrated musicians on the planet than Kirk and Lars. Well, maybe Flea, but that's an argument for another day.
[Reply]
Reaper16 10:49 PM 01-27-2014
Black Album > Countdown to Extinction
[Reply]
Third Eye 10:50 PM 01-27-2014
Originally Posted by Pestilence:
Still doesn't take away from the fact that he's a dipshit.

Newstead was better.
Tell me one Newsted song where you ever thought, "Damn, that's some good bass playing!" Hell, he was completely mixed out of ...And Justice. I'm not saying Trujillo is a great player, but Newsted was a just a warm body. He contributed nothing.
[Reply]
Gadzooks 10:58 PM 01-27-2014
Originally Posted by Third Eye:
Tell me one Newsted song where you ever thought, "Damn, that's some good bass playing!" Hell, he was completely mixed out of ...And Justice. I'm not saying Trujillo is a great player, but Newsted was a just a warm body. He contributed nothing.
Trujillo is a great bass player and Newsted didn't stand a chance because he followed Cliff, (and thus was mixed out of practically every tune).
Bowser's question was a good hypothetical until Pest shit all over it by calling Trujillo a dipshit for no reason.

[Reply]
The Franchise 11:01 PM 01-27-2014
Originally Posted by Gadzooks:
Trujillo is a great bass player and Newsted didn't stand a chance because he followed Cliff, (and thus was mixed out of practically every tune).
Bowser's question was a good hypothetical until Pest shit all over it by calling Trujillo a dipshit for no reason.
I know....Fuck my opinion....right?
[Reply]
Page 3 of 26
< 123 456713 > Last »
Up