ChiefsPlanet Mobile
Page 1 of 4
1 234 >
Nzoner's Game Room>Trying to find any silver lining
treeguy27 08:27 AM 10-19-2019
Just grasping at straws here to find any small positive from Mahomes' time off.

Any pressure that was on Mahomes to repeat as MVP and back up his stats from last year has been removed now. I honestly doubt that he was worried about it anyway, but now he can just go out and play loose and win games. The only stats to worry about now are the wins and losses. Again, I don't think Mahomes was concerned about it anyway but it would only be natural to want to validate last years performance.
[Reply]
Chris Meck 08:36 AM 10-19-2019
I see several.

Mahomes is so phenomenally talented that the Chiefs got away from fundamental football. There seemed to be an attitude of standing around waiting for Pat to do some crazy shit and win the game.

We're going to need to run the ball. We're going to need to play defense. We're going to need to do all the little things that we'd gotten sloppy with.

Andy's going to have to dust off the Alex Smith 2015 playbook. Screens and draws and short passes. Play-action.

We can absolutely be competitive while Mahomes is out, and will likely be a more fundamentally sound football team when he comes back. Other leaders are going to have to step up and lead by example. We already saw some of that Thursday.

This can bring the team together. This can absolutely be a positive, a gut-check.
[Reply]
TEX 08:40 AM 10-19-2019
Originally Posted by Chris Meck:
I see several.

Mahomes is so phenomenally talented that the Chiefs got away from fundamental football. There seemed to be an attitude of standing around waiting for Pat to do some crazy shit and win the game.

We're going to need to run the ball. We're going to need to play defense. We're going to need to do all the little things that we'd gotten sloppy with.

Andy's going to have to dust off the Alex Smith 2015 playbook. Screens and draws and short passes. Play-action.

We can absolutely be competitive while Mahomes is out, and will likely be a more fundamentally sound football team when he comes back. Other leaders are going to have to step up and lead by example. We already saw some of that Thursday.

This can bring the team together. This can absolutely be a positive, a gut-check.
:-) This is an excellent take!
[Reply]
IowaHawkeyeChief 08:42 AM 10-19-2019
It will allow the nagging ankle to heal as well. That wasn't going to get to 100% playing every week.
[Reply]
Hog's Gone Fishin 08:44 AM 10-19-2019
It'll get Matt Moore some play time so if he's needed during the SB he won't be so rusty.
[Reply]
wazu 08:51 AM 10-19-2019
A couple of others:

- Mahomes should come back with fully healed ankle
- When Mahomes comes back he should have Fisher back
[Reply]
penchief 08:53 AM 10-19-2019
Originally Posted by treeguy27:
Just grasping at straws here to find any small positive from Mahomes' time off.

Any pressure that was on Mahomes to repeat as MVP and back up his stats from last year has been removed now. I honestly doubt that he was worried about it anyway, but now he can just go out and play loose and win games. The only stats to worry about now are the wins and losses. Again, I don't think Mahomes was concerned about it anyway but it would only be natural to want to validate last years performance.
My silver lining is that I think we'll be a better and more well-rounded team when he gets back. They can't rely on the MVP to keep pulling them out of the fire. They'll have to sink or swim on their own. I think we saw the beginning of that on Thursday. I see a team that will have great chemistry and better able to step up when Pat is not carrying the team. The spotlight is on the defense to get better. This is their opportunity to step up. And if they do, oh boy, we might have a chance.

Regardless, I think this is the season this team learns how to be a champion. It has already been a dog fight and it isn't going to get easier. Between the schedule (which includes a slew of tough defenses) and the injuries, I believe this is going to be a battle-hardened team that emerges down the stretch. And losing Pat for a few games is going to test everyone's mettle. I believe there is enough leadership on the field to step up to that challenge.

It might be a blessing in disguise...I hope.
[Reply]
ptlyon 08:53 AM 10-19-2019
I see several.

You use your mouth purtier than a $20 whore
[Reply]
Master Chief 08:55 AM 10-19-2019
A.) Better to have him go through this now than late in the season, and

B.) Mahomes should come back fully healed and ready ball out the second half of the season. That’s the silver lining.
[Reply]
Naptown Chief 08:56 AM 10-19-2019
I see several.

What he said. It'll also give his ankle time to heal up too
[Reply]
penchief 08:59 AM 10-19-2019
I see several.

My sentiments exactly but much more concise.
[Reply]
displacedinMN 09:03 AM 10-19-2019
Moore/Reid/Bienemy with 7-10 days to come up with and implement game plan. With a QB with experience.

Mahomes will heal.
[Reply]
Master Chief 09:04 AM 10-19-2019
Originally Posted by penchief:
My silver lining is that I think we'll be a better and more well-rounded team when he gets back. They can't rely on the MVP to keep pulling them out of the fire. They'll have to sink or swim on their own. I think we saw the beginning of that on Thursday. I see a team that will have great chemistry and better able to step up when Pat is not carrying the team. The spotlight is on the defense to get better. This is their opportunity to step up. And if they do, oh boy, we might have a chance.

Regardless, I think this is the season this team learns how to be a champion. It has already been a dog fight and it isn't going to get easier. Between the schedule (which includes a slew of tough defenses) and the injuries, I believe this is going to be a battle-hardened team that emerges down the stretch. And losing Pat for a few games is going to test everyone's mettle. I believe there is enough leadership on the field to step up to that challenge.

It might be a blessing in disguise...I hope.
Well said. Blessing in disguise in the long run. Plus the team will be invigorated when Mahomes returns, especially if it’s a home game. Stadium is gonna go nuts. Will be fun to see.
[Reply]
oldman 09:05 AM 10-19-2019
I see several.

You're right, Chris. It's been so much fun to watch the highlight reel we've forgotten who we are. Do I want to go back to Martyball? Not a chance, but I want to see some real hits (see Niemann's hit from Thursday night), I want to see some nasty from our O-line, I want some fear struck into the hearts of our opponents from someone else besides #15.
[Reply]
Wallcrawler 09:14 AM 10-19-2019
As long as Andy doesn't Andy.

This guy is FULLY capable once Mahomes is back, of tossing the balanced playbook onto the fire. Its literally going to be killing Reid to have to call some handoffs. HANDOFFS. Not RPOs, full on "The running back is rushing the football 100% on this play" handoffs.

Andy's passing attack is like crack to him. I can see the mindset turn the moment 15 steps on that field.

"Patrick's back now, glad this 50/50 run pass bullshit can **** right off now, and I can get back to 80% passes."

Bieniemy needs to be in his ear constantly, trying to keep Andy in check on the balance, otherwise we just go back to square one, "Put it all on 15 and we're good". Hey O line, we arent even gonna try to make em think about the run. They're pinning their ears back and rushing with abandon every down.

Dont get him killed. Good luck.

Andy Reid is arguably the most double edged sword in coaching history.
[Reply]
Page 1 of 4
1 234 >
Up