ChiefsPlanet Mobile
Page 19 of 57
« First < 91516171819 2021222329 > Last »
Media Center>Captain Marvel
Fish 08:23 AM 09-18-2018

[Reply]
The Franchise 10:43 AM 02-27-2019
I've never used Rotten Tomatoes or critics to determine if I want to see a movie or not. Not once. Never.

I watch trailers and if the movie looks interesting.....I'll go see it. If I'm meh about it....I'll wait to rent it.
[Reply]
Bowser 10:51 AM 02-27-2019
Originally Posted by The Franchise:
I've never used Rotten Tomatoes or critics to determine if I want to see a movie or not. Not once. Never.

I watch trailers and if the movie looks interesting.....I'll go see it. If I'm meh about it....I'll wait to rent it.
This. I'll glance at it, maybe, but usually I've already made up my mind if I'm going to put the effort into going to it way before it comes out (usually).

This RT thing makes me feel like this is nothing more than unchecked social media running rampant. Everyone has a voice on the internet, nobody is ever wrong, and everyone needs to be heard RIGHT NOW DAMN YOU. It just seems like that is what is happening here, to me at least.
[Reply]
chiefzilla1501 11:00 AM 02-27-2019
Originally Posted by Bowser:
This. I'll glance at it, maybe, but usually I've already made up my mind if I'm going to put the effort into going to it way before it comes out (usually).

This RT thing makes me feel like this is nothing more than unchecked social media running rampant. Everyone has a voice on the internet, nobody is ever wrong, and everyone needs to be heard RIGHT NOW DAMN YOU. It just seems like that is what is happening here, to me at least.
Yup. All the horror over Netflix getting rid of reviews and did anyone even notice they were gone? Espn shut off comments because back and forth trolling was a big problem. I go to a sports site for sports news. I go to rotten tomatoes to get a nudge on movies I could watch. I don't want that experience bogged down in this garbage. And by the way, these reviews are shut off for all movies, liberal or conservative. Most of the main users of RT won't even know its missing.
[Reply]
BigRichard 11:05 AM 02-27-2019
Originally Posted by DaFace:
So to clarify, if I post a poll from the KC Star on ChiefsPlanet, tell people that they should help me rig it, and the KC Star chooses to take it down after noticing that people were being driven there to rig the poll, the KC Star is awful?
If your business model is based on people going to your site and talking about/rating/reviewing (and then possibly buying tickets through them) a movie and you have to shut down part of the discussion on said movies because 1. they think people are trolling(and if they are can't seem to handle it) 2. Don't like the outcome of what some people are saying and/or 3. have people that just don't even understand what they are looking at on your site(cough, cough) then I think your business model could be in trouble.

You are trying to compare apples to lizards. Not even anywhere near close to what is being discussed here.

I think a better example would simply be you shutting down the Media Center sub forum because you had trolls in a certain thread. Why would you do that? Don't you just handle the trolls if that is what they truly are? It still isn't apples to apples but it is a lot closer to this scenario then your example.
[Reply]
Buehler445 11:15 AM 02-27-2019
This whole thing just reeks of insecurity. I'm not a huge fan of Trump, but he, Ivanka, Cohen, and his whole crew can show up in Endgame for a cameo to talk about Russia and I'm still going to see it.

I just don't understand how people can live their lives SO PISSED OFF over politics. Just calm the fuck down and enjoy an entertaining film.
Welcome to Modern America.
[Reply]
unlurking 11:25 AM 02-27-2019
Originally Posted by chiefzilla1501:
...All the horror over Netflix getting rid of reviews and did anyone even notice they were gone?...
Fuck yes I did. Netflix recommendation system is absolute shit. Reviews were the only way to get a sense of what a film really was. Not saying that every review was worthwhile, but the Netflix descriptions are pure shit and the algorithm that pushes shit I have absolutely no interest in seeing has made it that I never browse Netflix anymore.

Even worse, IMO, is that they got rid of the "not interested" button so stupid shit keeps getting pushed at me. /rant

Back on topic to Captain Marvel, I will see it. I don't do social media. I follow a few experts in my field and some sports/tech news folks on Twitter, but I don't end up seeing or getting involved in all the BS that our society seems to thrive off of these days. So none of this mess bothers me.

:-)
[Reply]
Fish 11:31 AM 02-27-2019
I think most of the problem is how Rotten Tomatoes is now being used as a marketing tool while at the same time trying to maintain a user/critic driven system. Commercials for movies are now including the RT score. Warner Bros. now owns a part of RT as well. Which is great until you have some kind of backlash, legit or otherwise.
[Reply]
DaFace 11:35 AM 02-27-2019
Originally Posted by BigRichard:
I think a better example would simply be you shutting down the Media Center sub forum because you had trolls in a certain thread. Why would you do that? Don't you just handle the trolls if that is what they truly are? It still isn't apples to apples but it is a lot closer to this scenario then your example.
Just for the record, it's not at all uncommon to boot the trolls from the thread and in some cases move the threads to the Romper Room.
[Reply]
chiefzilla1501 11:39 AM 02-27-2019
Originally Posted by unlurking:
**** yes I did. Netflix recommendation system is absolute shit. Reviews were the only way to get a sense of what a film really was. Not saying that every review was worthwhile, but the Netflix descriptions are pure shit and the algorithm that pushes shit I have absolutely no interest in seeing has made it that I never browse Netflix anymore.

