ChiefsPlanet Mobile
Page 9 of 14
« First < 56789 10111213 > Last »
Washington DC and The Holy Land>Adam Schiff announces sweeping investigation into Trump's finances and Russia
Taco John 08:44 PM 02-08-2019




(CNN)House Intelligence Committee Chairman Adam Schiff announced Wednesday a broad investigation his committee would undertake "beyond Russia" into whether President Donald Trump's financial interests are driving his actions.

Schiff said the investigation would "allow us to investigate any credible allegation that financial interests or other interests are driving decision-making of the President or anyone in the administration."

"That pertains to any credible allegations of leverage by the Russians or the Saudis or anyone else," Schiff told reporters after the House Intelligence Committee's first meeting in the new Congress.

In a statement, Schiff said the investigation would include a continued probe into Russia's actions during the 2016 election and contacts between the Russia and Trump's team, as well as an examination of "whether any foreign actor has sought to compromise or holds leverage, financial or otherwise, over Donald Trump, his family, his business, or his associates."

Schiff said the investigation, which could involve additional congressional committees, would also look at whether Trump or his associates have "sought to influence US government policy in service of foreign interests" and any potential obstruction into the various investigations.

Schiff's announcement is the most detailed look yet into how congressional Democrats will investigate Trump's finances and possible ties to foreign entities, and how Democrats are sure to continue probing Trump and his team well after special counsel Robert Mueller's investigation had concluded.
Trump reacted Wednesday to Schiff's announcement by slamming the California Democrat and saying Schiff has "no basis to do that."

"He's just a political hack trying to build a name for himself," Trump said in the Roosevelt Room Wednesday after announcing his new nominee to be World Bank president. "It's called presidential harassment and it is unfortunate."

Trump's comments followed his State of the Union speech Tuesday in which he warned Democrats against undertaking "ridiculous partisan investigations."

Schiff responded to Trump's attack on Twitter, saying: "We're going to do our job and won't be distracted or intimidated by threats or attacks.

https://www.cnn.com/2019/02/06/polit...m_source=twCNN
[Reply]
Donger 04:30 PM 02-09-2019
Originally Posted by IowaHawkeyeChief:
Do you think SCOTUS would support the subpoena of his Tax returns without evidence of any potential crime?
Are you saying thatís required?
[Reply]
Donger 04:33 PM 02-09-2019
Originally Posted by patteeu:
Handing it off is just another way of getting around the normal restrictions so I would not be. The counterintelligence investigation should be about national security, not about domestic law enforcement.
Sorry Iím just stunned that youíd be fine with ignoring crimes that might come to light in the course of Muellerís investigation. Wouod you have felt the same if the Democrats were under the same investigation? What about Starr?
[Reply]
Donger 04:35 PM 02-09-2019
Originally Posted by patteeu:
You think name calling justifies a wide ranging fishing expedition into the name callerís past? I donít.
Itís not really name calling. Or at least much more than that. It isnít Trump coming up with yet another childish pet name for an opponent. Itís POTUS saying that the press is the enemy of the people. If you canít see the divisiveness of that, I donít know what to say.
[Reply]
RodeoPants2 04:36 PM 02-09-2019
Originally Posted by Bowser:
Your opinion is weak. If America had been truly fed up with Trump and wanted to "speak loudly" about it, the Dems would have blown the Pubs out in both the House and the Senate, not just picked up 40 seats in the House. As it stands, this midterm went about as expected in regards to party lines. Maybe even with the Dems doing a little more poorly than expected, honestly.

[Reply]
Chief Northman 04:37 PM 02-09-2019
Originally Posted by Donger:
Are you saying thatís required?
JFC.

Are you supporting show trials?
[Reply]
Chief Northman 04:38 PM 02-09-2019
Originally Posted by RodeoPants2:
Meme proof you are not from the United States.
[Reply]
patteeu 04:38 PM 02-09-2019
Originally Posted by Donger:
Sorry Iím just stunned that youíd be fine with ignoring crimes that might come to light in the course of Muellerís investigation. Wouod you have felt the same if the Democrats were under the same investigation? What about Starr?
Yes, Iím consistent on this.
[Reply]
patteeu 04:40 PM 02-09-2019
Originally Posted by Donger:
Itís not really name calling. Or at least much more than that. It isnít Trump coming up with yet another childish pet name for an opponent. Itís POTUS saying that the press is the enemy of the people. If you canít see the divisiveness of that, I donít know what to say.
You think divisiveness justifies a wide ranging fishing expedition into the name callerís past?
[Reply]
Donger 04:41 PM 02-09-2019
Originally Posted by patteeu:
Yes, Iím consistent on this.
IIRC, Starr had a similar task as Mueller. That he should investigate other matters that arose during his investigation into Whitewater. That ended with Lewinsky, blowjobs and perjury.

So, you must have disagreed with that and that the evidence uncovered should have been ignored. His perjury should have been ignored. His impeachment not carried out.

Correct?
[Reply]
patteeu 04:42 PM 02-09-2019
Originally Posted by Donger:
IIRC, Starr had a similar task as Mueller. That he should investigate other matters that arose during his investigation into Whitewater. That ended with Lewinsky, blowjobs and perjury.

So, you must have disagreed with that and that the evidence uncovered should have been ignored. His perjury should have been ignored. His impeachment not carried out.

Correct?
Starr wasnít running a counterintelligence investigation.
[Reply]
Donger 04:43 PM 02-09-2019
Originally Posted by patteeu:
You think divisiveness justifies a wide ranging fishing expedition into the name callerís past?
His appointment letter justifies investigating other matters that arise during the curse of his investigation, yes. Should that task be in his appointment letter? My opinion is that it shouldn't be, but it is.

So, I don't think that Mueller should ignore those other matters when/if found.
[Reply]
Donger 04:45 PM 02-09-2019
Originally Posted by patteeu:
Starr wasnít running a counterintelligence investigation.
True, he was running an investigation into shady real estate deals. And ended up with perjury (a process crime).

You really think that makes a significant distinction?
[Reply]
Bowser 04:45 PM 02-09-2019
Originally Posted by RodeoPants2:
Hang on to your knickers, Sally....I'm going to hit you with some knowledge!

Since 1910, at sitting POTUS has retained his party's control over both the House and the Senate a grand total of 11 times, 8 of those happening for the Dems.

America spoke loudly. Ok, sucker. Tell us more bedtime stories, lol.
[Reply]
patteeu 04:46 PM 02-09-2019
Originally Posted by Donger:
His appointment letter justifies investigating other matters that arise during the curse of his investigation, yes. Should that task be in his appointment letter? My opinion is that it shouldn't be, but it is.

So, I don't think that Mueller should ignore those other matters when/if found.
Iím not at all interested in the appointment letter.
[Reply]
Reerun_KC 04:47 PM 02-09-2019
Originally Posted by RodeoPants2:
I'm an American
:-)
[Reply]
Page 9 of 14
« First < 56789 10111213 > Last »
Up