ChiefsPlanet Mobile
Page 325 of 3903
« First < 225275315321322323324325 3263273283293353754258251325 > Last »
Nzoner's Game Room>***NON-POLITICAL COVID-19 Discussion Thread***
JakeF 10:28 PM 02-26-2020
A couple of reminders...

Originally Posted by Bwana:
Once again, don't come in this thread with some kind of political agenda, or you will be shown the door. If you want to go that route, there is a thread about this in DC.
Originally Posted by Dartgod:
People, there is a lot of good information in this thread, let's try to keep the petty bickering to a minimum.

We all have varying opinions about the impact of this, the numbers, etc. We will all never agree with each other. But we can all keep it civil.

Thanks!

Click here for the original OP:

Spoiler!

[Reply]
DJ's left nut 01:58 PM 03-16-2020
Originally Posted by DaneMcCloud:
I'm watching the press conference Live right now and Fauci basically said to stay inside and avoid contact.

I don't think that any of the recommendations or mandates that have been put in place by state and local governments have overstepped any bounds.

He also said that we're far, far behind "where we think we are" in terms of infection meaning the worst is yet to come.
Of course it is.

That's a reality of something becoming endemic. Again, it's an underlying premise of these curves.

The animations are really what drive these home. The infection rates in the middle of those curves skyrocket, for sure. And then the recovered rates start to tick up slowly...then incredibly quickly. And while that's happening, the eligible carrier population slowly gets siphoned into the infected and recovered population. And all the while you try to stay below your 'critical mass' line so that the outcomes are as strong as possible for those still in the infected group.

Nobody ever suggested things won't get worse - they CLEARLY will. But it's a necessary step. If anyone has ever bought into those curves, they HAVE to accept that line of thinking.

"Things will get worse" in this case is a truism. It's how this was always going to go.
[Reply]
loochy 01:58 PM 03-16-2020
I'm watching the press conference Live right now and Fauci basically said to stay inside and avoid contact.

I don't think that any of the recommendations or mandates that have been put in place by state and local governments have overstepped any bounds.

He also said that we're far, far behind "where we think we are" in terms of infection meaning the worst is yet to come.

Yeah, F that, I'm going outside. WTF difference does it make if I go outside? OH NO, I INFECTED MY DRIVEWAY!
[Reply]
FAX 01:59 PM 03-16-2020
I should like to clarify my position on this subject (since I seem to have pissed some good people off) ...

I am not downplaying the potentially horrific impact of COVID-19.

I am 100% opposed to people getting sick. I'm even more opposed to death. Period. I'm rock solid on that point.

Nonetheless, pragmatism combined with optimism is an effective brew ... especially when combined with a shot of Don Julio 1942.

Some medical professionals say that 1.7 million Americans can die from this. Others are saying that's utter hogwash. Since I don't study viruses for a living I suppose I can either choose a side to believe right now ... or I can continue to educate myself as events unfold. I choose the latter. After all, this is a moving target associated with a lot of variables.

Meanwhile, the majority of physicians are prescribing Basic Common Sense and the beautiful and witty Mrs. FAX and I are following those instructions.

Perhaps a re-calibration of our society was inevitable anyway. Perhaps we'll look back on it as a good thing (after all, radical change seems more difficult as it is happening). On the other hand, it is also possible that the lasting reverberations of a national "shut-down" over COVID-19 will be seen as ultimately and abidingly harmful in significant ways.

As for me, if I'm going to die, I would prefer not to die in a state of jaundiced fear. If conditions improve? Great. If not? Definitely bad. Either way, I encourage everyone to avoid engaging in or encouraging alarmism and panic. That will not help anybody or anything.

After all, whatever sort of post-COVID-19 world we will survive to see is the one we are creating now.

FAX
[Reply]
Hammock Parties 01:59 PM 03-16-2020

[Reply]
BIG_DADDY 01:59 PM 03-16-2020
They are ordering shelter in place for the entire bay area. Fuck Gavin Newsome.
[Reply]
KChiefs1 02:01 PM 03-16-2020
Originally Posted by Hammock Parties:

That’s awesome.
[Reply]
Discuss Thrower 02:01 PM 03-16-2020
Independence Bass Pro's Hunting dept cleared over $100,000 in sales across the past few days.
[Reply]
DaneMcCloud 02:02 PM 03-16-2020
Originally Posted by loochy:
Yeah, F that, I'm going outside. WTF difference does it make if I go outside? OH NO, I INFECTED MY DRIVEWAY!
Oh yeah, I'm going "outside" and I'm going to Lake Hollywood to run and bike because I'm not putting myself in contact with anyone else.

But I do agree that if the goal is to limit the spread of disease, gyms, restaurants, etc. are a no-no.
[Reply]
displacedinMN 02:02 PM 03-16-2020
This is all unreal.
[Reply]
BIG_DADDY 02:04 PM 03-16-2020
Oh yeah, I'm going "outside" and I'm going to Lake Hollywood to run and bike because I'm not putting myself in contact with anyone else.

But I do agree that if the goal is to limit the spread of disease, gyms, restaurants, etc. are a no-no.
If I'm fucked you will be too.
[Reply]
neech 02:04 PM 03-16-2020
Originally Posted by Hammock Parties:
The unknown comic is alive and well.
[Reply]
KChiefs1 02:05 PM 03-16-2020
Dow:

Down 2998.87 12.93%
[Reply]
eDave 02:05 PM 03-16-2020
Originally Posted by KChiefs1:
That’s awesome.
People seemed in a good mood at the grocery store this morning. Lot's of joking around about the whole thing.
[Reply]
PAChiefsGuy 02:08 PM 03-16-2020
Originally Posted by displacedinMN:
This is all unreal.
It's like a fucking movie
[Reply]
KChiefs1 02:09 PM 03-16-2020
Originally Posted by eDave:
People seemed in a good mood at the grocery store this morning. Lot's of joking around about the whole thing.

I haven’t ran into one chicken little yet when I’ve been out & about, but they are all probably at home under their beds anyway.
[Reply]
Page 325 of 3903
« First < 225275315321322323324325 3263273283293353754258251325 > Last »
Up