Even worse, IMO, is that they got rid of the "not interested" button so stupid shit keeps getting pushed at me. /rant

Back on topic to Captain Marvel, I will see it. I don't do social media. I follow a few experts in my field and some sports/tech news folks on Twitter, but I don't end up seeing or getting involved in all the BS that our society seems to thrive off of these days. So none of this mess bothers me.

:-)
Then you can thank the troll campaigns that went to great lengths to downvote movies they never saw before. By the end, those reviews became almost totally useless for things that had nothing to do with the movie. Uber has the same problem with driver ratings. And Amazon has a constant problem with product reviews. And the biggest people who suffer are those who genuinely want to use the reviews for what they're intended for. The product itself.
[Reply]
Mr. Plow 11:47 AM 02-27-2019
In plenty of cases I'm sure these are fake or mult accounts. Or people who know nothing about the movie but were told to click on a link and go be outraged... That's basically trolling to me. It's a disservice to those who legitimately want an opinion. To me it's like Amazon... Do you want a good product to get a 2 star rating because one person had a bad experience, so he set up mult accounts and then set up a troll campaign where he blasted a link to hundreds of followers who voted on a product they never bought? That isn't due process. That's a rigged result. And it does a disservice to a person who genuinely wants to know bullshit aside whether to care about the movie or not. It doesn't matter if it's a rating or a temperature check, it's not at all what the site is intended to do.
What difference could it really make to a movie if 1,000,000 troll accounts went and gave it a "I don't want to see it"? Will that change your opinion on whether you (or anyone) want to see it or not?
[Reply]
unlurking 11:51 AM 02-27-2019
Then you can thank the troll campaigns that went to great lengths to downvote movies they never saw before. By the end, those reviews became almost totally useless for things that had nothing to do with the movie. Uber has the same problem with driver ratings. And Amazon has a constant problem with product reviews. And the biggest people who suffer are those who genuinely want to use the reviews for what they're intended for. The product itself.
Don't disagree at all.

Reading through a dozen reviews and finding one or two that are good enough to assist in making informed decisions can be worthwhile. For me, with Netflix, it was. Losing that option has caused Netflix to lose much of my viewing time.

For Lyft (I actually boycott Uber and use Lyft), I don't think I have ever read a driver review. I think the difference their is that for me, it's just a get me a ride from point A to point B as quickly as possible. Bottled water, music, and potpourri don't mean anything to me.

Amazon is a huge issue for me. I use the fakespot plugin and even that is not foolproof. I've found several false positives in their scoring, but the review system there is worthwhile enough for me to spend the time sifting through the garbage.

Guess it just boils down to what I want reviews for, and those I do, I would appreciate the vendor/host/platform taking steps to clean up the trash. Where possible.
[Reply]
Just Passin' By 11:55 AM 02-27-2019
What in the bloody hell are you guys pissed at RT for? On what planet does it make sense to allow people to submit a reaction to a movie before it's even out? I've thought it was weird they allowed that for years, and this is just the event that made it obvious that it's a problem.
You're defending what's happened as if you have stock in the companies involved and can't afford a price drop.
[Reply]
htismaqe 11:58 AM 02-27-2019
Originally Posted by Fish:
I think most of the problem is how Rotten Tomatoes is now being used as a marketing tool while at the same time trying to maintain a user/critic driven system. Commercials for movies are now including the RT score. Warner Bros. now owns a part of RT as well. Which is great until you have some kind of backlash, legit or otherwise.
Yep.

I'm a top tech reviewer at Amazon and I have to fight constantly through the paid reviews to get mine seen.

RT did the right thing by not allowing pre-release reviews. See the movie, review it legitimately. It's that simple.
[Reply]
DaFace 12:46 PM 02-27-2019
Originally Posted by Just Passin' By:
You're defending what's happened as if you have stock in the companies involved and can't afford a price drop.
No, I just think that people love to get outraged about things that don't matter. None of what Larson has said matters. Nothing about Rotten Tomatoes matters. Someone's forecast about how much money it's going to make doesn't matter. It's all bullshit.

My position in this thread, as it has always been, is that the movie is likely to be good based on Marvel's track record, but if it's not it'll tank.

I'm just incredibly frustrated that this thread is a shit show that has very little do to with the movie that we're supposed to be talking about, and I feel bad for those who care so much about the opinions of others that it interferes with your ability to enjoy a goddamn movie.

The end.
[Reply]
Bowser 12:56 PM 02-27-2019
MaDaFace!
[Reply]
Page 19 of 57
« First < 91516171819 2021222329 > Last »
Up