ChiefsPlanet Mobile
Page 41 of 43
« First < 313738394041 4243 >
Washington DC and The Holy Land>Ralph Northam yearbook page shows men in blackface and KKK robe
Stinger 03:48 PM 02-01-2019
By Marie Albiges and Gordon Rago
Staff writers

NORFOLK

A photo from Gov. Ralph Northam’s medical school yearbook shows two men, one in blackface and one in a Ku Klux Klan robe and hood, on the same page as the governor.

The photo, which The Virginian-Pilot obtained a copy of Friday from the Eastern Virginia Medical School library, comes from the 1984 yearbook, the year Northam graduated.

On the half-page set aside for Northam, there is a headshot of him in a jacket and tie, a photo of him in a cowboy hat and boots and a third of him sitting casually on the ground, leaning against a convertible.

The fourth photo on the half-page has two people, one wearing white Ku Klux Klan robes and a hood, the other with his face painted black. The person with the black face is also wearing a white hat, black jacket, white shirt with a bow tie and plaid pants. Both are holding canned drinks.

It’s unclear who the people in costume are.

The governor’s office did not immediately respond to requests for comment Friday afternoon.

Under the photo of the men in blackface and the Klan hood are listed Northam’s alma mater, Virginia Military Institute, and his interest: “Pediatrics.” His quote is listed as “There are more old drunks than old doctors in this world so I think I’ll have another beer.”

The photo came to light after a week in which the Democratic governor came under fire for his comments about a bill introduced by a first-term Democratic lawmaker that would have loosened restriction abortions in Virginia.

Conservative news outlet Big League Politics first posted the photo at around 2:15 p.m. Friday with the headline “YEARBOOK: Ralph Northam In Blackface & KKK Photo”.

About an hour later, the Virginia GOP caucus Twitter page tweeted, “@governorva needs to explain this immediately.”

Northam’s comments earlier this week were on a bill that would have loosened restrictions in third-trimester abortions. State law says they are legal — and it doesn’t specify up to what point in the third trimester a woman can have an abortion — but Del. Kathy Tran’s bill would reduce the number of physicians that need to sign off on abortions from three to one.

It would also change the standard for having a third-trimester abortion — from a physician declaring that continuing the pregnancy would result in death and “substantially and irremediably impair the mental or physical health of the woman” to just “impair” a woman’s mental or physical health.

The bill, which Democrats have tried to pass in the General Assembly in recent years, was killed in a subcommittee.

On a radio show, Northam — a child neurologist — defended Tran’s bill, saying it was “blown out of proportion.”

“When we talk about third trimester abortions, these are done with the consent of obviously the mother with the consent of the physicians — more than one physician, by the way — and it’s done in cases where there may be severe deformities, there may be a fetus that is nonviable,” he said.

Explaining what would happen in such a case, Northam made comments that were soon seized on by political opponents and others: “The infant would be delivered, the infant would be kept comfortable, the infant would be resuscitated if that’s what the mother and the family desired, and then a discussion would ensue between the physicians and the mother.”

https://pilotonline.com/news/governm...d70e09b50.html
[Reply]
NinerDoug 01:17 PM 02-11-2019
Originally Posted by Marcellus:
Exactly he should resign over his support of infanticide.
Except, that's just some bullshit you made up, which you know is bullshit. Saying it over and over isn't going to make it become real.

Perhaps you can explain his reference to "resuscitation, if the parents had requested it." Doesn't sound like any abortion I've ever heard of.

"So, you understand you're hear today for an abortion?"

"Yes."

"Would you like us to resuscitate the aborted fetus if it's not breathing?"

He did not mean what you want him to have meant.
[Reply]
RodeoPants2 01:17 PM 02-11-2019
Originally Posted by IowaHawkeyeChief:
It was a little more complicated than that...however, the right side won.

So, are we better to erase and eradicate that from history, or would it be better to put a plaque at the monument that talks about slavery and denounces the South and helps educate instead of scrubbing from the minds of our citizens?

Who said anything about eradicating the civil war from history
[Reply]
Marcellus 01:23 PM 02-11-2019
Originally Posted by NinerDoug:
Except, that's just some bullshit you made up, which you know is bullshit. Saying it over and over isn't going to make it become real.

Perhaps you can explain his reference to "resuscitation, if the parents had requested it." Doesn't sound like any abortion I've ever heard of.

"So, you understand you're hear today for an abortion?"

"Yes."

"Would you like us to resuscitate the aborted fetus if it's not breathing?"

He did not mean what you want him to have meant.
No it's just that I can actually understand what was proposed and what he said and don't live in denial like you do Doug.
[Reply]
NinerDoug 01:30 PM 02-11-2019
No it's just that I can actually understand what was proposed and what he said and don't live in denial like you do Doug.
If he was talking about an abortion, why would he talk about resuscitation, if it was requested by the parents?

