ChiefsPlanet Mobile
Page 378 of 386
« First < 278328368374375376377378 379380381382 > Last »
Media Center>Game of Thrones Seasons 7-8
keg in kc 02:23 PM 05-24-2017
About to hit the 5000 post mark on the old thread, the first season 7 trailer today seems like the right time to start the final Game of Thones thread.

I'm going back to the original rules pre-2015. I don't think we need supervision or bannings. Just don't be a dick. Post anything you find online that hasn't aired yet inside of spoiler tags. That's pretty much it. I think we can all handle that...

For future us, 2015 thread is here: Link
[Reply]
Easy 6 02:45 PM 06-15-2019
Anyone know when they’re releasing to DVD?
[Reply]
Frazod 02:52 PM 06-15-2019
Originally Posted by Discuss Thrower:
Spoiler!
You suck too. :-)
[Reply]
Discuss Thrower 03:21 PM 06-15-2019
Originally Posted by Frazod:
You suck too. :-)
I've only read Dune so I don't have an opinion about the sequels. I just had to post that since I thought it was funny when I was a middle schooler.
[Reply]
Frazod 03:56 PM 06-15-2019
Originally Posted by Discuss Thrower:
I've only read Dune so I don't have an opinion about the sequels. I just had to post that since I thought it was funny when I was a middle schooler.
Yeah, that was pretty funny. :-)

As I've said before, Dune was great, and is my favorite book of all time. The stuff written by his son and Anderson obviously don't compare to that. But they do compare to the follow-up novels in the original series.
[Reply]
keg in kc 09:35 PM 06-16-2019
For me it's kind of like Brandon Sanderson trying to finish the Wheel of Time: the voice is so drastically different from the original, that it just becomes something else entirely. To the point that it just doesn't work for me. I can't read it.

And Sanderson is a much, much better writer than Kevin J. Anderson.

The only thing 'Dune' about any of those prequel books were the character and planet names. It was basically fan fiction before fan fiction was a thing. Which isn't a surprise since Anderson made his name writing EU Star Wars novels
[Reply]
Chiefspants 07:46 AM 06-17-2019
Originally Posted by keg in kc:
For me it's kind of like Brandon Sanderson trying to finish the Wheel of Time: the voice is so drastically different from the original, that it just becomes something else entirely. To the point that it just doesn't work for me. I can't read it.
Looking at things in a vacuum, I think Sanderson may have been able to tie up the series better than Jordan would have been able to due to the quality of Jordan's last WOT works (there was a lot of meandering to get through). While the voice was different, being able to tie up the series and the loose ends like Sanderson did radically exceeded my expectations, even if the voice and style were radically different in the works before.

This example is why I don't think GRRM will realistically be able to finish ASOIAF in only two more books. I think someone writing at the pace of Brandon Sanderson (and the pace of Storm of Swords) could, but I just don't think Martin is at the place in his own universe anymore. I think realistically (the r/asoiaf subreddit calculated over 200 ongoing subplots still going on at the end of Dance), if the ASOIAF is brought to a finish, GRRM is going to need an eighth book to tie it all together.
[Reply]
Frazod 08:38 AM 06-17-2019
Originally Posted by keg in kc:

And Sanderson is a much, much better writer than Kevin J. Anderson.

The only thing 'Dune' about any of those prequel books were the character and planet names. It was basically fan fiction before fan fiction was a thing. Which isn't a surprise since Anderson made his name writing EU Star Wars novels
Those books were based on Herbert's notes, so I'd say they were less fan fiction and more what Benioff and Weiss did to GoT after they ran out of actual book material.

I certainly enjoyed the "House" books the most, primarily because they dealt with familiar characters from the first book.
[Reply]
lawrenceRaider 08:48 AM 06-17-2019
Those books were based on Herbert's notes, so I'd say they were less fan fiction and more what Benioff and Weiss did to GoT after they ran out of actual book material.

I certainly enjoyed the "House" books the most, primarily because they dealt with familiar characters from the first book.
I enjoyed the House books as well. Anderson is an adequate writer. The original series by Herbert wasn't great outside the first and last books anyway. A ton of nostalgia because of the greatness of the first book gets transferred to the series as a whole.
[Reply]
Frazod 09:03 AM 06-17-2019
Originally Posted by lawrenceRaider:
I enjoyed the House books as well. Anderson is an adequate writer. The original series by Herbert wasn't great outside the first and last books anyway. A ton of nostalgia because of the greatness of the first book gets transferred to the series as a whole.
I never read the fifth and sixth books because I so utterly despised the fourth. I'm told they're much better. I don't care.
[Reply]
lawrenceRaider 09:13 AM 06-17-2019
I never read the fifth and sixth books because I so utterly despised the fourth. I'm told they're much better. I don't care.
I nearly quit after 4 as well. 5 was ok as I recall. Probably some bias towards being better than it was because of how bad 4 was. 6 is pretty outstanding. It's been long enough now since I read them, that I can't remember if you really need to read 5 to get 6.
[Reply]
DJ's left nut 09:27 AM 06-17-2019
Gotta combine books 4 and 5 into a single book.

Download 'ball of beasts' and read them all chronologically and suddenly those books don't suck nearly as badly.
[Reply]
Baby Lee 01:20 PM 10-12-2019

[Reply]
BigRedChief 08:12 PM 04-14-2021

They gave Zack Snyder 70 something million bucks to "fix" Justice League.

Fix season 8. You could probably do it in three episodes. https://t.co/27qMD3iFjC

— John Hornor Jacobs (@johnhornor) April 14, 2021

[Reply]
Fish 08:05 AM 04-15-2021
Now that would be cool. Redo the whole season....
[Reply]
RINGLEADER 08:53 AM 04-15-2021
Originally Posted by Fish:
Now that would be cool. Redo the whole season....
Snyder cut showed it can be done. It’s an entirely different movie. Everything from episode 3 on should be redone in 10 episodes so it doesn’t feel like a bunch of boxes being ticked off. Biggest change I would make is having the fight at Winterfell be a diversion and get an epic battle between life and death at Kings Landing.
[Reply]
Page 378 of 386
« First < 278328368374375376377378 379380381382 > Last »
Up