ChiefsPlanet Mobile
Page 3 of 3
< 123
Media Center>Tarantino making the Star Trek movie is still “a big possibility,”
BigRedChief 11:27 PM 06-10-2019
Quentin Tarantino is starting to do press for his upcoming film Once Upon A Time In Hollywood. Back in April Tarantino was quoted as saying making the movie is still “a big possibility,” and thanks to the press junket for the film, there’s been a bit more talk of his Trek movie.

While chatting with Empire magazine (the latest issue is available now to subscribers, and will be on newsstands later in the week), he was asked about the potential Star Trek movie he had pitched to Bad Robot in 2017. As previously reported, last year Tarantino’s initial idea was fleshed out into a draft of a script by screenwriter Mark L. Smith. And that’s where it sat, waiting for more action. Tarantino says the next step is for him to give notes on it:

There’s a script that exists for it now, I need to weigh in on it, but haven’t been able to do that yet.

Also not a surprise, and something that’s been brought up before, is that Tarantino would want to make the movie R-rated. The director confirmed this to Empire:

Oh yeah! It’s an R-rated move. If I do it, it’ll be R-rated.

Paramount keen on working with Tarantino

Tarantino’s film Upon a Time in Hollywood will be released next month, on July 26th. The Oscar-winning writer/director’s recent comments sound like he is interested in taking the next steps to develop his Star Trek movie later in the year. And based on comments from Paramount motion-picture group president Wyck Godfrey in January, the studio is also keen on Tarantino Trek.

Little is known about Tarantino’s Star Trek concept. Reports differ on what characters it would involve, although some of the cast of the Kelvin films have indicated they believe they would be involved, including Karl Urban who has called the concept “bananas.” Cast members from Star Trek’s prime timeline have also expressed an interest in being involved, including William Shatner, Patrick Stewart, and Jonathan Frakes.

More info here:
https://trekmovie.com/2019/06/10/que...tar-trek-film/
[Reply]
Frazod 11:11 AM 08-08-2020
Originally Posted by Mephistopheles Janx:
I'm not a huge Tarantino fan. I do, though, understand his appeal. I was willing to give him a shot at this being that I love Trek and I get the guy is super talented.

That said, a 30's gangster Star Trek sounds like 12 pounds of dogshit in a 5lb bag.
Yeah, it sounds pretty lame.

There are really only a handful of TOS episodes that have stood the test of time. Piece of the Action ain't one of them.
[Reply]
Deberg_1990 11:38 AM 08-08-2020
Originally Posted by Frazod:

There are really only a handful of TOS episodes that have stood the test of time. Piece of the Action ain't one of them.
The 3rd season has some horrendous episodes.

https://youtu.be/-pNQYHvhnms
[Reply]
sully1983 11:48 AM 08-08-2020
Originally Posted by Mephistopheles Janx:
I'm not a huge Tarantino fan. I do, though, understand his appeal. I was willing to give him a shot at this being that I love Trek and I get the guy is super talented.

That said, a 30's gangster Star Trek sounds like 12 pounds of dogshit in a 5lb bag.
lol man I don't know I think it would have some potential. Picture a bunch of gangsters shooting their tommy guns at Kirk & Spock and then they blast them with their phasers (killing em all). lol could actually be badass if done right

Ideally I really just want Tarantino to tackle the sci fi genre whether it be a Star Trek film or something else.
[Reply]
DaneMcCloud 12:05 PM 08-08-2020
Originally Posted by BigRedChief:
This idea ain’t dead yet. Tarantino, 1930’s gangsters and Star Trek? Sign me up
From my understanding, Emma Watts, the new Paramount Pictures Group president "paused" all Star Trek movie development, including Noah Hawley's take, which would have re-united Chris Pine and Chris Hemsworth.

There's so much going on over there with the re-merging of CBS & Viacom, along with their new streaming service plan that it will likely be a while before anything concrete happens with the film side of Trek.
[Reply]
DaneMcCloud 12:10 PM 08-08-2020
Originally Posted by Frazod:

Yeah, I can't imagine Chris Pine trying to pull off a 20's gangster character with dialog written by Tarantino.

Plus, that episode? :-)

I remember seeing it about the same time as the primetime show, Alice, which was really popular in the mid-70's and thinking "Hey, isn't that the cook on Alice? Mel?".

IMO, the best idea for a tying in a new Star Trek film with the TOS would be centered around Gary Seven.
[Reply]
Frazod 01:02 PM 08-08-2020
Originally Posted by DaneMcCloud:
Yeah, I can't imagine Chris Pine trying to pull off a 20's gangster character with dialog written by Tarantino.

Plus, that episode? :-)

I remember seeing it about the same time as the primetime show, Alice, which was really popular in the mid-70's and thinking "Hey, isn't that the cook on Alice? Mel?".

