ChiefsPlanet Mobile
Page 5 of 9
< 12345 6789 >
Media Center>I'm going to stab Comcast in the face...
Mecca 10:04 AM 07-06-2020
They are literally the worst fucking ISP...

So Comcast how will you handle what is going on...well you see we will make 3 months of our service not have a data cap..ok even though data caps are complete bullshit, fine. But when we bring them back in July...we're going to take away 1 of your courtesy months without telling you because we think adding 200 gigs to your cap is sufficient...

Also we are going to take that other courtesy month because June is going to count when we calculate data even though we said it wouldn't count...

Is there a worse company out there than this, their customer service motto should be, bend over and take it.
[Reply]
Mecca 11:16 AM 08-04-2020
Originally Posted by lawrenceRaider:
Cable internet is terrible. You are sharing bandwidth with all your neighbors. So when everyone is on, you won't be able to get anywhere near the advertised speeds.

The small print admits to all that, so you have no real recourse.
Why is a gigabit modem/router giving me worse speeds than a 300mbps one?
[Reply]
htismaqe 11:43 AM 08-04-2020
Originally Posted by Mecca:
Why is a gigabit modem/router giving me worse speeds than a 300mbps one?
It's possible it's not the right kind of modem for your cable signal. They're supposed to be backwards compatible but they aren't always foolproof.

Have them replace your cable modem for starters.
[Reply]
Mecca 11:44 AM 08-04-2020
Originally Posted by htismaqe:
It's possible it's not the right kind of modem for your cable signal. They're supposed to be backwards compatible but they aren't always foolproof.

Have them replace your cable modem for starters.
It's been replaced once....

I'm not super knowledgeable about modems but it's this...

https://www.theverge.com/2020/1/6/21...urity-ces-2020

If you know anything about it that would be great.
[Reply]
lawrenceRaider 11:46 AM 08-04-2020
Could be that it isn't configured correctly.

Are you hard wired, or on wireless?
[Reply]
htismaqe 11:50 AM 08-04-2020
Could be that it isn't configured correctly.

Are you hard wired, or on wireless?
Yeah, I noticed that he said he has a printer that keeps disconnecting. Is the printer wireless or wired?

If your modem has a built in wireless router, turn it off. They're generally junk. Have Comcast configure for modem/bridge mode and get your own router. That would be one other general piece of advice I could offer before getting more specific.
[Reply]
Mecca 11:55 AM 08-04-2020
I use both but yea it's the all in one, the thing about the printer is, it's wireless and it connects to one computer fine yet the other one no, even though it worked yesterday.

The way the entire thing works is entirely annoying.
[Reply]
htismaqe 11:59 AM 08-04-2020
I use both but yea it's the all in one, the thing about the printer is, it's wireless and it connects to one computer fine yet the other one no, even though it worked yesterday.

The way the entire thing works is entirely annoying.
I've seen that issue before with Netgear wireless routers. Do you have any special characters in your SSID or preshared key (assuming you're using WPA2-PSK)?
[Reply]
Mecca 12:09 PM 08-04-2020
Originally Posted by htismaqe:
I've seen that issue before with Netgear wireless routers. Do you have any special characters in your SSID or preshared key (assuming you're using WPA2-PSK)?
I do not
[Reply]
htismaqe 01:30 PM 08-04-2020
I do not
Are you running single or dual band? If you are running 2.4Ghz, are you running 20Mhz channels or 40Mhz channels.

Some things to consider:

If you're using 2.4Ghz, only use 20Mhz in a populated area. 40Mhz channels just can't work in a crowded environment and even if they aren't causing all of your problems, you're annoying the crap out of your neighbors.

For your 2.4Ghz control channel, only use 1, 6, or 11. Don't use anything else as it increases the chance for signal overlap. If your wifi router has a Site Survey function, use it to determine which of the 3 is the least-used in your area.

Obviously the best answer is to avoid using 2.4Ghz but I can almost guarantee that your printer uses 2.4Ghz unfortunately. I haven't seen many dual band printers.

I can give you pointers on the 5Ghz side too but probably best to focus on one thing at a time (the printer). Too much tweaking and you won't be able to isolate what is working and what isn't.
[Reply]
cooper barrett 03:35 PM 08-04-2020
I hope you are not so stupid to think that a simple waterproof connection not being waterproof couldn't be the problem. You are responsible for inside your house and Comcast will test it up to that point for free.

You should log the time and dates when you are not getting acceptable service to be taken seriously.

PS Buy the gig service

Cable internet is terrible. You are sharing bandwidth with all your neighbors. So when everyone is on, you won't be able to get anywhere near the advertised speeds.

[Reply]
lawrenceRaider 08:58 AM 08-05-2020
Originally Posted by cooper barrett:
I hope you are not so stupid to think that a simple waterproof connection not being waterproof couldn't be the problem. You are responsible for inside your house and Comcast will test it up to that point for free.

You should log the time and dates when you are not getting acceptable service to be taken seriously.

PS Buy the gig service
What was that babble about? Good God man.

As to service, if you could read and comprehend, you would see above that I have ATT's gigabit fiber service. Get the advertised speeds, have no issues as I always did with cable with slowdowns, and am paying just $60/month all fees included.

BTW, I did let Cox, who is the cable ripoff provider in my city, know times and speeds to no avail. They just pointed to the fine print.

Cable internet SUCKS. Unless your provider is using fiber.
[Reply]
Mecca 09:06 AM 08-05-2020
So today my wifi printer works fine, I did nothing to fix this...makes a ton of sense.
[Reply]
BWillie 04:08 PM 08-05-2020
Have you guys noticed the need to make your ISP switch your router out every so often? I wonder what type of life those things have until they started to act wonky. I've noticed lately my router (I'm a dumbass and rent it from them) goes down way to often. It's about 3 years old now.
[Reply]
DaneMcCloud 04:31 PM 08-05-2020
Originally Posted by BWillie:
Have you guys noticed the need to make your ISP switch your router out every so often? I wonder what type of life those things have until they started to act wonky. I've noticed lately my router (I'm a dumbass and rent it from them) goes down way to often. It's about 3 years old now.
No.

On the recommendation of a very successful Audio-Video company that did some installations in my home, I switched to a Ubiquiti Wireless Router and a Ubiquiti Access Point for the fourth floor of my home.

I haven't had a single issue since and both are 4 years old.
[Reply]
Megatron96 04:34 PM 08-05-2020

Interesting. I'm not having that problem. At all. Now I wonder why.
[Reply]
Page 5 of 9
< 12345 6789 >
Up