ChiefsPlanet Mobile
Page 23 of 72
« First < 131920212223 2425262733 > Last »
Nzoner's Game Room>****Official 2019 Missouri Tigers Football Thread****
'Hamas' Jenkins 06:48 AM 08-31-2019
The 2019 season brings uncertainty, as the protracted appeal over a ridiculous "scandal" with a single actor still has not been resolved. On the field, Mizzou faces what appears to be a much easier schedule than in years' past. The early season is loaded with home games before a protracted road stretch from mid-October through November.

Schedule:

Spoiler!

Recruiting:

Spoiler!

Hamas' Crystal ball sees a lot of variance. I could see this team winning as few as 7 and as many as 10 games. Georgia is the only certain loss. Florida is likely still overrated by name, but time will tell.

Official prediction: 9-3. Recruiting prediction: slightly disappointing

FIRE ODOM. NOW
[Reply]
Prison Bitch 11:23 AM 10-21-2019
You should hire Les Miles. I’m not joking.
[Reply]
Matrix 11:48 AM 10-21-2019
Originally Posted by duncan_idaho:
That’s a fair point. It also should take a cautionary page from what has befallen programs with more resources (Nebraska and Tennessee are great examples) that have been impatient with coaches and cycled through a bunch.

Finding the right coach is like finding a partner when you don’t believe in soul mates. Sometimes you know right away, sometimes you need to give it some time.

Missouri’s ceiling as a program is doing something like what Wisconsin or Virginia Tech or Oklahoma State have done. It can’t elevate itself into the truly elite tier without the combination of a historically great coach and a money man willing to spend a fortune supporting the program. (You could argue Okie Lite fits that criteria, and it isn’t elite, either).

It took Barry Alvarez and Bud Foster more than 4 years to get things rolling in their jobs.

Sometimes it just does.

I’m not all in on Odom, and the letdowns are maddening. I’m just not going to blindly expect literally anyone to be better.

The biggest gripe with him is the perceived poor recruiting in-state. That’s driven almost entirely by St. Louis. That’s a very weird recruiting dynamic, where the “Country of St. Louis” attitude (ie St Louis kinship over state kinship) is alive and well.

Personally, I’m not sure how often the St. Louis stars are worth the trouble (in football). Mizzou always has to do more than other schools - even peer programs - to get those kids, it seems.
Matt Ruhle would've been the guy.

STL has been a thorn in Mizzou Athletics since Norm Stewart. I don't get it and we had money men in Kroenke and Laurie....but, that bridge will never be rebuilt.
[Reply]
'Hamas' Jenkins 12:34 PM 10-21-2019
Originally Posted by DJ's left nut:
Barry Odom isn't the reason that Kelly Bryant combined the worst parts of Alex Smith and Matt Cassel into a single passer yesterday.

Everyone's trying to make this a lot more complicated than it is. Kelly Bryant left 200 yards+ of offense on the field yesterday by being a pussy, dropping his eyes and not following his progressions at all.

We haven't had that poor a game under center since Farmer and people want to use that as some justification for firing Barry Odom?

Bryant played like shit early, got skittish and reluctant to pull the trigger, then forced a fucking AWFUL interception when he had 2 guys open in front of him because he never took his eyes off Albert O.

You couldn't play that position more poorly if you tried. Kelly Bryant murdered the Tigers chances of winning that game yesterday.
Those things were also said. Fear not, he was excoriated, and rightfully so.
[Reply]
DJ's left nut 01:10 PM 10-21-2019
Originally Posted by Mosbonian:
Kelly Bryant wasn't the only reason MU lost on Saturday although he is a big reason.

But the fact that MU came in totally unprepared to beat a woeful Vandy team, who up to that point, hadn't been able to stop a running game is all square on Odom and his coaches.

And it isn't the first time either...

The road to a 10-2 season was all set up this year....the fact that MU lost to Wyoming and Vandy already rests with the coaches and the players.
I just don't see how you can say they 'came in unprepared'.

I mean that's what every everyone says about every game Mizzou has lost in Odom's tenure, and SOMETIMES it's fair (Wyoming, for instance) but it wasn't fair against Vandy. They didn't get destroyed on defense and they weren't just slapdicking around on offense.

The defense played fairly well and did their level best to keep Mizzou in it. The offensive line wasn't excellent on interior running plays, but it gave Bryant plenty of time to throw and he had open guys.

No, the team wasn't 'unprepared'. They weren't getting pushed around out there. One single player undercut everything that offense was trying to do by simply fucking refusing to do it. He wouldn't throw the goddamn ball.

I won't ask anyone to watch that game again because I can understand if you'd rather pour bleach on your eyes, but while the broadcast team kept sucking him off for his 'grittiness' and his athleticism, they sure did keep overlooking the fact that he refused to play quarterback at any point.

I don't buy the standard old "boy, we sure Odom'd that one" nonsense for a second. That was a fine plan by the coaching staff and the rest of the guys on the field played somewhere between tolerably and well - that's good enough to win against an inferior team even in SEC play.

Unless your quarterback sabotages just about everything you're trying to do on offense. Kelly Bryant was a disaster on Saturday.
[Reply]
BryanBusby 03:48 PM 10-21-2019
Honestly, I didn't watch a second of that Vandy loss and have zero plans to do so.

Some games they probably aren't prepared, but honestly I just don't think this coaching staff is very good prepared or not.

