ChiefsPlanet Mobile
Page 8 of 14
« First < 45678 9101112 > Last »
Washington DC and The Holy Land>Adam Schiff announces sweeping investigation into Trump's finances and Russia
Taco John 08:44 PM 02-08-2019




(CNN)House Intelligence Committee Chairman Adam Schiff announced Wednesday a broad investigation his committee would undertake "beyond Russia" into whether President Donald Trump's financial interests are driving his actions.

Schiff said the investigation would "allow us to investigate any credible allegation that financial interests or other interests are driving decision-making of the President or anyone in the administration."

"That pertains to any credible allegations of leverage by the Russians or the Saudis or anyone else," Schiff told reporters after the House Intelligence Committee's first meeting in the new Congress.

In a statement, Schiff said the investigation would include a continued probe into Russia's actions during the 2016 election and contacts between the Russia and Trump's team, as well as an examination of "whether any foreign actor has sought to compromise or holds leverage, financial or otherwise, over Donald Trump, his family, his business, or his associates."

Schiff said the investigation, which could involve additional congressional committees, would also look at whether Trump or his associates have "sought to influence US government policy in service of foreign interests" and any potential obstruction into the various investigations.

Schiff's announcement is the most detailed look yet into how congressional Democrats will investigate Trump's finances and possible ties to foreign entities, and how Democrats are sure to continue probing Trump and his team well after special counsel Robert Mueller's investigation had concluded.
Trump reacted Wednesday to Schiff's announcement by slamming the California Democrat and saying Schiff has "no basis to do that."

"He's just a political hack trying to build a name for himself," Trump said in the Roosevelt Room Wednesday after announcing his new nominee to be World Bank president. "It's called presidential harassment and it is unfortunate."

Trump's comments followed his State of the Union speech Tuesday in which he warned Democrats against undertaking "ridiculous partisan investigations."

Schiff responded to Trump's attack on Twitter, saying: "We're going to do our job and won't be distracted or intimidated by threats or attacks.

https://www.cnn.com/2019/02/06/polit...m_source=twCNN
[Reply]
RodeoPants2 04:04 PM 02-09-2019
Originally Posted by vailpass:
What country are you from?
I'm an American
[Reply]
IowaHawkeyeChief 04:05 PM 02-09-2019
Originally Posted by Donger:
So if they came across evidence that he has committed tax fraud (for example), do nothing? That's actually your position? No referring it to some other prosecuter?
Is their evidence that Mueller has found any evidence of which you speak that would warrant an investigation that required his tax returns?
[Reply]
vailpass 04:06 PM 02-09-2019
Originally Posted by RodeoPants2:
I'm an American
A North American?
Were you born in the US?
[Reply]
Donger 04:06 PM 02-09-2019
Originally Posted by IowaHawkeyeChief:
Is their evidence that Mueller has found any evidence of which you speak that would warrant an investigation that required his tax returns?
Not of which I'm aware. Why?
[Reply]
patteeu 04:08 PM 02-09-2019
Originally Posted by Donger:
So if they came across evidence that he has committed tax fraud (for example), do nothing? That's actually your position? No referring it to some other prosecuter?
Unless the tax fraud has something to do with a scheme involving Russian collusion, thatís my actual position.

Do we want to have bipartisan support for investigations like this or do we want highly partisan fights over what should be a united effort to understand what the Russians did and how to prevent it in the future. You would (unintentionally, Iím sure) raise the stakes of these investigations with these distractions and pit American against American. Thatís what has happened here. The Russians have got to be thrilled with the way things have developed.
[Reply]
RodeoPants2 04:10 PM 02-09-2019
Originally Posted by patteeu:
Unless the tax fraud has something to do with a scheme involving Russian collusion, thatís my actual position.

Do we want to have bipartisan support for investigations like this or do we want highly partisan fights over what should be a united effort to understand what the Russians did and how to prevent it in the future. You would (unintentionally, Iím sure) raise the stakes of these investigations with these distractions and pit American against American. Thatís what has happened here. The Russians have got to be thrilled with the way things have developed.
Oh I forgot the two most important examples. You think benghazi was a legit investigation 4 years later, and you think an investigation into trump's finances is a baseless witch hunt - did you see the NYT report?
[Reply]
Donger 04:12 PM 02-09-2019
Originally Posted by patteeu:
Unless the tax fraud has something to do with a scheme involving Russian collusion, thatís my actual position.

