ChiefsPlanet Mobile
Page 5 of 43
< 12345 678915 > Last »
Washington DC and The Holy Land>Ralph Northam yearbook page shows men in blackface and KKK robe
Stinger 03:48 PM 02-01-2019
By Marie Albiges and Gordon Rago
Staff writers

NORFOLK

A photo from Gov. Ralph Northam’s medical school yearbook shows two men, one in blackface and one in a Ku Klux Klan robe and hood, on the same page as the governor.

The photo, which The Virginian-Pilot obtained a copy of Friday from the Eastern Virginia Medical School library, comes from the 1984 yearbook, the year Northam graduated.

On the half-page set aside for Northam, there is a headshot of him in a jacket and tie, a photo of him in a cowboy hat and boots and a third of him sitting casually on the ground, leaning against a convertible.

The fourth photo on the half-page has two people, one wearing white Ku Klux Klan robes and a hood, the other with his face painted black. The person with the black face is also wearing a white hat, black jacket, white shirt with a bow tie and plaid pants. Both are holding canned drinks.

It’s unclear who the people in costume are.

The governor’s office did not immediately respond to requests for comment Friday afternoon.

Under the photo of the men in blackface and the Klan hood are listed Northam’s alma mater, Virginia Military Institute, and his interest: “Pediatrics.” His quote is listed as “There are more old drunks than old doctors in this world so I think I’ll have another beer.”

The photo came to light after a week in which the Democratic governor came under fire for his comments about a bill introduced by a first-term Democratic lawmaker that would have loosened restriction abortions in Virginia.

Conservative news outlet Big League Politics first posted the photo at around 2:15 p.m. Friday with the headline “YEARBOOK: Ralph Northam In Blackface & KKK Photo”.

About an hour later, the Virginia GOP caucus Twitter page tweeted, “@governorva needs to explain this immediately.”

Northam’s comments earlier this week were on a bill that would have loosened restrictions in third-trimester abortions. State law says they are legal — and it doesn’t specify up to what point in the third trimester a woman can have an abortion — but Del. Kathy Tran’s bill would reduce the number of physicians that need to sign off on abortions from three to one.

It would also change the standard for having a third-trimester abortion — from a physician declaring that continuing the pregnancy would result in death and “substantially and irremediably impair the mental or physical health of the woman” to just “impair” a woman’s mental or physical health.

The bill, which Democrats have tried to pass in the General Assembly in recent years, was killed in a subcommittee.

On a radio show, Northam — a child neurologist — defended Tran’s bill, saying it was “blown out of proportion.”

“When we talk about third trimester abortions, these are done with the consent of obviously the mother with the consent of the physicians — more than one physician, by the way — and it’s done in cases where there may be severe deformities, there may be a fetus that is nonviable,” he said.

Explaining what would happen in such a case, Northam made comments that were soon seized on by political opponents and others: “The infant would be delivered, the infant would be kept comfortable, the infant would be resuscitated if that’s what the mother and the family desired, and then a discussion would ensue between the physicians and the mother.”

https://pilotonline.com/news/governm...d70e09b50.html
[Reply]
NinerDoug 05:23 PM 02-01-2019
Remember this?

[Reply]
theoldcoach 05:24 PM 02-01-2019
Who is that?
[Reply]
NinerDoug 05:25 PM 02-01-2019
Originally Posted by theoldcoach:
Who is that?
Ted Danson, at the Friars Club roast of his then girlfriend, Whoopi Goldberg.

Didn't go over well.
[Reply]
GloryDayz 05:26 PM 02-01-2019
A Democrat who's also a racist, SHOCKING? NOT, he's just part of the 99% of racist Dems!
[Reply]
theoldcoach 05:26 PM 02-01-2019
I would guess that it probably would not.
[Reply]
BDj23 05:45 PM 02-01-2019
Originally Posted by IowaHawkeyeChief:
I'm not a fan of the baby killer, but this shouldn't be a negative towards him. Black face in the early 80's wasn't taboo. I went dressed as Buckwheat in the 80's to high school for TV character day during homecoming week. I used charcoal and it was funny as Eddie Murphy was doing him on SNL regularly at the time.
You should have your life ruined
[Reply]
BDj23 05:47 PM 02-01-2019
Who tf is emjoiman? DayeMania? He is on my ignore list but I must have missed his name swap.
[Reply]
Discuss Thrower 05:49 PM 02-01-2019
Ooooooooooooooooooooof

Another yearbook photo from Northam’s VMI days identifies him by the nickname “Coonman.” pic.twitter.com/puCmgPMegC

— Mark Robinson (@__MarkRobinson) February 1, 2019

[Reply]
Bump 05:49 PM 02-01-2019
Originally Posted by BDj23:
Who tf is emjoiman? DayeMania? He is on my ignore list but I must have missed his name swap.
ya, he's always trying to give the impression that he's laughing hysterically at every little thing. I think he might be a bit mental.
[Reply]
Randallflagg 05:50 PM 02-01-2019
Originally Posted by Easy 6:
HAHAHAAA and here we go, let the fake outrage begin!

:-) :-) :-)
[Reply]
Taco John 05:58 PM 02-01-2019

Breaking: Virginia Gov. Ralph Northam on Friday apologized after admitting he is one of two people in a decades-old yearbook photo wearing blackface and Klu Klux Klan robes during his time in medical school https://t.co/vgcE01DxdY

— POLITICO (@politico) February 1, 2019

[Reply]
Prison Bitch 05:59 PM 02-01-2019
Originally Posted by NinerDoug:
Remember this?

Is that Seinfeld?
[Reply]
LiveSteam 06:02 PM 02-01-2019
Why should I care?
[Reply]
NinerDoug 06:03 PM 02-01-2019
Originally Posted by Prison Bitch:
Is that Seinfeld?
Ted Danson. He got quite a bit of shit over it.

I guess he figured since his girlfriend was black...
[Reply]
Taco John 06:05 PM 02-01-2019
Originally Posted by Prison Bitch:
Is that Seinfeld?
Danson
[Reply]
Page 5 of 43
< 12345 678915 > Last »
Up