ChiefsPlanet Mobile
Page 1 of 7
1 2345 > Last »
Nzoner's Game Room>Defense is better without Jones?
JakeF 02:06 PM 10-19-2019
Denver's offensive line is weak so all of this is wait and see but we definitely seem to have a more structured Defense without Jones. Jones' talent is undeniable but his play has a serious flaw. He abandons the run to attack the QB.

With Jones gone, we have 2 bigger guys in the middle who play the run 1st. They also protect our linebackers who are freed up to read and attack. With the center of our defense now anchored, the outside guys (clark,ogbah, okafor) can be more aggressive. It also keeps the middle of the field clear for our safeties.

That's what seemed to change for our defense against Denver.

Hitchens played his best game and Ragland showed up like he never has before. Frank Clark was better and Matheiu was more aggressive.

Having DT's that protect your LBs is so important. I would rather have Clark,Okafor and Ogbah getting sacks than Jones.

I think Hitchens and Ragland can even start getting some sacks without guards in their face on every play.

:-)
[Reply]
poolboy 02:07 PM 10-19-2019
yes, who would have thunk it?:-)
[Reply]
rabblerouser 02:08 PM 10-19-2019
Put Jones at end. Clark at LB.

Profit.
[Reply]
MAHOMO 4 LIFE! 02:09 PM 10-19-2019
Also not having Darron Lee on the field helped but definitely Saunders and Nnadi we’re splitting double teams all day long. Sticking to their assignments and letting other players like the linebackers make the plays!! Exactly what Mathieu said we needed to do. Jones literally shoots the wrong hole and allows running lanes that a semi can drive through
[Reply]
UChieffyBugger 02:17 PM 10-19-2019
I'm glad someone started this thread as I was gonna ask this very question :-) . Although tbh I think putting Jones at DE opposite Clark could be the way forward and then just rotate Okafor and Ogbah in to keep the D-line fresh and dangerous. Saunders was known for his pass rushing skills in college so it might not be long before we see him getting to the QB as well.
[Reply]
MAHOMO 4 LIFE! 02:20 PM 10-19-2019
Originally Posted by UChieffyBugger:
I'm glad someone started this thread as I was gonna ask this very question :-) . Although tbh I think putting Jones at DE opposite Clark could be the way forward and then just rotate Okafor and Ogbah in to put the D-line fresh and dangerous. Saunders was known for his pass rushing skills in college so it might not be long before we see him getting to the QB as well.
He was rock solid against the run last week. That stuffed failed 2 point conversion happened because of him splitting the double team and Ragland filling his gap
[Reply]
-King- 02:20 PM 10-19-2019
Already? This really is overreaction planet
[Reply]
Hog's Gone Fishin 02:39 PM 10-19-2019
Our Defense didn't all of the sudden get good because Jones is out. Spags put a different plan together because his coaching ass is on the line. Our linebackers never attacked like this before. I just hope this wasn't a fluke!
[Reply]
Chris Meck 02:40 PM 10-19-2019
I like Jones, but I've been as critical as anyone about his freelancing.

He's talented, but if he's not going to play scheme-sound football, then yeah, he'll be a liability, especially on run downs.

Let's hope that watching the game Thursday got him a Jones-sized woody for team play.
[Reply]
carcosa 02:41 PM 10-19-2019
No
[Reply]
Wallcrawler 02:42 PM 10-19-2019
Originally Posted by -King-:
Already? This really is overreaction planet
Jones has always been a pass rush first player. Theres no already about it.

With him out of the middle, and the tackles just doing their job, the run defense was massively improved.

Pass rush is fantastic, but not if it creates a situation in the run game where the offense literally never has to throw.

Put him at end, or get him on board with the scheme in the middle.
[Reply]
wazu 02:42 PM 10-19-2019
Have been wondering about this as well. Will definitely need to see if this new look D is still showing up the next 2 weeks before believing this could be possible.
[Reply]
dlphg9 02:43 PM 10-19-2019
Holy fuck this place is fucking filled with stupid mother fuckers. You realize he was out against the Texans and they shoved our shit in? He was in against the Raiders and we owned them. So somehow you come to this retarded conclusion that we are better with out Jones? Sound logic, idiot.
[Reply]
wazu 02:45 PM 10-19-2019
To those acting like this is a stupid thing to even wonder about, remember that Thursday night, there was one point where there was a very real possibility that the Chiefs were going to break the all-time record for sacks in a game. Without Chris Jones. And yes much of that was on their horrid offense, but they've been able to run the ball against others this year just fine.
[Reply]
Chris Meck 02:47 PM 10-19-2019
Originally Posted by dlphg9:
Holy **** this place is ****ing filled with stupid mother ****ers. You realize he was out against the Texans and they shoved our shit in? He was in against the Raiders and we owned them. So somehow you come to this retarded conclusion that we are better with out Jones? Sound logic, idiot.

I don't think either of your characterizations are quite accurate.

I don't think anyone is saying we're better without Jones, just that the ONE real dominant performance showed 11 guys all maintaining their responisibilities and so were successful. Jones is known for not doing that a fair amount.

I think we all would prefer if Jones were healthy, in the line-up, and not freelancing.

Big man needs to stay in his lane.
[Reply]
Page 1 of 7
1 2345 > Last »
Up