As for my candidate to replace Odom, I'd look at Jason Candle.
[Reply]
bowener 04:04 PM 10-21-2019
Realistically, what would it cost to get Urban Meyer here? It would give him such an easy road to CFB playoffs once he gets some actual talent here/uses the talent appropriately.
[Reply]
BryanBusby 04:10 PM 10-21-2019
Urban Meyer would never ever return to the SEC. Especially to a program like this.
[Reply]
Titty Meat 04:50 PM 10-21-2019
Originally Posted by bowener:
Realistically, what would it cost to get Urban Meyer here? It would give him such an easy road to CFB playoffs once he gets some actual talent here/uses the talent appropriately.
:-)
[Reply]
'Hamas' Jenkins 05:43 PM 10-21-2019
Originally Posted by bowener:
That would never, ever happen, but...

I would immediately divest myself of my ST and would refuse to support anything related to Mizzou athletics until the AD and Meyer were gone.

Calling Meyer scum is an insult to scum. He's among the most vile coaches in the history of college athletics.
[Reply]
'Hamas' Jenkins 05:45 PM 10-21-2019

I mean that's what every everyone says about every game Mizzou has lost in Odom's tenure, and SOMETIMES it's fair (Wyoming, for instance) but it wasn't fair against Vandy. They didn't get destroyed on defense and they weren't just slapdicking around on offense.

The defense played fairly well and did their level best to keep Mizzou in it. The offensive line wasn't excellent on interior running plays, but it gave Bryant plenty of time to throw and he had open guys.

No, the team wasn't 'unprepared'. They weren't getting pushed around out there. One single player undercut everything that offense was trying to do by simply fucking refusing to do it. He wouldn't throw the goddamn ball.

I won't ask anyone to watch that game again because I can understand if you'd rather pour bleach on your eyes, but while the broadcast team kept sucking him off for his 'grittiness' and his athleticism, they sure did keep overlooking the fact that he refused to play quarterback at any point.

I don't buy the standard old "boy, we sure Odom'd that one" nonsense for a second. That was a fine plan by the coaching staff and the rest of the guys on the field played somewhere between tolerably and well - that's good enough to win against an inferior team even in SEC play.

Unless your quarterback sabotages just about everything you're trying to do on offense. Kelly Bryant was a disaster on Saturday.
Twelve penalties totaling 120 yards points to a substantial lack of discipline, which is part of the preparation process. Not to mention the coaching staff's inability to adjust the offense in any fashion, and the inability to again think about situational football (attempting a 48 yard FG down seven w/ six minutes left with a basket-case kicker).

Bryant was a hard F, but so was the staff. It was a miserable performance.
[Reply]
Mosbonian 07:13 PM 10-21-2019

No, the team wasn't 'unprepared'. They weren't getting pushed around out there. One single player undercut everything that offense was trying to do by simply ****ing refusing to do it. He wouldn't throw the goddamn ball.

We will have to agree to disagree. They looked like they had no motivation in playing this game and the fact that they had so many penalties shows a lack of discipline. That is on the coaching ....and while they did play good at times the 2 offensive TD's were on plays where everyone seemed lost and tackling was an option.

The fact is they came into the game "mailing it in"and Vandy took advantage of it. We should have done the same thing to Vandy that UNLV did the prior week. Instead people are shaking their head and saying..."see Mizzou is what we believe them to be...overrated".

I get it...you are an Odom supporter...that is fine.

I have seen enough to know MU isn't going anywhere with him as the Head Coach. We will be stuck with mediocrity.
[Reply]
Titty Meat 07:57 PM 10-21-2019
Originally Posted by 'Hamas' Jenkins:
That would never, ever happen, but...

I would immediately divest myself of my ST and would refuse to support anything related to Mizzou athletics until the AD and Meyer were gone.

Calling Meyer scum is an insult to scum. He's among the most vile coaches in the history of college athletics.
Theres a guy who's doin a good job at Youngstown St and won a title as DC at LSU. I hope you guys hire him :-)
[Reply]
BryanBusby 08:43 PM 10-21-2019
Originally Posted by Titty Meat:
Theres a guy who's doin a good job at Youngstown St and won a title as DC at LSU. I hope you guys hire him :-)
Looking back, Nebraska should have kept him :-)
[Reply]
Titty Meat 09:46 PM 10-21-2019
Originally Posted by BryanBusby:
Looking back, Nebraska should have kept him :-)
Nah. Cant act like an asshole and call out your new boss and the fans.

Which is why unless Odom losses to Kentucky, Tenny and Arkansas theres no way he will get fired. The AD isnt losing his job because the football coach wins 8-9 games and get them to a bowl every year. He would be stupid to hire a new coach because if that doesn't work out he could very well get axed. Plus the basketball team seems to be alright. No need to stir the pot.
[Reply]
dlphg9 10:14 PM 10-21-2019
Originally Posted by Titty Meat:
Nah. Cant act like an asshole and call out your new boss and the fans.

Which is why unless Odom losses to Kentucky, Tenny and Arkansas theres no way he will get fired. The AD isnt losing his job because the football coach wins 8-9 games and get them to a bowl every year. He would be stupid to hire a new coach because if that doesn't work out he could very well get axed. Plus the basketball team seems to be alright. No need to stir the pot.
Sounds like we are stuck with the Alex Smith of college coaches. We are in hell.
[Reply]
Page 23 of 72
« First < 131920212223 2425262733 > Last »
Up