That's a gaping hole in your theory. Such a big hole that it pretty much erases the entire theory.

So, what was the talk about resuscitation about? Please explain.
[Reply]
GloryDayz 01:54 PM 02-11-2019
Originally Posted by patteeu:
Since a majority of Virginian blacks don’t think Gov. Northam should resign, can we conclude that blackface isn’t so bad after all, at least when it’s decades old?
No, no we can't. At least not until we've used it to get rid of all the liberal assholes in high places who might have done it.

So phase two of this should be undocumented and unprovable "wild" accusations of liberals having done it in the past, accused by women (so we can test the "believe broads" theory while we're fixing things), as soon as possible.
[Reply]
scho63 02:17 PM 02-11-2019
For the next big Congressional gathering, half the Republicans should show up in blackface and the other half in white hoods and robes and just say they are following the lead of the Virginia Democrats.
[Reply]
NinerDoug 02:18 PM 02-11-2019
Originally Posted by scho63:
For the next big Congressional gathering, half the Republicans should show up in blackface and the other half in white hoods and robes and just say they are following the lead of the Virginia Democrats.
:-)
[Reply]
Randallflagg 02:42 PM 02-11-2019
1. A 1980s year book sitting in someone's closet or garage for decades doesn't have a lot in common with statutes in public places.

2. Those confederate generals were Dems, not Pubs. :-)

(1) I don't give a damn WHAT their "affiliation" was....attempting to erase our history is so....Farenheit 451.....don't you think? That's the beauty of a place like Oswiecim, Poland. I've been there - 2 times - and it chilled me to the bone each time I have been. And, it always serves to remind me that "Those who forget their past are condemned to repeat it". Or that's what they said about Auschwitz.

(2) Do you suppose that someone went into Northam's closet or garage to retrieve said year book?
[Reply]
IowaHawkeyeChief 02:47 PM 02-11-2019
Originally Posted by RodeoPants2:
Who said anything about eradicating the civil war from history
Hey Dolt~ Would it create more awareness to keep the statues and have a plaque that talks about slavery and what the civil war was about? Shoot, even put information that says they were once viewed as hero's but are now disgraced. Removing them for symbolism is destroying an opportunity to inform.
[Reply]
Marcellus 02:47 PM 02-11-2019
If he was talking about an abortion, why would he talk about resuscitation, if it was requested by the parents?

That's a gaping hole in your theory. Such a big hole that it pretty much erases the entire theory.

So, what was the talk about resuscitation about? Please explain.
The exact topic they were discussing was partial birth abortion. It's not my fault you cant figure that out. I get it, you don't want your party to be associated with that heinous of a thing but it is what it is, your denials dont change it.

Your party owns this shit.
[Reply]
NinerDoug 02:54 PM 02-11-2019
Originally Posted by Randallflagg:
(1) I don't give a damn WHAT their "affiliation" was....attempting to erase our history is so....Farenheit 451.....don't you think? That's the beauty of a place like Oswiecim, Poland. I've been there - 2 times - and it chilled me to the bone each time I have been. And, it always serves to remind me that "Those who forget their past are condemned to repeat it". Or that's what they said about Auschwitz.
Do you believe that Confederate general statues are intended to serve the same purpose as leaving the concentration camps intact and letting them serve as memorials to the people who were victimized?

Originally Posted by :
(2) Do you suppose that someone went into Northam's closet or garage to retrieve said year book?
No, I would imagine a classmate of his went into his or her own closet or garage and retrieved it from there. That, or some enterprising young journalist dug it up.
[Reply]
NinerDoug 02:57 PM 02-11-2019
The exact topic they were discussing was partial birth abortion. It's not my fault you cant figure that out. I get it, you don't want your party to be associated with that heinous of a thing but it is what it is, your denials dont change it.

Your party owns this shit.
If he was talking about a partial birth abortion, why would he say the infant would be resuscitated, if that was what the parents had requested?

Why would a woman having an abortion, before the procedure, request resuscitation of the aborted fetus?
[Reply]
cosmo20002 03:04 PM 02-11-2019
Originally Posted by Randallflagg:

So in Oswiecim I would find statues honoring Hitler and other enemies?
[Reply]
Marcellus 03:05 PM 02-11-2019
If he was talking about a partial birth abortion, why would he say the infant would be resuscitated, if that was what the parents had requested?

Why would a woman having an abortion, before the procedure, request resuscitation of the aborted fetus?
You need to ask him Doug, but that was undeniably the topic. You know this and you are simply making excuses.
[Reply]
Randallflagg 03:07 PM 02-11-2019
Originally Posted by cosmo20002:
So in Oswiecim I would find statues honoring Hitler and other enemies?

Jesus Christ - you are a friggin idiot.....you are aware of that, aren't you? :-)
[Reply]
Page 41 of 43
« First < 313738394041 4243 >
Up