ChiefsPlanet Mobile
Page 36 of 62
« First < 263233343536 3738394046 > Last »
Media Center>Science Fiction and Fantasy Books Only Thread
Buck 07:05 PM 03-20-2012
There is a great thread in the lounge about Books in general, but to be honest, all I really want to read is Sci-Fi (including post-apocalyptic), and Fantasy.

In this OP I will compile every poster's top 3 Fantasy/SciFi suggestions if they give me them. I will try to keep the posters in alphabetical order in case you want to find someone's suggestions easier.

CP POSTER SUGGESTIONS

Baby Lee
1. Fritz Lieber's Swords Against series.
2. George R.R. Martin's SoIaF series [no brainer that will probably make tons of other lists]
3. Umberto Eco, Foucalt's Pendulum [a little more obscure/forgotten to make up for GRRM]

Frosty
1.Raymond Feist - Riftwar Saga
2.Terry Brooks - Shannara series (starting with the Knight of the Word books)
3.Tad Williams - Memory, Sorrow and Thorn

Huffmeister
(1) Dune - Frank Herbert
(2) The Stand - Stephen King (1000+ page unabridged)
(3) Starship Troopers - Robert A. Heinlein (checkout the song by Yes, too. lots of great bass)

Jawshco
1. "Book of the Long Sun" by Gene Wolfe
2. "Paradise War" by Stephen R Lawhead
3. "The Dragonbone Chair" by Tad Williams

listopencil
1. Edgar Rice Burroughs, any series
2. Robert Heinlein, everything he has written in chronological order (but read Starship Troopers first)
3. Doc Smith's Lensman series

vailpass
1. The Science Fiction Hall of Fame Volume 1, 2A & 2B books are a gold mine for sampling the evolution of sci-fi. (below)
2.The Nebula Awards and Hugo Awards (selected yearly, pick a year)
3. Years Best SF Annual publication, pick any volume from 1 to the current volume 17
See Post 142
[Reply]
Ragged Robin 06:47 PM 02-28-2018
Been reading The Witcher series.. pretty disappointed to learn that Yennifer is just as annoying and worthless as in the games, compounded by the fact that Geralt is obsessed with her for some reason when she's just terrible to him the whole time. Also reads like your typical fedora-tipping neckbeard writer with EVERY female wanting to bang Geralt because he's "just a good guy". The actual little story arcs about the quests he goes on are pretty well done and entertaining but anything that involves his romantic life is really bad and tiresome.. and unfortunately there's a ton of that stuff so far (I'm just only wrapping up the second book).
[Reply]
ShiftyEyedWaterboy 08:04 PM 02-28-2018
Originally Posted by Ragged Robin:
Been reading The Witcher series.. pretty disappointed to learn that Yennifer is just as annoying and worthless as in the games, compounded by the fact that Geralt is obsessed with her for some reason when she's just terrible to him the whole time. Also reads like your typical fedora-tipping neckbeard writer with EVERY female wanted to bang Geralt because he's "just a good guy". The actual little story arcs about the quests he goes on are pretty well done and entertaining but anything that involves his romantic life is really bad and tiresome.. and unfortunately there's a ton of that stuff so far (I'm just only wrapping up the second book).
I’m a huge fan of the games but have heard some mixed stuff on the books. Might get around to them eventually.

Just finished Deadhouse Gates. Fucking loved it. The chain of dogs and Mappo/Icarium storylines were great. I’m looking through the goodreads and amazon ratings for the rest of the series and it looks like everything is around 4.5 stars. Is the whole series really this good?
[Reply]
duncan_idaho 09:08 PM 02-28-2018
Originally Posted by ShiftyEyedWaterboy:
I’m a huge fan of the games but have heard some mixed stuff on the books. Might get around to them eventually.

Just finished Deadhouse Gates. Fucking loved it. The chain of dogs and Mappo/Icarium storylines were great. I’m looking through the goodreads and amazon ratings for the rest of the series and it looks like everything is around 4.5 stars. Is the whole series really this good?

It just keeps getting better.

Coltaine 4 lyfe
[Reply]
ShiftyEyedWaterboy 09:26 PM 02-28-2018
Originally Posted by duncan_idaho:
It just keeps getting better.

