Other (discuss below) 24 12.18%
Drew Brees 3 1.52%
Voters: 197. You may not vote on this poll
Page 4 of 12
< 1234 5678 > Last »
Nzoner's Game Room>Who is the GOAT QB?
Amnorix 11:56 AM 08-16-2019
Other than Mahomes, of course... :-)

I came up with my top 10, or you can fill in the blank.

(Jesus, no Brees. I am a genious... :-))
[Reply]
crayzkirk 03:07 PM 08-16-2019
It makes me nauseous however I voted for Elway. If you want to look at pure passing statistics, then he shouldn't be anywhere at all. However, he had the ability to win games that the Broncos had no business winning. Maybe it's because I watched the Chiefs give up more leads than any other team to the Broncos.

Totally different era as well, QBs used to be football players and would take some big hits. They are so protected now.
[Reply]
St. Patty's Fire 03:08 PM 08-16-2019
patrick mahomes
[Reply]
Rain Man 03:10 PM 08-16-2019
If you have Excel, here are the top ten quarterbacks by year in the NFL, based on my own weightings of yards, TDs, interceptions, and some other measures. This is based on regular season stats.
Attached: QBs in Top Ten By Year - Reformat 02.xls (52.0 KB) 
[Reply]
New World Order 03:14 PM 08-16-2019
Damn Rain, nice work
[Reply]
Rain Man 03:14 PM 08-16-2019
Based on my analysis, here are the guys who were the best QB in the league more than one season.

Otto Graham* - CLE 5
Benny Friedman* - CLE 4
Brett Favre* - GNB 4
Peyton Manning - IND 4
Steve Young* - SFO 4
Tom Brady - NWE 4
Arnie Herber* - GNB 3
Dan Fouts* - LAC 3
Drew Brees - NOR 3
Sammy Baugh* - WAS 3
Y.A. Tittle* - SFO 3
Cecil Isbell - GNB 2
Dan Marino* - MIA 2
Ed Danowski - NYG 2
Fran Tarkenton* - MIN 2
Frank Filchock - WAS 2
Jim Everett - LAR 2
John Brodie - SFO 2
Johnny Unitas* - IND 2
Kurt Warner* - LAR 2
Norm Van Brocklin* - LAR 2
Roger Staubach* - DAL 2
Sonny Jurgensen* - WAS 2
[Reply]
smithandrew051 03:14 PM 08-16-2019
Originally Posted by crayzkirk:
It makes me nauseous however I voted for Elway. If you want to look at pure passing statistics, then he shouldn't be anywhere at all. However, he had the ability to win games that the Broncos had no business winning. Maybe it's because I watched the Chiefs give up more leads than any other team to the Broncos.

Totally different era as well, QBs used to be football players and would take some big hits. They are so protected now.
I get that he occasionally had late game magic....bbbuuuuuutttt maybe if he put up better passing numbers throughout the game, he wouldn’t have needed the late game magic. He would’ve won those games more comfortably.

All time great? Sure. I just can’t get past such pedestrian passing statistics in the GOAT conversation.
[Reply]
staylor26 03:18 PM 08-16-2019
Brady
[Reply]
Wallcrawler 03:25 PM 08-16-2019
Joe Montana, and its not even close. 4-0 in superbowl appearances when it was a ****ing mans game.

None of this built for TV offense bullshit where the qb might as well have secret service agents in the pocket with him. Defenders cant touch receivers, much less lay down intimidating hits over the middle. Might as well be flag football now.

God Id love to see Brady play ONE game in that era. Longest piss trail back home to mommy and daddy you ever seen.

Chris Jones slapped his shoulderpad lightly and it was a 15 yard personal foul. The little bitch didnt even get moved off his spot much less go down and its a 15 yard penalty. Anytime hes touched, Brady is off crying to an official about it. Biggest cunt strapping up a helmet today.

Brady's longevity and "greatness" have been manufactured by the pussification of the NFL.

Joe's still the ****ing man, period.
[Reply]
Rain Man 03:26 PM 08-16-2019
Here are the number of seasons that every quarterback was a top-three quarterback. I like this analysis because it somewhat controls for eras. More seasons mean that there were more times that the quarterback put his team in a good position for a championship.

I'll highlight a few interesting ones in bold font.

