ChiefsPlanet Mobile
Page 3 of 7
< 123 4567 >
Nzoner's Game Room>Defense is better without Jones?
JakeF 02:06 PM 10-19-2019
Denver's offensive line is weak so all of this is wait and see but we definitely seem to have a more structured Defense without Jones. Jones' talent is undeniable but his play has a serious flaw. He abandons the run to attack the QB.

With Jones gone, we have 2 bigger guys in the middle who play the run 1st. They also protect our linebackers who are freed up to read and attack. With the center of our defense now anchored, the outside guys (clark,ogbah, okafor) can be more aggressive. It also keeps the middle of the field clear for our safeties.

That's what seemed to change for our defense against Denver.

Hitchens played his best game and Ragland showed up like he never has before. Frank Clark was better and Matheiu was more aggressive.

Having DT's that protect your LBs is so important. I would rather have Clark,Okafor and Ogbah getting sacks than Jones.

I think Hitchens and Ragland can even start getting some sacks without guards in their face on every play.

:-)
[Reply]
JakeF 04:20 PM 10-19-2019
Originally Posted by pugsnotdrugs19:
The defense was better because they played physical, aggressive, TEAM defense. Every guy busting their ass to do their job. Flacco and Denver didn’t hurt either...

If Jones comes in and does that as well, the defense will be much better as a whole.
Very possible

Was it Denver's Oline being shitty?
Was it the Chiefs just deciding to play harder?
Was it better scheme play because Jones wasn't fucking it up?

We'll see.
[Reply]
Megatron96 04:34 PM 10-19-2019
Actually I agree with PnD19 and D-9; there's not enough evidence to say definitively that the run defense is better without Jones. It was only one game, against what appeared to be one of the worst OLs in the NFL. And it was obvious that our defense, particularly our front-7 came out and played at a completely different level of intensity than they have all season.

But saying that our run defense is now a solid unit after just one game isn't clear and obvious. We need to see them play against some better OLs. The games against the Packers and the Vikings will be much more telling, IMO.

If he comes back sometime in the next two weeks, particularly against either the Vikings or the Packers, and the run D is dramatically better or worse will be a lot more telling about his effect. And that's assuming the front-7 plays similarly to how they played Thursday night.

And it's a fact that Jones is the most capable and athletic of our DTs. At the end of the day, we really need him to be playing well for us going forward.
[Reply]
wazu 04:36 PM 10-19-2019
The defense was better because they played physical, aggressive, TEAM defense. Every guy busting their ass to do their job. Flacco and Denver didn’t hurt either...

If Jones comes in and does that as well, the defense will be much better as a whole.
This is my hope. Maybe the system is coming together and team leadership is bringing a different attitude. Jones comes back and takes it up another notch.
[Reply]
Coogs 04:40 PM 10-19-2019
There was a similar conversation a couple of years ago when Peters had his one game suspension. Peters freelanced a bunch and left his teammates hanging out to dry. Peters got his one game suspension. Defense had it's best performance of the season that day.

:-) Just sayin'

Jones did say before the season he wasn't sure about this new defense. Paraphrasing of course.
[Reply]
Chieftain 04:40 PM 10-19-2019
Veach should "Dee Ford" the whole Jones contract situation. Franchise tag him and trade him for a 2nd rounder. Get an IML at the draft with that pick.
[Reply]
Dunerdr 04:52 PM 10-19-2019
I love Chris Jones but I recently wondered what Bill Bellicheat would do with Jones. He’s be sidelined for fucking up run plays until they needed him to rush the passer, and probably tagged and traded.
[Reply]
chiefzilla1501 05:01 PM 10-19-2019
Originally Posted by Hog's Gone Fishin:
Our Defense didn't all of the sudden get good because Jones is out. Spags put a different plan together because his coaching ass is on the line. Our linebackers never attacked like this before. I just hope this wasn't a fluke!
I always hate the theory that a coach saves his best stuff for the end of the season. But I still really wonder if that was the case here. Our D was uncharacteristically vanilla to start the season.
[Reply]
MAHOMO 4 LIFE! 05:09 PM 10-19-2019
Hitchens said they didn’t do anything different. There mentality was different he said
[Reply]
notorious 05:14 PM 10-19-2019
They played against a pile of shit team. Jones is a stud.

No.
[Reply]
Chris Meck 06:04 PM 10-19-2019

I don't think anyone would disagree with that.
:-)
[Reply]
dlphg9 07:50 PM 10-19-2019
This stupid ass Jones goes rogue is just some over blown saying that was initially used as an excuse by people to defend Frank Clark. "Chris Jones is only rushing the passer so well because he goes rogue and Frank Clark holds his edge", Its ****ing retarded.
[Reply]
staylor26 07:56 PM 10-19-2019
Originally Posted by dlphg9:
This stupid ass Jones goes rogue is just some over blown saying that was initially used as an excuse by people to defend Frank Clark. "Chris Jones is only rushing the passer so well because he goes rogue and Frank Clark holds his edge", Its ****ing retarded.
No it actually started before that. CP really does hate Jones. It’s weird as fuck.
[Reply]
Mama Hip Rockets 08:05 PM 10-19-2019
Wasn't Chris Jones out for the previous 1.5 games when they gave up 16,000 rushing yards to Indianapolis and Houston?

The defense was better because they played the horrendous Broncos instead of Indy or Houston.
[Reply]
PHOG 08:11 PM 10-19-2019
Originally Posted by Mama Hip Rockets:
Wasn't Chris Jones out for the previous 1.5 games when they gave up 16,000 rushing yards to Indianapolis and Houston?

The defense was better because they played the horrendous Broncos instead of Indy or Houston.
That is a true story
[Reply]
JD10367 08:17 PM 10-19-2019
Originally Posted by Dunerdr:
I love Chris Jones but I recently wondered what Bill Bellicheat would do with Jones. He’s be sidelined for ****ing up run plays until they needed him to rush the passer, and probably tagged and traded.
your and idiot

But, since you bring it up, perhaps your whole "Chris Jones freelances too much and maybe the D is better without him" thing is kind of similar to the Pats and Jamie Collins. When they had him, he was an occasionally great player who freelanced once too often and got sent packing to (at the time) football Siberia (Cleveland). He figured it out and started to become more disciplined and has become a better player this second time around with the Pats.
[Reply]
Page 3 of 7
< 123 4567 >
Up