ChiefsPlanet Mobile
Page 1 of 2
1 2 >
Nzoner's Game Room>chiefs not great defensive linemen
oaklandhater 08:57 PM 10-22-2017
https://kckingdom.com/2017/10/22/kan...nsive-linemen/

The big boys up front on defense have been largely nonexistent in the recent ugly performances by the Kansas City Chiefs.

As I began to create an outline for this article on the Kansas City Chiefs defense, I had some troubles with deciding where to even start. For some reason, my mind kept going to a couple of popular episodes from my all time favorite television series. (Spoilers ahead)

For all of “The Office” fans reading this – I dare you to go back and watch episodes 14 and 15 in season five – ‘Stress Relief Part One, and Part Two’ (Repeat, spoilers ahead).

Lacking detail to get directly to my point as quick as possible; in these episodes, Regional Manager of Dunder Mifflin Michael Scott hosts a “Michael Scott roast session” to ease tension within the office. After being harshly roasted by his employees, out of anger Scott turns around later to roast them back.

How does this come into play with the Kansas City Chiefs defensive linemen? It’s quite easy actually, this article will be the equivalent of that Michael Scott roast session (but not as harsh). My goal is to not make this article a full on roast session towards the Chiefs defense, but, out of spite, it may happen.

What exactly is the problem?

Defensive coordinator Bob Sutton has holes to fill, and he better do it fast. There are a number of things going wrong on the defensive side of the football, which makes this team go from great, to oh great, not again.

Losing Dontari Poe to free agency stung a little but. I would jokingly say right about now, that we lost a quarterback, and a defensive lineman, but forcing jokes when the timing isn’t right is a big pet-peeve of mine.

The absence of Poe suddenly became less painful when the Chiefs acquired former Eagles defensive lineman Bennie Logan from the market. Logan’s large frame creates scary match-ups for the opposition. However, Logan, along with the energizing bunny in Chris Jones, anchored by Allen Bailey, and Rakeem Nunez-Roches made the Chiefs actually seem to own a solid front. But, boy am I wrong, or what?

Along with the beef, the outside pressure from the best in the business Justin Houston, and his wingman Dee Ford creates a freaky outside presence…normally.

Where Is The Outside Pass Rush?

Justin Houston at times does look like his typical self. However, there are times (such as loss to the Oakland Raiders) where Houston is simply shut down at kickoff. His buddy Dee Ford has had a solid year thus far, yet his hip injury holds him back a little. A long break between now and next Monday should solve this problem.

In all honesty, I have trouble blaming Justin Houston, and Dee Ford for the lack of pressure on the quarterback. At the same time though, this is one of their primary responsibilities, and lately they have lacked pressure.

According to this stat listed above, Dee Ford and Justin Houston, followed by Chris Jones, are the only ones who applied pressure throughout the whole game in their loss to the Raiders. I do not really feel like breaking it down anymore than it already is though. It speaks for itself.

Is this problem fixable?

Easily.

The Kansas City Chiefs do have a lot of talent up front. I think it all boils down to Bob Sutton sparking a fire under his big boys. Sutton does not seem to be the type to ignite his players, but I truly think what they need is that fire, and perhaps call more blitzes. The defense constantly looks shy. The offensive linemen across from them hardly look rattled because base blocking gets them by.

I do not think there needs to be a personnel change from a player’s standpoint, the Chiefs have the capabilities to indeed own a strong presence up front; it just needs to translate into games, in order to be considered effective. Bob Sutton needs to see show that he wants to keep his job. He has the talent, and he best utilize it soon.

There is not much that needs to be done from a fan standpoint. This long break until the next game surely will give the professionals time to break down the film, and find the easy fixes that make huge differences on the field.
[Reply]
ThaVirus 09:02 PM 10-22-2017
They've been shit.

I know we rarely blitz and 3 or 4 pass rushers < 5 OL and sometimes a chipping TE or RB but fuck, man. Someone disengage a blocker and make a play on the QB.
[Reply]
NJChiefsFan 09:07 PM 10-22-2017
I haven't watched the Oakland or PIT games a second time. I also don't usually watch just one player during actual games. So in saying that I can't be entirely sure but it sure seems like Chris Jones is in a sophmore slump.

Truth be told I hope I'm right. Jones is going to be real good so if he is struggling that's at least a player we can rationally expect to get better over the course of the season.
[Reply]
Hammock Parties 09:09 PM 10-22-2017
Originally Posted by :
I think it all boils down to Bob Sutton sparking a fire under his big boys. Sutton does not seem to be the type to ignite his players, but I truly think what they need is that fire, and perhaps call more blitzes.

[Reply]
BryanBusby 09:10 PM 10-22-2017
Originally Posted by NJChiefsFan:
I haven't watched the Oakland or PIT games a second time. I also don't usually watch just one player during actual games. So in saying that I can't be entirely sure but it sure seems like Chris Jones is in a sophmore slump.

Truth be told I hope I'm right. Jones is going to be real good so if he is struggling that's at least a player we can rationally expect to get better over the course of the season.
Chris Jones isn't the issue on that Defense.
[Reply]
LoneWolf 09:12 PM 10-22-2017
Who was the third grader who wrote this article. Jesus Christ what an abortion.
[Reply]
Meatloaf 09:13 PM 10-22-2017
We definitely seem tolack speed and quickness in our DL. They're strong, but slow. In fact, I think Houston looks a little slow this year too. Then, of course, DJ has lost a step or two. And Zombo ain't exactly a speedster. All in all, our front 7 just seem slower than in the past.
[Reply]
New World Order 09:15 PM 10-22-2017
Originally Posted by Hammock Parties:
:-)
[Reply]
Direckshun 09:17 PM 10-22-2017
My favorite part of this piece was learning that losing Dontari Poe stung a little butt.
[Reply]
Hammock Parties 09:17 PM 10-22-2017
Originally Posted by LoneWolf:
Who was the third grader who wrote this article. Jesus Christ what an abortion.

[Reply]
Direckshun 09:18 PM 10-22-2017
Jesus he may actually be a 3rd grader.

Maaaaaybe we go easy on him.
[Reply]
RunKC 09:19 PM 10-22-2017
Fansided ia such a terrible company. They think they are the new bleacher report.

So many guys on twitter writing for them and not knowing shit about this team. At least AP designates their articles as "fan posts".
[Reply]
BryanBusby 09:20 PM 10-22-2017
No way that kid is over the age of 14.
[Reply]
carcosa 09:21 PM 10-22-2017
Football!
[Reply]
RunKC 09:21 PM 10-22-2017
kyle hull
@khull1435
Sup guys it's Kyle and you're watching Disney channel
12:42 AM · Sep 13, 2017

I'm not making this up. This really is his pinned tweet. He really is a 3rd grader.
[Reply]
Page 1 of 2
1 2 >
Up