Peyton Manning - IND 12
Otto Graham* - CLE 8
Brett Favre* - GNB 7
Dan Marino* - MIA 7
Drew Brees - NOR 7
Johnny Unitas* - IND 7
Sammy Baugh* - WAS 7
Fran Tarkenton* - MIN 6
Joe Montana* - SFO 6
Sid Luckman* - CHI 6
Tom Brady - NWE 6
Aaron Rodgers - GNB 5
Arnie Herber* - GNB 5
Bobby Layne* - DET 5
Norm Van Brocklin* - LAR 5
Sonny Jurgensen* - PHI 5
Y.A. Tittle* - SFO 5
Benny Friedman* - CLE 4
Dan Fouts* - LAC 4
Ken Anderson - CIN 4
Len Dawson* - KAN 4
Roger Staubach* - DAL 4
Steve Young* - SFO 4
Drew Bledsoe - NWE 3
Ed Danowski - NYG 3
John Hadl - LAC 3
Ken Stabler* - OAK 3
Kurt Warner* - LAR 3
Philip Rivers - LAC 3
Red Dunn - GNB 3
Tobin Rote - GNB 3
Warren Moon* - TEN 3
Wild Bill Kelly - EXT 3
Ace Parker* - EXT 2
Bert Jones - IND 2
Bob Griese* - MIA 2
Bob Monnett - GNB 2
Bob Waterfield* - LAR 2
Boomer Esiason - CIN 2
Carson Palmer - CIN 2
Cecil Isbell - GNB 2
Curly Lambeau* - GNB 2
Daryle Lamonica - OAK 2
Daunte Culpepper - MIN 2
Ernie Nevers* - ARI 2
Frank Filchock - WAS 2
Frankie Albert - SFO 2
Glenn Presnell - EXT 2
Hust Stockton - EXT 2
Jack McBride - NYG 2
Jim Everett - LAR 2
Joe Namath* - NYJ 2
John Brodie - SFO 2
Ken O'Brien - NYJ 2
Matt Ryan - ATL 2
Milt Plum - CLE 2
Neil Lomax - ARI 2
Norm Snead - NYG 2
Randall Cunningham - PHI 2
Rich Gannon - OAK 2
Sonny Winters - EXT 2
Steve Bartkowski - ATL 2
Troy Aikman* - DAL 2

I'll put the one-timers like Elway and Brian Sipe and Elmer Oliphant in a spoiler since there are a ton of them.

Spoiler!

[Reply]
Hog's Gone Fishin 03:59 PM 08-16-2019
Rainman, what stat are you using to determine best QB?
[Reply]
chiefzilla1501 04:04 PM 08-16-2019
Originally Posted by Wallcrawler:
Joe Montana, and its not even close. 4-0 in superbowl appearances when it was a ****ing mans game.

None of this built for TV offense bullshit where the qb might as well have secret service agents in the pocket with him. Defenders cant touch receivers, much less lay down intimidating hits over the middle. Might as well be flag football now.

God Id love to see Brady play ONE game in that era. Longest piss trail back home to mommy and daddy you ever seen.

Chris Jones slapped his shoulderpad lightly and it was a 15 yard personal foul. The little bitch didnt even get moved off his spot much less go down and its a 15 yard penalty. Anytime hes touched, Brady is off crying to an official about it. Biggest **** strapping up a helmet today.

Brady's longevity and "greatness" have been manufactured by the pussification of the NFL.

Joe's still the ****ing man, period.
You do realize Brady has been playing since 2002, right? Early in his career he was winning games in similar ways that Montana did. I'm a huge fan of Montana. But the idea that Brady was built by his era or by bellichick is nonsense.
[Reply]
RealSNR 04:12 PM 08-16-2019
You said "other than Patrick Mahomes," but I decided to disobey the rules similar to Tom Brady wiping his phone before handing it over in the NFL in the deflategate investigation.

I chose "other," and that "other" is a vote for Patrick Mahomes.
[Reply]
Rain Man 04:14 PM 08-16-2019
Originally Posted by Hog's Gone Fishin:
Rainman, what stat are you using to determine best QB?
I built an algorithm a while back because I knew we would need it at some point. I weighted every QB as follows:

Sum of their rank among QBs that year on yards per attempt, yards, completion percentage, TD passes, interception percentage, and (with a 1/10th weighting) starts. Starts is just because there were no other stats available in the early days of the NFL. I then added the square root of the two smallest (best) ranks and subtracted the square root of the two largest (worst) ranks in those measures, because sometimes an outlier would throw a quarterback's score way off.
[Reply]
ThaVirus 05:00 PM 08-16-2019
There are a lot of factors, but I don't think you could go wrong with Peyton Manning, Tom Brady, Aaron Rodgers or Steve Young.
[Reply]
ThaVirus 05:01 PM 08-16-2019
2010 postseason-2011 regular season Aaron Rodgers is the peak. He's probably got the best arm talent I've ever seen.

Guys like Brady, Montana and Otto Graham have the best resumes.

Marino and Manning just fucking got it done. For multiple unlucky reasons they just weren't able to rally through to get all the team accolades that are so important to gauging QBs.

Steve Young and Kurt Warner didn't do it for long enough.

Brees is a stat whore douche. Guy doesn't even win his division more often than not.

Idk why people even mention Elway or Favre in the GOAT conversation..
[Reply]
Page 4 of 12
< 1234 5678 > Last »
Up