ChiefsPlanet Mobile
Page 39 of 57
« First < 293536373839 4041424349 > Last »
Media Center>Captain Marvel
Fish 08:23 AM 09-18-2018

[Reply]
Sassy Squatch 08:20 PM 03-10-2019
Originally Posted by Mr. Plow:
The political "girl power" stuff is from Larson's mouth outside of the movie while promoting the movie - has nothing to do with the movie itself other than having the lead be a female. Pay attention.
Meh. Couldn't give any less of a shit what political views the actors I'm currently watching have. I go to the movies to escape reality for a couple of hours.
[Reply]
Mr. Plow 08:26 PM 03-10-2019
Originally Posted by Bowser:
That's kind of what it seemed like leading up to the movie. She can use this movie all she wants to promote whatever world view she'd like, I really couldn't care less. I just want a good Marvel movie as I've come to expect from them, that's it. Just don't go full The Last Jedi on me, and everything will be fine.

[Reply]
Mr. Plow 08:27 PM 03-10-2019
Originally Posted by Superturtle:
Meh. Couldn't give any less of a shit what political views the actors I'm currently watching have. I go to the movies to escape reality for a couple of hours.
Which is exactly how the majority of people feel, myself included.
[Reply]
Bowser 08:29 PM 03-10-2019
:-)

Fucking nailed it
[Reply]
KC_Lee 08:29 PM 03-10-2019
Originally Posted by Rams Fan:
There’s one “girl power” scene the entire movie and it wasn’t out of place.

Anyone who’s complaining about it probably also yells at clouds.
The "girl power" was minimal but my complaint was the "grrrl power" music trope that was used over and over. It was lazy and cliched.
[Reply]
CoMoChief 09:02 PM 03-10-2019
I just got out of the theater an hour ago and I don’t get any of the fuss about the political stuff.

There’s one “girl power” scene the entire movie and it wasn’t out of place.

Anyone who’s complaining about it probably also yells at clouds.

It’s a solid 7/10 for me. The first half was super slow but after that it was entertaining.
Wrong...it was all over the place, all through out the movie.

Every man in this movie was a doofy, bumbling clown...or a coward.

You can still have strong female and male characters and not go Last Jedi on a film.

This movie had an agenda...that was clear as day, and it was unnecessary. Captain Marvel went full Last Jedi.
[Reply]
Pitt Gorilla 09:21 PM 03-10-2019
Originally Posted by vailpass:
Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice grossed $330.4 million in North America and $543.3 million in other territories for a worldwide total of $873.6 million

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Batman...awn_of_Justice
I don’t get it.
[Reply]
FAX 09:26 PM 03-10-2019
Personally, I think it's super cool that film (like music and tap-dancing) is perceived subjectively.

FAX
[Reply]
listopencil 09:48 PM 03-10-2019
Originally Posted by Baby Lee:
They've already 'explained it.'

Ridley was female by casting, there was no femininity in her heroics.

It doesn't count as social progress if you just 'stuntcast' a woman into a man's role. You're not diversifying the actual narratives.

[Don't ask me how they reconcile Sarah Connor being driven by maternal instinct. I'm sure they came up with something about the bourgeoisie and patriarchal roleplay.]

Wow. So now 'they' get to decide what is and what is not feminine? Sounds like a huge load of sexist bullshit.
[Reply]
Buehler445 10:40 PM 03-10-2019
Originally Posted by DJ's left nut:
Captain Marvel is a fringe character that's never had a following to speak of. So was Ant-Man. It doesn't really matter - Marvel will tell you what to be interested in, I guess.

But as to the idea that she was a normal comic book character - that's not been my understanding. Again; not my wheelhouse, but my understanding was that she was pretty much the comic-book equivalent of a Berkeley Intersectional Feminist from her inception.

{shrug}

Don't care. I've only seen the big 'tentpole' Marvel movies in theatres anyway. I think it's just been Age of Ultron, Civil War and Infinity War. I'll go see Endgame when it comes out.

Everything else I've just waited for on Netflix and have been varying degrees of mindlessly entertained or somewhat disappointed.

Oh, and I just re-watched Black Panther. Seriously - if that thing didn't get embraced by the black community, it could've just as easily been scorned as being crazy racist. I'm watching that movie with people literally throwing spears and howling like gorillas and am wondering who the hell had the balls to make that. I mean that's dancing on a knife's edge right there.

The SJWs could've just as easily decided that it was blacksploitation rather than black empowerment, right? Am I completely nuts? How does taking a shitload of racial tropes from the 40s and applying them to an advanced African tribe (who became advanced simply by happy accident; they were the tribe that landed on the Vibranium) make them NOT racial tropes? There was a ton of cognitive dissonance there.
Holy shit. How did I miss all this? You're spot on best I can tell.

Originally Posted by KC_Lee:
Just saw the movie. All I can say is...meh.

Not a bad movie just not a great one. The Skrull make up looked goofy and amateurish. The "Grrrrrrril" rock songs got old after the second song.

Seems like there was a better movie lurking under the surface, it just couldn't get out.

And one big thing that made no sense...
Spoiler!
Spoiler!

[Reply]
ThaVirus 06:09 AM 03-11-2019
Spoiler!
Thank you.
[Reply]
kcpasco 06:45 PM 03-11-2019
Originally Posted by listopencil:
Wow. So now 'they' get to decide what is and what is not feminine? Sounds like a huge load of sexist bullshit.
Sigourney Weaver walking around in her panties looked damn feminine to me. And she was badass xenomorph slayer also.
[Reply]
Rams Fan 08:27 PM 03-11-2019
The political "girl power" stuff is from Larson's mouth outside of the movie while promoting the movie - has nothing to do with the movie itself other than having the lead be a female. Pay attention.
See post below for why I posted what I did.

Originally Posted by CoMoChief:
Wrong...it was all over the place, all through out the movie.

Every man in this movie was a doofy, bumbling clown...or a coward.

You can still have strong female and male characters and not go Last Jedi on a film.

This movie had an agenda...that was clear as day, and it was unnecessary. Captain Marvel went full Last Jedi.

[Reply]
Deberg_1990 09:15 PM 03-11-2019
It was ok, probably around the middle or bottom of the Marvel series for me. Not even close to the epicness of Black Panther.

I was entertained, but nothing truly special.

The girl power stuff didn't bother me.
[Reply]
Munson 09:32 PM 03-11-2019
I thought it was an underwhelming movie.

Glad I only paid $5 for the early show.
[Reply]
Page 39 of 57
« First < 293536373839 4041424349 > Last »
Up