IMO, the best idea for a tying in a new Star Trek film with the TOS would be centered around Gary Seven.
At this point, the only Star Trek I'm looking forward to is the new Pike-centered series. And I pray they don't fuck it up.
[Reply]
Jamie 01:26 PM 08-08-2020
The more I think about this the more I like it. Because it's not time travel, it's an alien culture that was contaminated by Earth culture. It's basically a way to drop the Star Trek characters into the middle of a Tarantino movie and have it make sense. It'd be more of a Star Trek IV.
[Reply]
DaneMcCloud 01:41 PM 08-08-2020
Originally Posted by Jamie:
The more I think about this the more I like it. Because it's not time travel, it's an alien culture that was contaminated by Earth culture. It's basically a way to drop the Star Trek characters into the middle of a Tarantino movie and have it make sense. It'd be more of a Star Trek IV.
I'm having a difficult time figuring out why a movie studio would drop in excess of $150 million dollars on a feature film based on a popular TV series with a "Fish Out of Water" story.
[Reply]
Jamie 02:04 PM 08-08-2020
Okay, but on the flip side, I don't know why that idea would require a $150 million budget. You could probably do it for half that.
[Reply]
DaneMcCloud 02:08 PM 08-08-2020
Okay, but on the flip side, I don't know why that idea would require a $150 million budget. You could probably do it for half that.
Not with marketing or Chris Pine's rate. Karl Urban's rate is higher than 2009 or 2016 as well.

Season One of The Mandalorian cost north of $125 million and that was TV. The second season is well over $150 million.
[Reply]
Jamie 07:16 PM 08-08-2020
I mean, okay. The Mandalorian was an effects-heavy TV show that consisted of six-ish hours of content, so it's a very apples-to-oranges comparison.

A more apt comparison would be a period movie with an expensive cast. Most convenient example, Once Upon A Time In Hollywood had a $90 million budget. DiCaprio and Pitt took pay cuts (to $10 million), but that's still more than they'd have to pay Chris Pine.
[Reply]
DaneMcCloud 08-08-2020, 07:34 PM
This message has been deleted by DaneMcCloud.
DaneMcCloud 07:43 PM 08-08-2020
I mean, okay. The Mandalorian was an effects-heavy TV show that consisted of six-ish hours of content, so it's a very apples-to-oranges comparison.
Wrong.

You clearly know nothing about the difference between Feature Film set and TV sets. And The Mandalorian didn't have to do much marketing because Star Wars has a massive built in audience.

A more apt comparison would be a period movie with an expensive cast. Most convenient example, Once Upon A Time In Hollywood had a $90 million budget. DiCaprio and Pitt took pay cuts (to $10 million), but that's still more than they'd have to pay Chris Pine.
:-)

Good god, no.

DiCaprio and Pitt took less up front because they received a percentage of the film's gross on the back end, something that none of the agents of the stars of a Star Trek film, especially this particular Star Trek film, would agree to take.

Star Trek Beyond cost $185 million before marketing, so there's no way they're making a Star Trek film in 2021 for less than $150 million. Hell, CBS is spending upwards of $12 million per episode of Discovery!

Your Hollywood takes are just completely awful.
[Reply]
Deberg_1990 07:47 PM 08-08-2020
I Thought Tarantino killed this or Paramount did?
[Reply]
DaneMcCloud 08:06 PM 08-08-2020
Originally Posted by Deberg_1990:
I Thought Tarantino killed this or Paramount did?
Viacom/CBS has put everything on hold (which essentially means, cancelled) because they just hired a new person to run their Paramount Pictures division.

It's been standard practice for decades that when a president of a film studio or record company is hired, Job One is cut every unnecessary and locked deal and start from scratch. I have scores of friends that had record deals in the 80's and 90's whose albums were in the can and generally cost more than $1 million to make that were immediately tossed in the trash when a new president took over the reigns.

Paramount Pictures and Emma Watts just did the same exact thing this week: They started cutting films from their Annual Budget and Planning..

No one wants to take on their predecessor's projects because the new person didn't Greenlight them and doesn't want their legacy to be tainted or tarnished by someone else's decisions.
[Reply]
Jamie 09:54 PM 08-08-2020
Originally Posted by DaneMcCloud:
Wrong.
You clearly know nothing about the difference between Feature Film set and TV sets. And The Mandalorian didn't have to do much marketing because Star Wars has a massive built in audience.
You understand that telling me I don't know anything isn't actually making a point. What possible reason would a TV show be a better comparable for a movie, than another movie? What the fuck are you trying to say?

Originally Posted by :
DiCaprio and Pitt took less up front because they received a percentage of the film's gross on the back end, something that none of the agents of the stars of a Star Trek film, especially this particular Star Trek film, would agree to take.
Not my point, does not refute anything I was saying. Once Upon A Time In Hollywood dedicated $20 million from the budget to Pitt and DiCaprio, Chris Pine won't be that expensive in straight dollars. Points on the back end are irrelevant.

When they made the deal for Star Trek Beyond Pine signed on to do a 4th movie for $6 million. When he walked away in 2018 it was because Paramount was trying to cut his pay down from that, he wasn't asking for more. There's no reason to think Chris Pine will cost them more than $6 million.

Originally Posted by :
Star Trek Beyond cost $185 million before marketing, so there's no way they're making a Star Trek film in 2021 for less than $150 million.
Why? If it's not a VFX clusterfuck then what do they need to spend the money on?

Originally Posted by :
Hell, CBS is spending upwards of $12 million per episode of Discovery!
According to Variety season 1 was $8.5 million per episode, after budget overruns. And it was a VFX spectacle show. Huge space battles, all kinds of sets, dozens of extras in full-face Klingon makeup and wardrobe.

Originally Posted by :
Your Hollywood takes are just completely awful.
Insightful as always.
[Reply]
Page 3 of 3
< 123
Up