Do we want to have bipartisan support for investigations like this or do we want highly partisan fights over what should be a united effort to understand what the Russians did and how to prevent it in the future. You would (unintentionally, Iím sure) raise the stakes of these investigations with these distractions and pit American against American. Thatís what has happened here. The Russians have got to be thrilled with the way things have developed.
Okay. And you wouldn't be okay with Mueller handing it off to some other prosecutor?

I would be.
[Reply]
Donger 04:14 PM 02-09-2019
Originally Posted by patteeu:
Unless the tax fraud has something to do with a scheme involving Russian collusion, thatís my actual position.

Do we want to have bipartisan support for investigations like this or do we want highly partisan fights over what should be a united effort to understand what the Russians did and how to prevent it in the future. You would (unintentionally, Iím sure) raise the stakes of these investigations with these distractions and pit American against American. Thatís what has happened here. The Russians have got to be thrilled with the way things have developed.
When you have POTUS declaring all negative stories about him to be FAKE NEWS and that the press is the enemy of the people, I'd say that that is much more of what the Russians want, on a much grander and damaging stage and much greater importance.

Perhaps that's why Putin wanted him to win.
[Reply]
IowaHawkeyeChief 04:15 PM 02-09-2019
Originally Posted by Donger:
Not of which I'm aware. Why?
So you think they should investigate Trump's returns without any evidence of a crime? Again, in America, do we investigate crimes, or individuals?
[Reply]
Donger 04:18 PM 02-09-2019
Originally Posted by IowaHawkeyeChief:
So you think they should investigate Trump's returns without any evidence of a crime? Again, in America, do we investigate crimes, or individuals?
This is a congressional investigation. They don't need evidence of a crime, to the best of my knowledge. Suspicion seems to be the bar.
[Reply]
Bowser 04:21 PM 02-09-2019
Originally Posted by RodeoPants2:
Good. The American people spoke loudly in the midterms, handing the democrats a 40 seat victory in the house. This is the kind of they we expected them to do.
Your opinion is weak. If America had been truly fed up with Trump and wanted to "speak loudly" about it, the Dems would have blown the Pubs out in both the House and the Senate, not just picked up 40 seats in the House. As it stands, this midterm went about as expected in regards to party lines. Maybe even with the Dems doing a little more poorly than expected, honestly.
[Reply]
patteeu 04:25 PM 02-09-2019
Originally Posted by RodeoPants2:
You try to come off a reasonable guy just asking questions. But then once and a while we see how purely partisan you are. For example, when you say that we should ignore crimes committed by the president of the united states and his team, just because they aren't related to crimes involving Russia.

Or when you said there was a 0.1% chance that Creepy Kavanaugh committed sexual assault despite the victim stepping up and testifying under oath.

I'm sure you also think Hillary Clinton is the REAL CRIMINAL, just like all the other slapdicks around here.
I am both a reasonable guy and highly partisan. I think I’ve been pretty transparent about that over the years.

Yes, I think Hillary is a criminal, but she’s not the only criminal.
[Reply]
IowaHawkeyeChief 04:26 PM 02-09-2019
Originally Posted by Donger:
This is a congressional investigation. They don't need evidence of a crime, to the best of my knowledge. Suspicion seems to be the bar.
Do you think SCOTUS would support the subpoena of his Tax returns without evidence of any potential crime?
[Reply]
patteeu 04:28 PM 02-09-2019
Originally Posted by Donger:
Okay. And you wouldn't be okay with Mueller handing it off to some other prosecutor?

I would be.
Handing it off is just another way of getting around the normal restrictions so I would not be. The counterintelligence investigation should be about national security, not about domestic law enforcement.
[Reply]
patteeu 04:30 PM 02-09-2019
Originally Posted by Donger:
When you have POTUS declaring all negative stories about him to be FAKE NEWS and that the press is the enemy of the people, I'd say that that is much more of what the Russians want, on a much grander and damaging stage and much greater importance.

Perhaps that's why Putin wanted him to win.
You think name calling justifies a wide ranging fishing expedition into the name callerís past? I donít.
[Reply]
Page 8 of 14
« First < 45678 9101112 > Last »
Up