ChiefsPlanet Mobile
Page 5 of 7
< 12345 67 >
Nzoner's Game Room>Defense is better without Jones?
JakeF 02:06 PM 10-19-2019
Denver's offensive line is weak so all of this is wait and see but we definitely seem to have a more structured Defense without Jones. Jones' talent is undeniable but his play has a serious flaw. He abandons the run to attack the QB.

With Jones gone, we have 2 bigger guys in the middle who play the run 1st. They also protect our linebackers who are freed up to read and attack. With the center of our defense now anchored, the outside guys (clark,ogbah, okafor) can be more aggressive. It also keeps the middle of the field clear for our safeties.

That's what seemed to change for our defense against Denver.

Hitchens played his best game and Ragland showed up like he never has before. Frank Clark was better and Matheiu was more aggressive.

Having DT's that protect your LBs is so important. I would rather have Clark,Okafor and Ogbah getting sacks than Jones.

I think Hitchens and Ragland can even start getting some sacks without guards in their face on every play.

:-)
[Reply]
MrCasual 04:26 AM 10-20-2019
Yes, Chris Jones is terrible and should be sent to the Patriots for a conditional 7th round pick.
[Reply]
tyreekthefreak 04:36 AM 10-20-2019
I'm on the fence regarding Chris Jones but...…..the 19 tackles for loss could be attributed to him blowing his gap assignments and the run to rush the QB...….gets the tackle by chance!

He does seem to get gassed rather easily, IMO...…

Not worth big money....
[Reply]
ChiefsFanatic 04:56 AM 10-20-2019
Originally Posted by Hog's Gone Fishin:
Our Defense didn't all of the sudden get good because Jones is out. Spags put a different plan together because his coaching ass is on the line. Our linebackers never attacked like this before. I just hope this wasn't a fluke!
I said in another thread that watching all of the all-22 film from our other games, there was a huge change in regards to calling stunts, games, and blitzes. We have rarely blitzed this year, and coming into the game I think we were in the bottom 5 in percentage of blitzes ran.

Hitchens said that the same plays were called and the players just changed their mentality, but he had to be protecting Spags, because the play calls were much more aggressive. Maybe that's just because the plan was to collect 20 holding calls on Bowles, or they identified some specific weakness in Denver's offensive line.

But whatever the case, I think we ran more stunts and games in this game than we had all season combined. Rodgers is much more mobile, and much, much, much more talented than Flacco, so we'll see if we stay aggressive, or go back to calling defensive plays like weeks 1-6.

Sent from my GM1915 using Tapatalk
[Reply]
Chargem 05:06 AM 10-20-2019
I'm pretty sure the "Chris Jones is bad against the run" thing is a myth. He's definitely a better pass rusher than a run defender, but he's perfectly adequate against the run.

He is an elite player, and you regularly see him just stall a drive on his own with one big TFL or sack - which is exactly what was missing in the Texans game.

Worst case, Nnadi and Saunders make a better run stuffing duo in the center of the line and you give CJ a breather on 1st downs and keep him fresh to do what he does best on passing downs.

On whether to extend him or not, well that depends on what you could tag and trade him for. If you get a 1st round pick plus another good pick, you have to consider it.
[Reply]
ChiefsFanatic 05:15 AM 10-20-2019
Originally Posted by JakeF:
Very possible

Was it Denver's Oline being shitty?

Was it the Chiefs just deciding to play harder?

Was it better scheme play because Jones wasn't fucking it up?

We'll see.
I don't think Jones freelances like people seem to think. My only issue with Jones is that he sometimes just quits on a play way too often. I have seen him stand and watch a play 6 yards down the field like he was watching a play that was 50 yards down the field. Think of how many times we saw Hali and Houston help gang tackle a running back 15 yards down field, because they were hustling their asses off, and then think about how many times you have seen Chris Jones do that.

I think we played better because we had two true defensive tackles, Saunders and Naadi, playing inside at the defensive tackle position instead of a defensive end, Jones, playing out of position.

When we had a dominant defense in the 90s, we had two huge tackles, Dan Saleumua and Joe Phillips, who occupied both offensive guards and the center, allowing Neil Smith and DT to go one-on-one with the tackles.

