ChiefsPlanet Mobile
Page 40 of 40
« First < 303637383940
Media Center>Science Fiction and Fantasy Books Only Thread
Buck 07:05 PM 03-20-2012
There is a great thread in the lounge about Books in general, but to be honest, all I really want to read is Sci-Fi (including post-apocalyptic), and Fantasy.

In this OP I will compile every poster's top 3 Fantasy/SciFi suggestions if they give me them. I will try to keep the posters in alphabetical order in case you want to find someone's suggestions easier.

CP POSTER SUGGESTIONS

Baby Lee
1. Fritz Lieber's Swords Against series.
2. George R.R. Martin's SoIaF series [no brainer that will probably make tons of other lists]
3. Umberto Eco, Foucalt's Pendulum [a little more obscure/forgotten to make up for GRRM]

Frosty
1.Raymond Feist - Riftwar Saga
2.Terry Brooks - Shannara series (starting with the Knight of the Word books)
3.Tad Williams - Memory, Sorrow and Thorn

Huffmeister
(1) Dune - Frank Herbert
(2) The Stand - Stephen King (1000+ page unabridged)
(3) Starship Troopers - Robert A. Heinlein (checkout the song by Yes, too. lots of great bass)

Jawshco
1. "Book of the Long Sun" by Gene Wolfe
2. "Paradise War" by Stephen R Lawhead
3. "The Dragonbone Chair" by Tad Williams

listopencil
1. Edgar Rice Burroughs, any series
2. Robert Heinlein, everything he has written in chronological order (but read Starship Troopers first)
3. Doc Smith's Lensman series

vailpass
1. The Science Fiction Hall of Fame Volume 1, 2A & 2B books are a gold mine for sampling the evolution of sci-fi. (below)
2.The Nebula Awards and Hugo Awards (selected yearly, pick a year)
3. Years Best SF Annual publication, pick any volume from 1 to the current volume 17
See Post 142
[Reply]
ShiftyEyedWaterboy 10:41 AM 03-14-2019
Originally Posted by Indian Chief:
Reading Toll the Hounds now. I skipped some of the posts above because it looked like some plot discussion and I'm only a couple hundred pages in.

Non-spoiler reflection on the series though. I love the world, the characters, the story, the writing, pretty much everything but having characters and groups disappear for entire books, maybe even two really breaks my flow. The last half of Reaper's Gale went quickly and then I hit a wall at the start of Toll the Hounds.
That irritates me a little, too. I normally get back into things fairly quickly, though.
[Reply]
vailpass 11:48 AM 03-14-2019
Originally Posted by Indian Chief:
Reading Toll the Hounds now. I skipped some of the posts above because it looked like some plot discussion and I'm only a couple hundred pages in.

Non-spoiler reflection on the series though. I love the world, the characters, the story, the writing, pretty much everything but having characters and groups disappear for entire books, maybe even two really breaks my flow. The last half of Reaper's Gale went quickly and then I hit a wall at the start of Toll the Hounds.
Agree with most of what you say here. Character tracking is the one issue I have with this series and for me it's due to several factors.
-The sheer number of characters both central and non-central to the story
-Unconventional naming makes those names unrecognizable and hard to tie to a character as they are also not gender-indicative
-(As mentioned) characters dropping in and out of timeline

The Song of Ice and Fire books also have multiple characters but it is much easier to track and recognize them thus keeping the flow smooth. Conventional names and affiliation with Houses is a big part of that but RR Martin just does a much better job in that regard IMHO.
[Reply]
Indian Chief 09:57 PM 03-14-2019
I think Martin kills so many people it's easier to manage what's left.

I'm half joking.
[Reply]
Bowser 05:20 PM 03-15-2019
I'm reading A Big Ship at the Edge of the Universe by Alex White. It's different, but I'm enjoying it two thirds of the way through. First part of a trilogy and I'm certain I'll read the other two.
[Reply]
Page 40 of 40
« First < 303637383940
Up