Coltaine 4 lyfe
I need that as my handle. :-)

Taking a break from the main series and reading Night of Knives.
[Reply]
Loneiguana 02:45 PM 03-01-2018

Just finished Deadhouse Gates. ****ing loved it. The chain of dogs and Mappo/Icarium storylines were great. I’m looking through the goodreads and amazon ratings for the rest of the series and it looks like everything is around 4.5 stars. Is the whole series really this good?
Overall yes. Finished the series a year ago and I already want to reread the whole thing again.

There might be few books that are a chore for you to get through depending on what stories you like and he will still introduce a lot of new characters (cough first few 100 pages of book 4 and most of book 5), but by book 6 you see the connections.

I think the payoff is very much worth it.
[Reply]
Indian Chief 10:57 PM 03-01-2018
I need that as my handle. :-)

Taking a break from the main series and reading Night of Knives.
Night of Knives was enjoyable because it really explained a few things in more detail.

I just finished Memories of Ice. I need a break. That shit was heavy.
[Reply]
duncan_idaho 11:10 AM 03-02-2018
Originally Posted by Indian Chief:
Night of Knives was enjoyable because it really explained a few things in more detail.

I just finished Memories of Ice. I need a break. That shit was heavy.

Spoiler!

[Reply]
ShiftyEyedWaterboy 07:26 PM 06-04-2018
Took a reading break when the semester started getting a little hectic. Just finished House of Chains. On to Midnight Tides.
[Reply]
vailpass 08:35 PM 06-04-2018
Just finished the third book in the Stormlight Archives only to find out the rest haven’t been written yet. Didn’t check before I started. Rookie mistake.

Ordered Gardens of the Moon after first making sure amazon has all ten of them on the shelf.
[Reply]
ShiftyEyedWaterboy 11:34 AM 06-05-2018
Originally Posted by vailpass:

Ordered Gardens of the Moon after first making sure amazon has all ten of them on the shelf.
Nice! I think you’ll like Erikson. Some of his fans are a little iffy on GotM, though. My understanding is that he wrote it ten years before he started the rest of the series. I loved it, personally, but at least get through Deadhouse Gates before you make a decision on Erikson.
[Reply]
duncan_idaho 11:45 AM 06-05-2018
Nice! I think you’ll like Erikson. Some of his fans are a little iffy on GotM, though. My understanding is that he wrote it ten years before he started the rest of the series. I loved it, personally, but at least get through Deadhouse Gates before you make a decision on Erikson.

I’m re-reading it now. Easier read with the context of everything. Gives me little nibbles of “wow” now that I recognize some of the subtle references.

I’m kicking around the idea of writing a tabletop game module (or series) based on the world (re-winding to pre-Empire days) and running some friends through it.
[Reply]
lawrenceRaider 12:09 PM 06-05-2018
Originally Posted by Loneiguana:
Overall yes. Finished the series a year ago and I already want to reread the whole thing again.

There might be few books that are a chore for you to get through depending on what stories you like and he will still introduce a lot of new characters (cough first few 100 pages of book 4 and most of book 5), but by book 6 you see the connections.

I think the payoff is very much worth it.
It is the best series of it's kind by a large margin.
[Reply]
lawrenceRaider 12:11 PM 06-05-2018
Originally Posted by vailpass:
Just finished the third book in the Stormlight Archives only to find out the rest haven’t been written yet. Didn’t check before I started. Rookie mistake.

Sanderson is prolific enough, and still relatively young. Unless you just refuse to read anything unless it is finished, you'll be OK.
[Reply]
listopencil 01:38 PM 06-05-2018
I don't know if this has been mentioned but Tad Williams wrote a very enjoyable fantasy book, Tailchaser's Song, that is supposed to become an animated movie soon.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tailchaser's_Song
[Reply]
Indian Chief 10:09 PM 06-06-2018
Took a reading break when the semester started getting a little hectic. Just finished House of Chains. On to Midnight Tides.
I had to take time off after Memories of Ice. I just started House of Chains. I'm through the Karsa parts and I feel like I'm finding a groove again.
[Reply]
Page 36 of 62
« First < 263233343536 3738394046 > Last »
Up