Imagine taking Saleaumua out, and replacing him with Smith at defensive tackle. I think we would have been a much different defense.

Jones isn't the outside pass rusher that Smith was, but he is closer to that than he is to being the run stopper that Saleaumua or Phillips was.

Sent from my GM1915 using Tapatalk
[Reply]
RunKC 07:03 AM 10-28-2019
This defense has been significantly better against the run without Jones and Williams in the lineup and I think that says a lot.

At this point I’m thinking the smart play is to trade Jones, try to extend Ogbah at a decent price, use the picks and use leftover cash flow to find a LB in FA.

You’d think this defense would be crippled by Jones departure. The inside guys are actually making him expendable.
[Reply]
Chris Meck 07:09 AM 10-28-2019
Originally Posted by RunKC:
This defense has been significantly better against the run without Jones and Williams in the lineup and I think that says a lot.

At this point I’m thinking the smart play is to trade Jones, try to extend Ogbah at a decent price, use the picks and use leftover cash flow to find a LB in FA.

You’d think this defense would be crippled by Jones departure. The inside guys are actually making him expendable.
Nnadi and Saunders are both playing well, but neither has the pass rush explosiveness of Jones.

I'm not saying we have to pay him, but I am saying we're better when he's available. Between the 3 of them, that's a real nice rotation inside.
[Reply]
treeguy27 07:14 AM 10-28-2019
Originally Posted by Chris Meck:
Nnadi and Saunders are both playing well, but neither has the pass rush explosiveness of Jones.

I'm not saying we have to pay him, but I am saying we're better when he's available. Between the 3 of them, that's a real nice rotation inside.
Agreed, but our sack totals have been higher since Jones has been out. It is probably a product of scheme change, but it shows we could scheme pressure without breaking the bank to keep Jones.
[Reply]
Chris Meck 07:27 AM 10-28-2019
Originally Posted by treeguy27:
Agreed, but our sack totals have been higher since Jones has been out. It is probably a product of scheme change, but it shows we could scheme pressure without breaking the bank to keep Jones.
Yeah, and I'm encouraged about the progression of the defense.

We're getting to the QB because we're blitzing like mad. I like it because it's aggressive, but it'd be nice to not have to do it as much and still get there.

Clark and Jones give you that capability.

Nnadi and at this point in his early career Saunders can get you some effort sacks, but neither is what I'd call 'explosive'.
[Reply]
TomBarndtsTwin 07:54 AM 10-28-2019
The last 2 weeks have shown that you can play solid D without Jones in there and get pressure on the QB. Yeah, you're gonna have to blitz more, but wouldn't most people rather see an aggressive game plan? Supposedly that's why everyone wanted Spags (the exotic blitz packages, mixing it up, etc.).

The gameplan used against Rodgers and GB last night would have beaten Brady and Hoodie in the AFC Title Game last year. Spags needs to file that one away and save it for the Patsies.

I am convinced, after watching the last 2 weeks, there is no way the Chiefs pay Jones close to $20 mil. per after this season. He's gone either via tag and trade or FA and a comp. pick.

Nice knowing you, Chris. Thanks for the couple seasons of performance.
[Reply]
ChiefaRoo 07:55 AM 10-28-2019
Originally Posted by rabblerouser:
Put Jones at end. Clark at LB.

Profit.
Jones should play End.
[Reply]
Rasputin 07:55 AM 10-28-2019
Nah i think he will beast when he comes back his dick will come out of his pants and deep throat a quarterback.
[Reply]
Hammock Parties 07:56 AM 10-28-2019
Originally Posted by rabblerouser:
Put Jones at end. Clark at LB.

Profit.
You are criminally stupid. Clark is not a LB. Jones is not a DE, unless it's in an "elephant" package.
[Reply]
O.city 07:57 AM 10-28-2019
You don’t want to have to continually blitz like that though you’ll get eaten alive

Getting a healthy jones back and hopefully Clark will be big
[Reply]
Kman34 08:01 AM 10-28-2019
Originally Posted by O.city:
You don’t want to have to continually blitz like that though you’ll get eaten alive

Getting a healthy jones back and hopefully Clark will be big
Jones with a blitz could be very affective...
[Reply]
Page 5 of 7
< 12345 67 >
Up