ChiefsPlanet Mobile
Nzoner's Game Room>Does the NFL finally get rid of TV blackouts?
Lprechaun 11:36 AM 08-08-2020
This season they cant require a sold out game for local games, hopefully this is the end of that god forsaken rule.
[Reply]
Bugeater 11:46 AM 08-08-2020
They won't get rid of it, they just can't enforce it this year.
[Reply]
htismaqe 11:47 AM 08-08-2020
Originally Posted by Bugeater:
They won't get rid of it, they just can't enforce it this year.
Exactly.
[Reply]
treeguy27 11:58 AM 08-08-2020
The owners obviously want the blackout rule. I doubt it goes anywhere after this season. In fact I can see a scenario where it becomes enforced even more. If fans are hesitant to pack into a stadium with 70K others after the Covid situation, Owners aren't going to happily give up those ticket sales. With some fans scared of Covid and the improvement of home theater set ups selling out stadiums could get even more difficult for some of the crappy teams.
[Reply]
DaneMcCloud 12:15 PM 08-08-2020
:-)

The NFL hasn't instituted the Blackout Rule since the 2014 season.
[Reply]
The Franchise 12:40 PM 08-08-2020
Now would be the time for the NFL to offer a stream of your favorite teams games.

$150-$200 and you can live stream all of the Chiefs games.

I’d easily pay that.
[Reply]
KCUnited 12:42 PM 08-08-2020
With a NC 17 premium for the on field mic'd up version
[Reply]
Lprechaun 01:03 PM 08-08-2020
I think this has the opposite affect and I do think it goes away.
I think the tv revenue outweighs butts in the seats. I also think more seats will become a higher grade more expensive seat.
[Reply]
displacedinMN 01:08 PM 08-08-2020
Originally Posted by DaneMcCloud:
:-)

The NFL hasn't instituted the Blackout Rule since the 2014 season.
Even with Raider games? Wow.

But....the NFL needs to open everything up. Sunday Ticket/online/radio/etc

Just use Omaha or DSM as a model. There are times (before the mahomes era) that game would not be seen in DSM.

This year-if you are a season ticket holder and you are not allowed to go to the game-you are screwed. So it is off to the bar-if it is open.

DSM could run Vikes on 17.1 and pack on 17.2, bears on 17.3
Chiefs on 8.1, something else on 8.2

NFL needs to make a change NOW!. It may be easier with OTA and digital stations.

Minneapolis could play the Vikes on 9.1, the packers on 9.2 (make the packer fans happy-ugh) Chiefs on 4.1, and something else on 4.2
[Reply]
DaneMcCloud 01:10 PM 08-08-2020
Originally Posted by Lprechaun:
I think this has the opposite affect and I do think it goes away.
I think the tv revenue outweighs butts in the seats. I also think more seats will become a higher grade more expensive seat.
It can't "go away" when it hasn't been in effect since 2014
[Reply]
Lprechaun 01:12 PM 08-08-2020
It can't "go away" when it hasn't been in effect since 2014
Except it's still a policy. In fact going into last year there were reports owners had hoped it would be done away with.
It still exits and should not be allowed to be an excuse to not televise games.
[Reply]
DaneMcCloud 01:13 PM 08-08-2020
Originally Posted by The Franchise:
Now would be the time for the NFL to offer a stream of your favorite teams games.
Originally Posted by displacedinMN:
NFL needs to make a change NOW!. It may be easier with OTA and digital stations.
AT&T/Direct TV own the Sunday Ticket/out of market broadcast rights until the end of the 2022 season, so the only way to get out of market games is either by subscribing to Direct TV and their package, watch a pirated stream or have a .edu email address in order to qualify for their Student Pricing.
[Reply]
DaneMcCloud 01:14 PM 08-08-2020
Originally Posted by Lprechaun:
Except it's still a policy. In fact going into last year there were reports owners had hoped it would be done away with.
It still exits and should not be allowed to be an excuse to not televise games.
There hasn't been an NFL blackout since 2014 and it's not happening in 2020.
[Reply]
displacedinMN 01:27 PM 08-08-2020
AT&T/Direct TV own the Sunday Ticket/out of market broadcast rights until the end of the 2022 season, so the only way to get out of market games is either by subscribing to Direct TV and their package, watch a pirated stream or have a .edu email address in order to qualify for their Student Pricing.
I have directv just for chiefs games. Although the last few years-many games have been on here.

I do like the platform of DTV.

If the NFL goes to ATT and says They want the release games-that may be the end of DTV. They are teetering anyway.
[Reply]
DaneMcCloud 01:46 PM 08-08-2020
Originally Posted by displacedinMN:
If the NFL goes to ATT and says They want the release games-that may be the end of DTV. They are teetering anyway.
The NFL's "Op-Out" option with Direct TV expired in 2019, so there's no chance that the NFL would even attempt such a thing at this point in time, especially given that they're already facing approximately $3 billion in losses this season due to empty stadiums.
[Reply]
Up