ChiefsPlanet Mobile
Page 1704 of 3903
« First < 704120416041654169417001701170217031704 170517061707170817141754180422042704 > Last »
Nzoner's Game Room>***NON-POLITICAL COVID-19 Discussion Thread***
JakeF 10:28 PM 02-26-2020
A couple of reminders...

Originally Posted by Bwana:
Once again, don't come in this thread with some kind of political agenda, or you will be shown the door. If you want to go that route, there is a thread about this in DC.
Originally Posted by Dartgod:
People, there is a lot of good information in this thread, let's try to keep the petty bickering to a minimum.

We all have varying opinions about the impact of this, the numbers, etc. We will all never agree with each other. But we can all keep it civil.

Thanks!

Click here for the original OP:

Spoiler!

[Reply]
banyon 09:13 AM 04-29-2020
Originally Posted by IowaHawkeyeChief:
'

Again from the study:

Those under 70 and no underlying health conditions would be several folds lower... get it.

Serious question, you really think we have only had 4.4 million infected in the US right now?

Death by age for NYC and Italy...

https://www.statista.com/statistics/...new-york-city/

https://www.statista.com/statistics/...gion-in-italy/
Until you stop, read, and think about my post, this isn't going to work.

Again, for the 3rd TIME:

Originally Posted by banyon:
As of April 14 (because the CDC data lags) deaths under 65 were 6,501, the case count for under 65 as of April 14 was 621,953

https://www.cdc.gov/nchs/nvss/vsrr/covid19/index.htm

https://www.worldometers.info/coronavirus/country/us/

About 29% of COVID cases are over 65, so I adjusted the worldometer number by that. so 621,953x.29= 441,587

That gives us current CFR of .026% for flu under 65 y/o in 17-18' and current CFR of 1.47% for COVID 19 under 65 to date.
Also:

Originally Posted by :
On the second point Of course it adds up we’ve had severe lockdown measures to reduce the r0 below its natural infectivity. As I explained the first time (you apparently didn’t read it closely) I used the figure 4.4 million as of April 14. It is two weeks old. It would be higher today
Now what I used were the official numbers from CDC. The adjustments I made were explained 3 times.

If your point is "well the official number is off" then You tell me what denominator you want to use. BUT, you should also adjust the numerator, as we know the deaths are an undercount as well by up to 20-30%, plus they are lagged by two weeks.

Again, YOU made this claim that FLU deaths were higher for under 65 y/o's than COVID19. I am attempting to do the math on your claim for you. You haven't provided anything other than some generic hand waving at some links that you didn't actually run the numerical comparison on.

The links you provide here are just again generic hand waving. They DO NOT include flu deaths by age group. They are also expressed as per 100k rather than as a percentage.

But BASED on your own link you just provided, the deaths would be 128.84 (45-64 y/o) plus 14.3 (18-44) plus 0.0 (0-17)= 143.14 per 300k (the three groups added together). So divide 143.14/300000= .047%

.047 percent there is the mortality rate for the ENTIRE population of NY City of under 65 year olds, whether they are infected or not. And even that number is DOUBLE the flu number.

Let's face it, your idea that the flu is more deadly for under 65 was not well thought out. It's ok. Everyone makes mistakes.
[Reply]
BleedingRed 09:16 AM 04-29-2020
Originally Posted by Mecca:
Yes that made me laugh when I read it....
that post is CRINGE and if you laughed at it.........
[Reply]
Rausch 09:19 AM 04-29-2020
Originally Posted by Mecca:
Brad doesn't want people to starve due to unemployment and foot shortages because you're afraid.

A depression will lead to poverty. Poverty will lead to crime, disease, and death.

A depression (possibly world depression) is more deadly than covid...
[Reply]
DaFace 09:20 AM 04-29-2020
Originally Posted by Donger:
I think more than 58.220 Americans were killed in Vietnam.
I get the joke, but more than that, does the usage of the "." instead of "," there imply that that was a non-American who wrote that? Seems super strange.
[Reply]
Rausch 09:21 AM 04-29-2020
Originally Posted by DaFace:
I get the joke, but more than that, does the usage of the "." instead of "," there imply that that was a non-American who wrote that? Seems super strange.
Seems like you nailed it.
[Reply]
banyon 09:22 AM 04-29-2020
Originally Posted by Rausch:
Brad doesn't want people to starve due to unemployment and foot shortages because you're afraid.

A depression will lead to poverty. Poverty will lead to crime, disease, and death.

A depression (possibly world depression) is more deadly than covid...
There is also the thought that if we reopen too quickly, or hastily without enough safeguards, that we will see a new spike and that will force everyone even further into their shells and delay a productive reopening even longer.
[Reply]
Donger 09:22 AM 04-29-2020
No, I think it's just a mistake.
[Reply]
PAChiefsGuy 09:23 AM 04-29-2020
There is also the thought that if we reopen too quickly, or hastily without enough safeguards, that we will see a new spike and that will force everyone even further into their shells and delay a productive reopening even longer.
Exactly there needs to be a middle ground and I think that's what our politicians are striving for.
[Reply]
BleedingRed 09:26 AM 04-29-2020
Originally Posted by PAChiefsGuy:
Exactly there needs to be a middle ground and I think that's what our politicians are striving for.
you would be wrong considering they are not coming back this week for anything.
[Reply]
limested 09:26 AM 04-29-2020
Originally Posted by PAChiefsGuy:
Exactly there needs to be a middle ground and I think that's what some of our politicians are striving for.
Fixed post. :-)
[Reply]
Bearcat 09:27 AM 04-29-2020
Or an American douche who studied abroad for a semester and now inserts little bits of another culture into things they say because they're super hip and obnoxious like that.
[Reply]
SAUTO 09:31 AM 04-29-2020
Originally Posted by IowaHawkeyeChief:
Michigan for one, probably the strictest. I don't think beaches are open in Southern Florida, NJ and other places. Washington State had closed their hiking trails.
beaches arent putting a boat in a lake by yourself.

which states wont let you boat by yourself?
[Reply]
Rausch 09:32 AM 04-29-2020
If we reopen it's possible it can spread, fill hospitals, and ruin the economy.

If we don't open it will ruin the economy.

If we reopen a percentage of people will get it and will die. If we stay closed a much lower percentage will get it and will die.

In some ways the choice is to pull off the bandage quickly and eat the pain or pull it slowly and handle one plucked hair at a much longer time. This virus will spread throughout the public. Over time we'll all be exposed. There's no avoiding that.

I wonder if we can take a mixed approach. Keep population dense places more locked down and more rural and spread out populations more open.
[Reply]
SAUTO 09:33 AM 04-29-2020
Originally Posted by SAUTO:
beaches arent putting a boat in a lake by yourself.

which states wont let you boat by yourself?
and michigan wouldnt let you on a powered boat (so you didnt have to buy gas im assuming) but you could canoe or kayak.

you're being a little disingenuous here
[Reply]
jerryaldini 09:35 AM 04-29-2020
More good news on remdisivir government study. Helping markets today. The Chinese study was ended early and underpowered.

Regarding deaths and despair from economy versus virus, nobody knows. Harder to estimate than the virus itself. Why in my opinion a balanced, measured approach makes more sense (e.g. Ohio) than what GA is doing, for example

https://www.statnews.com/2020/04/29/...-to-treatment/
[Reply]
Page 1704 of 3903
« First < 704120416041654169417001701170217031704 170517061707170817141754180422042704 > Last »
Up