ChiefsPlanet Mobile
Page 8 of 12
« First < 45678 9101112 >
Saccopoo Memorial Draft Forum>The possibility of keeping Alex Smith.
Direckshun 01:36 PM 09-08-2017
Alright, let's get down to some nitty gritty here, folks.

What if Alex Smith is amazing in 2017? The Chiefs hand will be forced -- keep him. 2018 will be the final year of his contract and it's a $20m cap hit. Not unreasonable for a guy playing extremely well.

So, what would the Chiefs have to do?

First, we pretty much have the cap met RIGHT NOW, assuming we bring back absolutely no one who is a free agent. So our cap is royally fucked.

The two most popular ideas right now are cutting DJ/Hali, or letting them both retire, or whatever. Cutting them saves us a combined $15m. We likely have DJ's replacements already on the roster, and Ford will be entering his contract year in 2018.

We can also cut (or trade) Allen Bailey if we want to elevate RNR to a starting slot. Trading Bailey saves us $8m (and nets us a draft pick or whatever). Cutting him saves us $6m.

If Eric Fisher has a really good 2017, maybe we just extend/restructure him at the end of the season. That would lower his cap hit in 2018 (right now it's slated for $14m).

I wouldn't touch Allen Bailey, but I'd cut DJ/Hali and extend/restructure Fisher. That allows us to keep Mr. Smith and have roughly $20m in cap space, $5m of which can go to our rookie class.

I think it's non-negotiable that we bring back Terrance Mitchell, but he shouldn't cost a ton. Bennie Logan might be a good idea -- although, again, we could just play RNR at the nose and be fine (which is what I would do if we kept Smith on the roster).

So my recommendation, keeping Alex rather than trading him:

1. cut/retire DJ
2. cut/retire Hali
3. restructure/extend Fisher
4. extend Terrance Mitchell
5. let basically all of our FAs walk: De'Anthony, Fulton, Logan, Sherman, Albert Wilson, Gaines, Colquitt
6. make a few choice re-signings (Santos, KPL, maybe Gaines?)

That'll leave us thin at DL, OL, and OLB -- which I hate. And the best draft pick we'll have in 2018 will be at the very bottom of the 2nd.

But hey, if your QB is balling out, who cares?

Food for thought.
[Reply]
Discuss Thrower 11:12 AM 09-16-2017
He hasn't played bad enough to justify going to a guy who will have at most three full preseason games' worth of experience.
[Reply]
Hammock Parties 11:27 AM 09-16-2017
Originally Posted by Discuss Thrower:
He hasn't played bad enough to justify going to a guy who will have at most three full preseason games' worth of experience.
The Chiefs drafted Mahomes for a reason, though.

They know Smith is only going to get worse from this point. If he isn't legitimately giving them a chance to win a Super Bowl I really think they move on.

They're done treading water.
[Reply]
RealSNR 11:53 AM 09-16-2017

Andy traded Donovan McNabb to a team in his own goddamn division. And McNabb wasn't playing poorly at the time, neither was Kevin Kolb demonstrably ready for the job.

Let's not act like Alex is a golden goose when not even Donovan McNabb was one in Philly
[Reply]
Sweet Daddy Hate 08:26 PM 09-16-2017
It's time for the Chiefs to be the Chiefs.
Decades of absolutely NO identity as a team, and barely as a franchise are about to come to a close. Mahomes represents an identity of relevance that no bought and paid for free agent can ever replicate.
Look no further than Denver. Buying Manning isn't what brought that franchise from the edge of the cliff and back to national interest; hiring Elway WAS.
The Chiefs are moving forward to an era that will be the best the franchise has seen since its inception, as well as being the highest peak of Andy Reid's professional career.
Putting the car in reverse would be sheer idiocy.
[Reply]
threebag 09:11 PM 09-16-2017

[Reply]
Direckshun 01:05 PM 09-17-2017
Wellllllll we still have a quarter to go.

Buuuuuut lol
[Reply]
Sweet Daddy Hate 01:14 PM 09-17-2017
And so, another moronic CP/Smith idea floats merrily down the sanitary pipe to the water treatment plant where it will soon make a fine slurry for growing crops.
[Reply]
OldSchool 03:49 PM 09-17-2017
Originally Posted by Direckshun:
Wellllllll we still have a quarter to go.

Buuuuuut lol
Was clutch in the 4th.:-)
[Reply]
RealSNR 03:51 PM 09-17-2017
Alex Smith had an Alex Smith game?

I'm shocked. SHOCKED I TELL YOU
[Reply]
mnchiefsguy 04:13 PM 09-17-2017

Extending Alex creates dead cap space down the road. That might have been the Dorsey way, but I think the Chiefs are not going to damage the future for a mediocre qb today.
[Reply]
threebag 04:29 PM 09-17-2017
75% completion percentage, 251 yards, 1 Touchdown, QBR 113.0 just an average day...
[Reply]
Molitoth 09:02 AM 09-18-2017
Originally Posted by threebag02:
75% completion percentage, 251 yards, 1 Touchdown, QBR 113.0 just an average day...
Pretty much. Average.
[Reply]
Molitoth 09-18-2017, 09:03 AM
This message has been deleted by Molitoth.
milkman 10:14 AM 09-20-2017
Numbers mean jack.

But it should be clear to anyone that can see, that Alex is playing a different game than he has ever played.

But at the end of the day, this should still be his last year as a Chief.
[Reply]
threebag 11:37 AM 09-20-2017
I only put the numbers up for the clowns

Yes, Alex is kicking ass

Respectfully no, he will be a Chief beyond seasons end :-)
[Reply]
kccrow 04:37 PM 09-20-2017
I only put the numbers up for the clowns

Yes, Alex is kicking ass

Respectfully no, he will be a Chief beyond seasons end :-)
I have serious doubts.

1. If the Chiefs keep Alex through 2018, the only opportunity they have to be compensated for letting him go would be a 2020 compensatory selection. If they instead trade him at season's end, they stand to acquire a better draft choice earlier in Mahomes' career which could help with continuing to fortify the cast around him.

2. The Chiefs are not in a prime position from a cap standpoint to sit on Alex's contract through 2018, especially if they chose to retain either Johnson or Hali in the last year of their respective deals.

3. The Chiefs have an opportunity to cash in on Mahomes minimal contract for four years rather than three, and at the same time give him more playing experience before that minimal contract expires.

4. Extending Alex is equally prohibitive to the further growth of Mahomes and the cap situation given impending contracts of some of the team's best players.

The Chiefs would be idiots to keep Smith beyond this season.
[Reply]
Page 8 of 12
« First < 45678 9101112 >
Up